Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Ram 2500, Auto, 4x4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a replacement turbo from smeding diesel. I just ordered it so I have not received it yet but I want to make sure I have any other parts needed on hand for the swap. I noticed that in the picture there is a plug where the wastage actuator solenoid goes. Do I remove that and install the solenoid? Is there a jumper I can put on the plug and not use the solenoid? Thanks I’m advance for the help this is all new to me. I have a picture of what the turbo looks like for reference.
Camera accessory Cameras & optics Automotive lighting Font Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
Lower carbon footprint than electric vehicles
3,277 Posts
That looks like the typical he351 retrofitted for a 2nd gen truck but after looking at their website that's their 3rd gen drop in. Just like with running an s300/400 or whatever other turbo that doesn't use an electronic boost actuated wastegate you'l just leave your solenoid plug off and adjust the spring.

Reactions: Saleva403
4,328 Posts
Your other posts state that your truck is a 2006. Please update your signature to confirm.

What do the Smeding installation instructions say for that turbo?
Do have the link to that turbo?

If it's much larger than stock and doesn't use the stock electronic wastegate, you have more research to do. :)

4,328 Posts
This looks like the turbo you are referring to:

It states "drop-in" replacement. To me that means it must still use the stock electronic wastegate.
But the picture shows a plug there??
If the electronic wastegate is not plugged in it will set a CEL and DTC. Wastegate foolers are readily available or EFI Live programming.

Turbo specs:
Compressor Inducer - 59mm
Compressor Exducer - 80mm
Exhaust A/R - 0.84
Adjustable Wastegate Pre-Set - 36 psig
Extended Tip Billet Compressor Wheel

It is slightly larger than the stock turbo. You may need a boost fooler to avoid overboost DTC's, or better yet EFI Live programming and a full set of gauges or monitor.

Plus a built auto transmission, larger injectors, valve springs and head studs, etc, etc, etc,.. :)

·
Registered
2006 Ram 2500, Auto, 4x4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the response. I have some upgrades already. Airdog lift pump, dynamite diesel 90hp injectors, exhaust, edg evolution cts3, head studs, and a few other minor things. I just didn’t know if I should install my solenoid there or use a boost fooler that plugs into the same harness. I can turn my wastage on and off with my tuner as well.

·
Registered
2006 Ram 2500, Auto, 4x4
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your other posts state that your truck is a 2006. Please update your signature to confirm.

What do the Smeding installation instructions say for that turbo?
Do have the link to that turbo?

If it's much larger than stock and doesn't use the stock electronic wastegate, you have more research to do. :)
I apologize I will update that now.

·
Vendor
9,091 Posts
That turbo is close to stock for the compressor size. Standard he351CW is 60mm/86mm If you have 90HP injecotrs and programmer you will want a 63mm s300 or bigger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts