Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here have any recent experience with these units? I installed one on my ride and it really made it sound different. It has a rattle to it now like the valves are loose and almost sounds like it's tapping in the rear of the block. The truck only has 29k and has always purred like a kitten. Anyone familiar with this? I'm fairly new to Cummins and may be overreacting because the truck runs fine and pulls strong it's just noisier than I'm used to. Should I take it off or do other modules have the same effect?

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
i beleive ...... its because , its a timing box.....i installed one too........what kinda mpgs r u getting??????

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure yet, I've only ran 1/4 tank since I put it on and am at 170 miles. Got a ways to go before I can get hard numbers. Did your engine get noisy too with it installed? I don't mean alarmingly noisy, just not like it was without the quad.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
i was told before i installed it ........ that there would be a timing knock ....if u go on their website and go under updates ........... the updates will tell you somewhat to expect after you download the software....... mine mpgs change each week......only had it for bout 3 weeks now......the most i have seen .."handcalculated" is 545 miles in 29 gals...and thats 18.7mpg......but thats mixed driving city/highway.......... at 1/2 a tank im usually at 300-315 miles .....i m always hopeing to see 600 on a full tank.LOL!!!!!! that would be perfect!!!

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
i just did a 4" turbo back exhaust straight piped .....so its gonna be kinda hard to drive normal.....i try to stay under 2000 rpms which is bout 65mph.........

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
that reminds me i need to change my sig

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok that's cool. did you do the regular, the boost fooler, or the city driving update

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
at 1st i updated the factory...after a week i changed to the city/highway.....no boost fooler yet.......now im back to the factory setting......idk...... ..all i know is i got 90 days to decide if i wanna keep it!! or try something else.......im trying to save $$$$ on fuel not blast out the pipe...ya know.......im trying to find some concrete proof on anything else before 90 days..........i MIGHT just try the EDGE mileage........idk...seems like most of the trucks on here are modded out.....so, to take what they r gettin is kinda hard for me to take solid .......cause im stock

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I had the same hard rattle with the Edge MM at first. I unplugged it and plugged it back in a couple of times. Then I got a CEL. Turned key off, then turned key to on position for a minute and the CEL went away. After that all of the hard rattle went away. I have no clue how or why it did that though.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
what kinda mpgs r u gettin w/ the EDGE mileage max........i was kinda headin in their direction.......

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
what kinda mpgs r u gettin w/ the EDGE mileage max........i was kinda headin in their direction.......
Well, I've got 15K on the truck. If I'm not towing I get around 16.4. Towing 5K I got 14.8 I believe. I've got a log but it's in the truck. I also have a thread dedicated to it "Edge Mileage Max Reports".

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
ill have to check it out

·
Registered
769 Posts
I have been running the mileage tune for the past two weeks on my X2. I am running the boost fooler also. You will notice a slight sound difference in the engine with the quad modules. Mostly it's the added timing. I will say my truck don't change sounds until I run anything above the 65hp setting though. My previous towing box was pretty loud, but I never had any problems. Don't worry, it's normal for the engine to change sounds with modules that add timing and pressure.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been running the mileage tune for the past two weeks on my X2. I am running the boost fooler also. You will notice a slight sound difference in the engine with the quad modules. Mostly it's the added timing. I will say my truck don't change sounds until I run anything above the 65hp setting though. My previous towing box was pretty loud, but I never had any problems. Don't worry, it's normal for the engine to change sounds with modules that add timing and pressure.
You've got one of the greatest looking trucks I've seen. Clean lines and most importantly...Different. Awesome

·
Registered
769 Posts
You've got one of the greatest looking trucks I've seen. Clean lines and most importantly...Different. Awesome
Thanks for the great comment, buddy!

·
Diesel Head
1,546 Posts
Really a sharp truck... really... :thumbsup

I'm interested in the mileage modules... getting ready to send in my old XZT for the mileage tune.. any info is great.

I can get 20+ mpg on the highway if I keep it at 60mph or less which is hard to do. That is with all programs off and no boxes on. Just went back to stock turbo so that should help in the mileage department also...

·
Registered
435 Posts
that rattle is normal. Mine does it too. I've seen +1 mpg gain since installing but I'm only on my second legitimate tank. The first went up 2.3 mpgs but that was on the overhead and came down to +1.7 by the end of the tank. The other was terrible with LOTS of stop and go and I stopped and strated the truck like 12 times in one day so I'm not counting it. I've been thinking of the XZT upgrade because of the different settings however, once I downloaded the city mpg download, my mileage went up a little bit. Still trying to decide if I like it enough to keep it though. I think there may be other chips out there better suited to what I need. Also, you can change the timing of the truck manually as well instead of buying a chip. One guy said he got +4 mpg by doing it manually. If you do alot of highway driving, the mileage max is the way to go, if not, I'd get something more adjustable.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
If you want good MPGs out of any enhancement box or programmer you got to follow a simple rule...

"Keep your boost under 5 PSI anf your Pryo under 600*F and 20+ MPG will happen!"

I'm pulling 21.7 to 23.3 MPG constantly using these rules...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
If you want good MPGs out of any enhancement box or programmer you got to follow a simple rule...

"Keep your boost under 5 PSI anf your Pryo under 600*F and 20+ MPG will happen!"

I'm pulling 21.7 to 23.3 MPG constantly using these rules...
MoparMan, I have been using Stanadyne but I'm switching to 2 cycle because of your write up. I'll post my results after the first tank.

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
MoparMan, I have been using Stanadyne but I'm switching to 2 cycle because of your write up. I'll post my results after the first tank.
Some of my Ford crowd in showing me that you need to do at least 5 to 10 tanks before changes happen sometimes. And other have shown instant change...:w:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts