Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I think I have it figured out on how to make the switch. #7 pin goes to on side of the toggle switch and the other side goes to ground with a 33ohm resistor inline correct? Theres so many threads on this subject Im kind of confused about it all. I would use mine only at drag strip when racing. Would it be best to lock it in 1st or wait til it hits 2nd gear and lock it up? Also should I turn tow haul on or off when racing? With it being lock it will shift all the way up to overdrive won't it? Once it hits overdrive I can turn the switch off since it will be locked up anyways right? Also say if I am cruising down the highway at a speed of like 45mph and I want to floor it and take off. Should I lock it up then flip the switch or floor it so it will downshift and then lock it up?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Well if you lock it up after first, the engine gets lugged big time. I got one and not sure why.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It gets lugged even at WOT? How come everyone says to lock it up in 2nd when wot racing

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I don't think it will lock up in 1st.

Yes, people use it for racing. It is hard on the tranny. Even with billet shafts.

I would leave it on untill you cross the line and get out of it.

Randy

·
Premium Member
19,810 Posts
so is this bad to use all the time? i thought they were suppose to help out with towing. i just got one and from what i just read that scares me.

·
Premium Member
15,462 Posts
so is this bad to use all the time? i thought they were suppose to help out with towing. i just got one and from what i just read that scares me.
It helps towing by not allowing all the downshifting the stock trans wants to do, but, you had better have the power to pull the load when needed.

Used indiscriminately it will destroy a trans in short order, use it judiciously and it will save your trans.

Double edged sword there. :peelout

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I put mine on to dyno my truck. And I have used it a few times when I have raced it. I don't tow alot, but I've never had an issue with the truck wanting to downshift with the power I have.

They say that the locked shifts are hard on the shafts. So if you don't have billet ones, I'd be careful about using it.

I wouldn't use it the way you describe the 45 mph floor it unless you have deep pockets.:$:

Randy

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thats the only time I want to use it is racing.. Usually I either race from a dead stop or a slow roll around 25mph.. If its from a dead stop Ill just lock it up as soon as I have 2nd gear.. But how would you lock it up from a roll when racing? Also was the way I mentioned wiring it up correct?

·
Premium Member
15,462 Posts
Thats the only time I want to use it is racing.. Usually I either race from a dead stop or a slow roll around 25mph.. If its from a dead stop Ill just lock it up as soon as I have 2nd gear.. But how would you lock it up from a roll when racing? Also was the way I mentioned wiring it up correct?
Yes, the way you wired it is correct.

It doesn't matter if you turn it on while the trans is in first, it won't lock. The VB forces fluid against the valve so it can't lock.

As soon as your engine revs you can turn it on no matter the gear. It will lock in second and shift locked to locked from then on. The stock shaft will stand a little bit of this with the low line pressures and will slip the clutch packs until something gives, then its rebuild time.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I don't do it often and I have a full billet trans so I should be ok right?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has anyone has any shifting problems with the switch and the way I explained wiring it up?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was just doing some readin and saw some guys that wired it like I mentioned and it was just not wanting to shift gears and when it did it would shift through them really quick..

·
Registered
90 Posts
It depends on your valvebody what gear it will lock up in 1st or 2nd. The reason you don't want it to lock up in 1st is your putting all the strain on the case instead of the clutches and can crack the case.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a goerend vb. I remember him saying for it to lock up in 1st he would have to drill holes and stuff.. I told him dont worry about that. So I think mine will only lock up in 2nd. If thats the case can I still hit the switch in 1st or would it be best to wait til I hit 2nd?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have used mine some times while in 1st and let it shift to 2nd while locked. If I'm giving it WOT while doing that, it some times doesn't allow the shift and revs really high. I hit the button to turn off, it shifts and hit the button on again.

I would recommend using from 2nd gear on.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I use mine for towing when I do....I use it conservatively around town when I get tired of the dreaded 2-3-2-3 shift or the almost dreaded 2-3 flair, to hold the converter locked up until I come to a light and then unlock it...works wonders for towing as long as you dont leave it locked between shifts as this can be extremely hard on the shafts and the bands....:peelout

As far as the track goes I lock mine up either at the top of first or as soon as I get into second....but BE WARE THAT THIS IS NOT RECOMENDED FOR WEAK HEARTS OR WALLETS!!!!:CRY:
YOU WILL EVENTUALLY BREAK SOMETHING!!!!!:thumbsup

I just do it cause I know that something will break sooner or later :popcorn:and when it does I will fix it!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts