Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
2021 DRW CCLB 4X4
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Ive had this Quadzilla scout II almost 2 months now. It is a great tool for the smarty and it controls the POD feature with just the touch of a button.

This isnt just a POD controller, it is a COMPLETE gauge setup with optional fuel pressure and Turbo timer with EGT probe.

This is where i have mine mounted.

I ran the cable into the big compartment and drilled a small hole in the back of the compartment so the wires were hidden from view.

It looks pretty good at night with my DiPricol gauges ..The buttons are on the right side and are easy to scroll through, they arent light up but they are raised and that makes it super easy to use at night.

Here are a few pics of the screen with some parameters being viewed. I have 4 on each screen, you can set it to 1, 2 , 3, or 4 per screen at a time.
I can scroll through 5 different screens of parameters. The first 2 screens , I have set to see 4 things on each and the other 3 screens show A WHOLE BUNCH of other things.
DPF Parameters, Emissions and Trouble codes are the other 3 screens
I cant comment on the DPF and EMISSIONS screens because i didnt have the SCOUT II when i still had my OEM exhaust...

I got the optional EGT kit that allows me to use temps to control the turbo timer. You can also use time to control the timer. It is weird to turn the key off and have the truck stay running.
CAUTION !!-----If you have a manual trans, DONT shut truck off and leave it in gear instead of using parking brake. I used to shut truck off and with the clutch pushed in, i would have it in 1st or 2nd gear when i killed the truck, then i would just let off the clutch pedal. Well, the first few times i used the timer, i had clutch in and truck in 2nd gear when i shut the key off. I was expecting the truck to die as soon as the key was turned off, it didnt. I just released the clutch as usual when i turned the key off, thank god i was in my driveway because the truck jumped forward and i had to do some fancy footwork to get control of it again !!:S::S:
If i would have done that at a busy parking lot, i would have bought some fenders for some folks !!:rof:rof

I didnt get the optional fuel pressure kit because i already have a fuel pressure guage.

There is a warning alarm that you can set up on a few different parameters too. EGTs , coolant and boost are the 3 that i have tried out.

In the screen pics above, you can see the 49 on the middle right.....That is the POD 49 thats the default warmup pod#...When you start up the truck and the parameters that you choose arent up to your warmedup settings, then WARNING WARMUP will flash and the pod function will be at 49 until you reach your desired warmup temps. Then you just touch the button on the SCOUT II and adjust the POD # to what you like it at.

I think this warmup feature is a great thing for everyone....It will eliminate any HG problems that would be from running a cold truck too hard too early !!

My clutch is toasted and slips so easy when pulling on any setting other that stock. It actually slips while stock too, if i dont baby the truck.
This SCOUT II has helped me prolong a new clutch because i am running my smarty on sw#1 all default 23ME and turn the POD feature to 74 , this helps my clutch because it doesnt slip nearly as easy like this.

YES, I know that i could have just used the smarty WITHOUT the SCOUT II to turn down the POD, BUT ,,,,,,,i dont like the way the OBD II wire hangs out of the port and the smarty is kinda bulky and always sliding around and gets in the way.

The SCOUT II has a wire hooked into the OBD port also, but its a bit different and doesnt hang in the way. It is off to the side of the plug, not out of the middle.

The rail pressure gauge was a big plus for me too. I was needing a RP gauge but didnt want to mismatch my DiPricols.

I like where i mounted this too, it isnt in the way of any controls and its at arms reach. It isnt on my dash in plain view for friendly thieves to see either.

The screen is plenty big enough to see all the options while going down the road also.

If anyone is thinking about buying gauges , this is way more options than any pillar mount dial mounts can offer.
This thing is a really nice gauge package but it is so much more also because its ability to control your smarty POD functions.

Im not sure if MADS helped QUAD out with this unit but all i know is it works extremely well together.

There is a thread on RSD page, here is a link with some more info on the SCOUT II...
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/rollin-smoke-diesel/362460-quadzilla-smarty-pod-control.html

Thanks James, i appreciate all your help and patience with me and some of my sill questions :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
2021 DRW CCLB 4X4
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problem , Sorry it wasnt sooner. I wanted to use it for a few weeks before i said much about it. The few weeks turned out to be a little longer than i wanted .....
I will add more to this later, i will play with some more settings and some different parameters in case others want to know what else this can monitor.

This thing monitors so many things, i still need to search more on here to even find out what some of the parameters mean haha

·
Premium Member
7,012 Posts
No problem , Sorry it wasnt sooner. I wanted to use it for a few weeks before i said much about it. The few weeks turned out to be a little longer than i wanted .....
I will add more to this later, i will play with some more settings and some different parameters in case others want to know what else this can monitor.

This thing monitors so many things, i still need to search more on here to even find out what some of the parameters mean haha
How high does the boost reading go?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I ordered one from RSD last Sat. with the A-pillar mount. Looking forward to installing it. Seems like an awesome unit!

Reactions: Rollin Smoke Diesel

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't think it'll go high enough for you RJP. I've had mine read 35 psi but this is with the stock turbo still. I agree with Mike at how well this thing works with the Smarty.

Mike, do you have the alarm set up for your coolant temp yet? I was running for several weeks and then I noticed it was detuning my truck because on the other screens( where you can read about your dpf and whatnot) it would show my coolant temp was high. The regular gauge part would show my coolant temp normal. I still don't have it worked out so I was wondering if you had the same issue.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Very good writeup Mike.
Wish I saw the Scout 2 before I had bought my CTS monitor. I love that Smarty Pod function.

·
Registered
2010 LB MiniMaxx, 625s, Fass 150
862 Posts
I too ordered the scout II from James, and absolutly love it! I am having the same problem as JMK with the coolant reading high, my water temp is fine, just the coolant is off. :confused013:
It is weird the first few times using the turbo timer, get out, lock it up and walk away with it running. I am still in the habit of just sitting there waiting to shut it off.
I just wanted to say again what sooo many others have said about RSD, I ordered 2 5" TBEs, a blackmaxx and EGR delelte for my friends 2010, and then the smarty and scout II for my truck. I could not belive how much I saved by ordering through James! So long story short.... RSD ROCKS! :party018:

Reactions: Rollin Smoke Diesel

·
2021 DRW CCLB 4X4
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have only seen 34 also, but the BOD EWG might have that limited for me :)

I don't think it'll go high enough for you RJP. I've had mine read 35 psi but this is with the stock turbo still. I agree with Mike at how well this thing works with the Smarty.

Mike, do you have the alarm set up for your coolant temp yet? I was running for several weeks and then I noticed it was detuning my truck because on the other screens( where you can read about your dpf and whatnot) it would show my coolant temp was high. The regular gauge part would show my coolant temp normal. I still don't have it worked out so I was wondering if you had the same issue.
I have my coolant set at 175 before warmup. I have noticed the coolant temp warning. I notice my water temp is fine at the same time.
I have to assume its taking a reading from somewhere that is maybe deleted ? I have my cooler lines in a loop so its not from a HOTSPOT or whatever you wanna call it when the cooler lines are plugged.

I wish i would have had this BEFORE i was deleted, then i could see what differences there were between the two ways.
All the DPF parameters look pretty interesting, but id rather be deleted than not !!

Sorry about the delay in the response, im not getting any E mail notices when my subscribed threads get answers or comments ????
I need to get that fixed asap. Im feeling all alone when i check my mail and i have no CF mail .....LOL

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have only seen 34 also, but the BOD EWG might have that limited for me :)

I have my coolant set at 175 before warmup. I have noticed the coolant temp warning. I notice my water temp is fine at the same time.
I have to assume its taking a reading from somewhere that is maybe deleted ? I have my cooler lines in a loop so its not from a HOTSPOT or whatever you wanna call it when the cooler lines are plugged.

I wish i would have had this BEFORE i was deleted, then i could see what differences there were between the two ways.
All the DPF parameters look pretty interesting, but id rather be deleted than not !!

Sorry about the delay in the response, im not getting any E mail notices when my subscribed threads get answers or comments ????
I need to get that fixed asap. Im feeling all alone when i check my mail and i have no CF mail .....LOL
No problem man. I'm wishing I had this thing before myself. I hadn't thought that maybe it's reading in another spot but that may be what's going on. I pm'd quad about this but still haven't heard back. I would like to know what's going on because that feature is one of the reasons I bought this(for when the wife drives my truck). If you find out what's going on please post it or let me know.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Not trying to hi-jack here, but could you guys post more pics of your Scout 2's. Thinking of getting rid of my CTS and picking one up.
Thanks,
jd

·
Registered
194 Posts
mikeshauling has pictures in a thread named the same as this one in rollin smoke diesel section of this site. I'll see about getting some posted up tonight of mine.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
mikeshauling has pictures in a thread named the same as this one in rollin smoke diesel section of this site. I'll see about getting some posted up tonight of mine.
Thanks, I'll check that out

·
2021 DRW CCLB 4X4
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No problem man. I'm wishing I had this thing before myself. I hadn't thought that maybe it's reading in another spot but that may be what's going on. I pm'd quad about this but still haven't heard back. I would like to know what's going on because that feature is one of the reasons I bought this(for when the wife drives my truck). If you find out what's going on please post it or let me know.
I need to check this coolant warning out better. I noticed this before but i dont remember if the warning was flashing while i was still in warmup mode or not...

I played with it today while driving and couldnt get the warning to come on while i was at operating temps.
I set the coolant alarm at 211 i think and it never showed the warning ...

I will see in the morning while in warmup mode if i see this warning and if it goes off when up to temp...

I will also check for sure on the other (DPF) screens , if the warning is on or off while in warmup mode and while warmed up.....

·
Registered
194 Posts
I need to check this coolant warning out better. I noticed this before but i dont remember if the warning was flashing while i was still in warmup mode or not...

I played with it today while driving and couldnt get the warning to come on while i was at operating temps.
I set the coolant alarm at 211 i think and it never showed the warning ...

I will see in the morning while in warmup mode if i see this warning and if it goes off when up to temp...

I will also check for sure on the other (DPF) screens , if the warning is on or off while in warmup mode and while warmed up.....
Mine was doing it when warmed up and only in the dpf screens. I noticed it was detuning my truck. I normally run on sw7 so it was easy to feel the difference. I shut off the alarm and I got all the power back. The search for the reason continues.

·
2021 DRW CCLB 4X4
4,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, i noticed it was when warmed up also today. I dont know if it detuned me any because im currently running sw#1 all default , trying to save whats left of my clutch !!

The warning was showing @ 230 around town today. Im still at a loss as to where it is getting its reading from....

Have you tried to raise the warning temp to see when the warning goes away ?
If the warning does go away , then will your truck respond with the power again ?

Another thing i notice is, my sound is reset to silent at each startup. It doesnt bother me though, i dont want to hear it beep when i toggle through the screens. Just wondering if your sound does this as well....

·
Registered
194 Posts
I tried playing with it very little. I do know that occasionally it would stop that warning and my power would return for a very short time. It wasn't often enough that I could figure out what if any factors were at play. Mine read 232 iirc. I don't have that problem with my clutch because I have a Valair DD so I notice when my power gets reduced by the pod(there is a huge difference).

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.