Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mounted Corbeau seats or other aftermarket reclining seats in a Quadcab without a rollcage? I emailed them but I'm wondering if you guys have ever seen it done.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just checked out that thread. Good idea and great looking seats but I can't only use lap belts. A roll cage might be out of the question too as I have to retain use of my back seat for the kids. I need to get rid of these stock seats as the long commute + back pain is getting old. They feel like sitting in a metal bucket with a pillow thrown in it.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
You can mount a simple roll bar. That will offer enough access to the back and still give something to mount the belts to. Just main hoop, door bars, and horizontal brace. Or main hoop, rear legs, and horizontal brace. That makes a 4point. or combine the two for a 6 point. The lack of a diagonal bar will make it no good for racing, but it will work for what you want and provide extra protection.

google roll bars and scoll the images. ;)

·
Registered
582 Posts
You don't want a roll bar or harness bar in a car/truck with rear passengers... unless they like the sensation of being hit with a metal baseball bat and you like "debating" with insurance company lawyers.

I bet a good local upholstery shop could modify your seats with new foam/maybe changing some springs or something without hampering the safety rating. There has also been talk of swapping in Chevy/GMC seats as they have seatbelts in the headrest too. Not sure if the mounts were ever figured out, though.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Why couldn't you mount a lower bar in the rear to mount the harnesses, yeah I understand they aren't going to be legit in a crash but will at least be functional.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You cant mount the belts that low as in a crash they will compress the spine dangerously, making them worse than no belts. They will not be functional.

The only option besides getting the stock seats redone (more $$$ than a set of aftermarket seats) is to perhaps bolt a cross bar up high the door latches are, but that seems sketchy as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The lack of a B pillar makes it harder to provide a cross bar. Not impossible, just harder. A U shaped bar could be mounted to the top bars of a simple cage and gusseted or otherwise triangulated back into the same top bars. However, the OP did not want a cage and he wanted reclining seats which are pointless if you have a bar stopping them from reclining. What about taking the shoulder belt from a vehicle that has them mounted to the floor then suspended from the roof. I can't think of a particular vehicle that I've seen it in but I know I've seen it done that way before. Not exactly sure how that would all be tied into the body but maybe it'll get the creative juices flowing.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
You cant mount the belts that low as in a crash they will compress the spine dangerously, making them worse than no belts. They will not be functional.
I'm curious about this, since the stock seats have the belt mounted in them and the race type seats I used have the belts routed through them. In order to compress the spine in a crash, they would have to also crush the seats. :confused013:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts