Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, there are only a few places around me that sell diesel.

one is a gas city, and is almost $.50 overpriced everyone else. they are nuts.

and there is a Wal-Mart gas station that has it for real cheap. much cheaper than gas city is.

so, my question is, does it matter what kind of diesel you put in youre truck, as much as it matters what kind of gas you put in your car?

i know BP premium gas is pretty much the best you can buy, and if you have a performance car to stay away from Wal-Mart. i fill up at walmart with my ranger because its cheap, and not exactly high performance.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I usually try to fill at a local truck stop here. They are pretty competitive and have a better turn over with fuel. They also sell LSD which is a plus to me.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You must be thinking of ULSD.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I agree with mnram about getting fuel from busy station. Less change of getting bad fuel. I didn't think they still sell LSD.

Eugene

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
Yes nitro is does matter. The base fuel,quality,btu's ,moisture lubricity aare all variables in fuel batches. More turnover helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so, you want to go to a busy place right? I see diesel trucks at walmart all the time filling up.

if i get a new FASS system with the filters and junk, does that have any water seperating ability? what can i do to get water out of the fuel. also, once i get the truck, i definetly plan on running 2 stroke oil as an expiriment. it sounds pretty cool!

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
If I need fuel locally, I buy mine from our local Walmart. They sell so much of it around here because they are the cheapest in the area, by far. I don't worry about it. I've never had a problem with it. I mean heck, I'm there already shopping and getting groceries, I just fuel the truck up before I head for home.

·
Registered
192 Posts
In oregoon I was told we don't have testing done.WE are the dumping grounds for poor quality diesel.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
fuel often comes from a bulk supplier and is distributed to all area stations. Different companies will mix their own additives to the gasoline prior to the delivery. More often than not all diesel in a particular area also comes from a bulk supplier and upon delivery there is no difference in quality between the stations as additives are rarely added to diesel fuel. The main difference is the freshness and cleanliness of the fuel at the pump. If walmart is the cheapest and therefore sells the most i wouldn’t think twice about saving money and buying it there

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bulk supplier fuel at Exxon started to use up too many fuel filters. It wasn't Exxon fuel. Went back to Chevron about 10,000 after new engine and found less filter contamination (some red stuff), and better fuel economy by about 1.5 to 2/gal. That's on rollback truck with Detroit 8.2. On the 07 Ram 3500, I'm using Chevron diesel also.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The diesel I buy is around 4-10 cents more per gallon then Walmart diesel but it pays for me to use the higher priced fuel as I get better mpg from it. Now if the Walmart diesel was 20 cents per gallon cheaper then I would buy it even though I get lower fuel mileage from it as the cost off sets the mileage difference.

grandpapa,

You are correct that Oregon does not test there gas or diesel that is unless they started to do so in the last few years. At one time Oregon was a dumping ground for bad fuel from the states of WA, ID, CA and NV as those states test there fuel or use to do so in the past.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I know what you mean as far as not getting as good fuel mileage from Walmart fuel. The Walmart place I go to has 5% Biodiesel in it. The others are 2%. I think the extra Biodiesel in it cuts the BTU's and thus power and economy. I buy it because it's almost .20 cents a gallon cheaper then anybody else. They are one of the only places that passes the tax cut they get for useing it on to the customer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts