Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about just Upgrading my Transmisson with a Flex plate, Torque Converter and Valve body. My Question is what kind of horse power do yall think this set up will hold. In other words what can I safely Set my Smarty To? Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Not to sound like a punk but it really depends on your right foot. I would not do any boosted or 4wd drive launches cause your stock input shaft is the weak link now. But for cruising around and the occasional hot rodding you should be ok..

·
Registered
587 Posts
yes You should be fine as long as you use the bump on your shoulders. I had 110hp injectors a ps 62 and the smarty and drove it like I stole it and never broke a shaft but I never did 4x launches I just let the tires smolder or eased into it. I ended up taking out the clutches in my auto because of a bad seal when the trans was rebuilt.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Eventually I'm gonna do the same thing. I was told by 2 diesel mechanics that if you upgrade the TC, valve body, and input shaft, that the tranny can hold up to most mods done to increase HP & Torque. I think if do all of that your tranny set up should be fine.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys I really dont race much (at least not from a stop so I dont do boost launches) I was just making sure it would hold some hotroding on higher settings

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what does a set of input,output shafts normally run? price wise

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I beleive a new input shaft costs around $700. This is a ballpark figure. But I think it's worth it, especially for peace of mind.

·
Registered
587 Posts
yes an input is $650-700. it is basically all you would need until you take it to the next level.

·
Premium Member
15,465 Posts
I am thinking about just Upgrading my Transmisson with a Flex plate, Torque Converter and Valve body. My Question is what kind of horse power do yall think this set up will hold. In other words what can I safely Set my Smarty To? Any help will be appreciated.
Do the input shaft and leave the stock flex plate for a fuse in case you hit it just right. Flex plate a lot cheaper to replace than intermediate or output shaft.

The stocker is not that bad and the way most billet converters are built there is a lot more contact area to keep the flexing to a minimum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts