Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive a mostly stock 2001 2500 and want to keep it looking that way but I also want to improve my night illumination. I was recently on vacation and rented a Toyota Corolla which had fantastic headlights. It lit up the road at night and was set up so that it wouldn't blind the oncoming traffic. The headlight pattern was a bright, even line going all the way across my line of vision on the road ahead and was very obviously aimed low. I don't want to change my headlights much as I like the factory look but I'm willing to add some bright fog lights. Does anyone know of or have any experience with installing some really bright, aimable fog lights that could come close to what I described the Corolla doing, lighting up the road really well but aimed as low as the normal headlight pattern so oncoming traffic isn't blinded? I really hate when jerks blind me like that and I don't want to be that kind of person. Or are there any good brighter headlights that look factory but don't just blind everyone? From what I've been able to research online, it's a difficult thing to get the headlights correct when going with aftermarket stuff.

·
Registered
2000 Ram 2500 24v SLT Laramie 4x4, 47re automatic
276 Posts
Lots of threads about this, but I'm sitting here bored playing with my new laptop :).......so:

Without changing the headlight system to the sport style or full LEDs or projector to get some improvement, clear lenses, good bulbs and proper setup auxiliary lights are about all you can do.
We all have the same issue with stock headlights.

A few years ago I simply installed new stock headlight and fog light assemblies to get nice clear lenses and fiddled with different bulbs.
Currently using Philips 9004XV headlight bulbs and Philips 886, B1 Standard Fog light Bulbs.
Stock is an 896 35 watt bulb, put in an 881 single filament 55 watt fog light bulb.
The fog light takes a PGJ13 base, there are numerous makes and type numbers that fit the stock plug in, 881, 886, 889, 894, 896, 898, they have different wattage.

I’ve had no issues with extra heat from the 55 watt fog light bulb damaging the lens, but I only turn them on when I need them, driving down county roads at night, fog, etc.

Because I drive a lot of bush roads I had no choice than install auxiliary lights.
Two spot lights at the level of my headlights and two LED fogs at the level of my bumper fog lights.
The spots are generally useless while driving on regular roads, too bright, the LED fogs I'll only use on regular roads if needed, well, because of fog.

I put these on for Aux. fogs from Superbrightleds: AUX-18W-S90B-2PK: 18W 90 degree.
They are OK, there are better ones.
I bought the clear lens ones plus yellow snap lenses and a set of rock protective cover caps for them.
I keep my auxiliary lights covered until I use them.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I run two 18 watt cubes under my bumper mounted on the frame it shoots out right behind my headlights and it helps tremendously.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts