Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

question about grid heater delete

1150 Views 14 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  carl48
Hi I live in Florida and planing trip to the NW,did the grid heater delete, but was wondering how cold the temps you can go in before the truck doesn't want to start. Or any experiance at what temps you've been in and still worked fine. Oh yea NW meaning Washington,Oregon and Idaho areas and somewhere's in between. Thanks in advance
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
777 Posts
i dont about how low of a temp would affect it but the way the weather has been in florida id keep the grid heater for a bit longer lol

· Registered
523 Posts
Mines out and has been out about a year, I have had no problems at all with the truck starting during this unusual cold snap for us down here. The only thing I have noticed is the truck takes about 5 mins longer to warm up while driving to work. The truck has only gone in to high idle once in the last two weeks. I live inland away from the coast so I have been seeing temps in the the low to mid 30's in the mornings when leaving for work.

· Registered
44 Posts
Mines out and has been out about a year, I have had no problems at all with the truck starting during this unusual cold snap for us down here. The only thing I have noticed is the truck takes about 5 mins longer to warm up while driving to work. The truck has only gone in to high idle once in the last two weeks. I live inland away from the coast so I have been seeing temps in the the low to mid 30's in the mornings when leaving for work.
Holy crap batman,its yhat cold down there.:shock:
Get any snow flurries yet?:rof
J/K

· Tennesse Chapter President
1,798 Posts
It was 12* int Tennessee yesterday, windchill was about 5* and it fired right up :thumbsup:

Reactions: ride0169

· Registered
1,639 Posts
Doesnt often get this cold here, but got down to *15 here in the DFW area this week and started up just fine, no smoke/stumble/anything. Many guys have started even colder without any issues...

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doesnt often get this cold here, but got down to *15 here in the DFW area this week and started up just fine, no smoke/stumble/anything. Many guys have started even colder without any issues...
Thanks, I guess a little anti-gel won't hurt either. Thanks again great forum.

· Registered
2,289 Posts
sorry if this is a dumb question, but why would you want to do a grid heater delete? even if you live in a warm area, what's the problem with keeping it?
The thought is that you get better air flow to the engine. I've dyno'd mine with and without it, and got the same #'s. I think I'm going to leave mine in.

Randy

· Registered
2,462 Posts
I dont like the grid heater for the fact that is draws so much juice to run it. Voltmeter goes back and forth, ALL lights dim and brighten....it drives me nuts...

· Registered
1,935 Posts
two night ago it got down to 19 degrees below zero it was still 2 degrees when i started it up. the block was some where in between

· Registered
523 Posts
Holy crap batman,its yhat cold down there.:shock:
Get any snow flurries yet?:rof
J/K
Well we will see how she does this morning, it is 24* with the wind chill right know. Dang think this is the coldest it's been in my house since I lived in it.......

· Registered
1,935 Posts
no anti gel. but winter blend fuel

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.