Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I park in the oversized parking at my office. A truck in front of me started up the other day. It sounded like a jet plane. I have never heard a diesel sound like that.

I have a stock 2008 6.7l, but I was wondering if the jet engine sound was the intake. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I park in the oversized parking at my office. A truck in front of me started up the other day. It sounded like a jet plane. I have never heard a diesel sound like that.

I have a stock 2008 6.7l, but I was wondering if the jet engine sound was the intake. Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks,
Jay
I have a buddy with a straight piped D-Max and it sounds like a jet, just a whooosh sound at idle, I believe its the variable vane turbo on them cause the older D-Maxs didn't have that sound.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
it most likely was a 5.9 with CAI, straight piped with no silencer ring.
thats how my truck sounds like.

·
Registered
315 Posts
It was more than likely a ford. From what I understand the sound comes from the vgt turbo and the flap that closes ( technical name is not coming to me) during warm-up. It is more noticeable when they are straight piped. I think it sounds preety cool.

·
Banned
706 Posts
It was more than likely a ford. From what I understand the sound comes from the vgt turbo and the flap that closes ( technical name is not coming to me) during warm-up. It is more noticeable when they are straight piped. I think it sounds preety cool.
You right pods. I bet it was a FORD. On that Garrett turbo if you have a straight exhaust and put a different compressor wheel it literally sounds like an A-10 warthog. Even with stock turbo and a straight exhaust it hisses.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My buddy has a 04 Dura crap that sounds exactly like that.

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,126 Posts
A 6.7 screams like a jet plane when you start it up with the engine brake on and a DPF delete when the motors cold. My truck screams and I get tons of head turns at the traffic lights when my trucks not up to operating temp yet. The jet plane noise stops when the trucks warmed up. There are a couple videos on the 6.7L Performance Parts Discussion of the 6.7 warming up with the engine brake on.

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,126 Posts

·
Smells like Bananas
7,240 Posts
how many figures am i holding up?????

it could have been any of them.

·
Smells like Bananas
7,240 Posts
A 6.7 screams like a jet plane when you start it up with the engine brake on and a DPF delete when the motors cold. My truck screams and I get tons of head turns at the traffic lights when my trucks not up to operating temp yet. The jet plane noise stops when the trucks warmed up. There are a couple videos on the 6.7L Performance Parts Discussion of the 6.7 warming up with the engine brake on.
no it was not a 6.7 using the EB to warm up. That guy is in texas, it does not get cold, cool, or warm here. it stays hot here yr round damn near

·
Banned
706 Posts

·
Banned
706 Posts
Does yours sound like this?YouTube - 03 turbo whistle of a 6.0 powerstroke

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
my brother friend has a 6.0 with a quadzilla xzillerater strait piped and it sounds exactly like you explained it.

·
Banned
706 Posts
Does yours sound like this?
YouTube - C5 Galaxy low start at ramstein AB

·
Registered
717 Posts
Sounds like a Detroit, series 60

·
Banned
706 Posts
Ok, last one. Seriously, does it sound like this?
YouTube - LOWASS A-10 FlyBY!! HighQuality.

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,126 Posts

·
Braaap, Braaap, BOOM!!!
6,126 Posts
no it was not a 6.7 using the EB to warm up. That guy is in texas, it does not get cold, cool, or warm here. it stays hot here yr round damn near
Ummmmm if you read the order of the post he never said what kind of diesel truck he heard till AFTER my post. I was just making a simple post and suggestion. He posted after mine what truck it was. Sorry I am not physic. You don't have keep doing your ego trip in every post you make.

·
Registered
289 Posts
A truck? You couldn't tell if it was ford, chevy, or dodge? you can tell between any of them from any angle... maybe a bit more details?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts