Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been planning on doing this for a long time. I've had the parts for almost a year and finally getting to it. Hopefully the will be done within a month. But here is what have done so far.

The build list

MD2S with shield drop mod

G5-EXL with aggressive FGL

Denso ballasts

Osram CBIs

Profile pivot LED switchbacks (blinkers/marker light)

I haven't got output shots yet, but it looks pretty cool. I wish the 3000Ks in my fogs were a little more yellow.

Here is the blinkers.
https://youtu.be/7oen3Zmj64Y
Here are some output pics. I forgot to have my buddy take a pic of all 4 on the low beam. The bright hotspot on the ground you see in the pics with the G5-EXL are not really there in person.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I really like this, can’t wait to see the finished product! Are those switch back strips in the bottom bar?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
So the amber bar just pops off?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really like this, can’t wait to see the finished product! Are those switch back strips in the bottom bar?
Yes, but i don't want use the white color. I like the solid orange color. So im debating on how I'm going to wire them up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the amber bar just pops off?

Yes. It has tabs and snaps in. So you just press the tabs in on the back side and work it out. Same goes for that triangle looking piece on the side.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Nice to know... now I know how I will backlight my strip..thinking I am going to make it a blinker and running light.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice to know... now I know how I will backlight my strip..thinking I am going to make it a blinker and running light.

That's exactly what I'm doing. The LED strips are stuck on there with the adhesive that comes on the back of them, and then I tied them with fishing line as well.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,227 Posts
i would've considered securing the switchback to the top of the lower housing, so most of the light would be a reflection, rather then having the line from the LED strip. would give it more of a glow effect, with less hot spot, but that's just me. Would be hard to double the measurement though with fishing line, as i think you know as well as i do, eventually the double sided tape on all of those strips eventually fail. lol. But looks good man! I like how your making use of the 06 specific housing and doing something the factory should have considered doing

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would've considered securing the switchback to the top of the lower housing, so most of the light would be a reflection, rather then having the line from the LED strip. would give it more of a glow effect, with less hot spot, but that's just me. Would be hard to double the measurement though with fishing line, as i think you know as well as i do, eventually the double sided tape on all of those strips eventually fail. lol. But looks good man! I like how your making use of the 06 specific housing and doing something the factory should have considered doing
So you're saying you would mount the LED strips on top in this part? I thought about that to try and get a more even light distribution. Actually not too bad the way I have it set up. You can tell where the strips are because it's darker, so it's not

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
You da headlight man.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
5,227 Posts
So you're saying you would mount the LED strips on top in this part? I thought about that to try and get a more even light distribution. Actually not too bad the way I have it set up. You can tell where the strips are because it's darker, so it's not

Yeah, exactly. that way the light would shine down and reflect off of everything down there, rather then immediately shine out. My thoughts it would reduce the any hot spots from the strip. I imagine the difference would be minimal really, especially in pictures, i think it would be more noticeable in like dusk where there is just enough light out to see if coming from a strip, instead of seeing it reflect out. either way it looks good

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got them assembled. Now i just gotta wire them up and clean up the lenses.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
3rd gen housings are so much better for retrofit compared to the quad beam 4th gens.
Just a simple retrofit is difficult?

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Looks awesome grunt! I’m still debating on trying something like this vs having them built$$$. How do the projectors attach to the housing?

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks awesome grunt! I’m still debating on trying something like this vs having them built$$$. How do the projectors attach to the housing?
The MD2S has a threaded shaft and the G5-EXL use the nut and bolt method. You can videos on that stuff if you don't know the difference.

Having them built is pretty spendy. If i had these ones built for me, i would guess $2000 if not more. It takes a good about of time to do what i did.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Ya there pricey I’ve been quoted anywhere from $1000-1500 depending on options. Nothing beats a quality set of projectors though. Hell I payed $750 for these simple headlights on my 2ndgen. Nice work though bud.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ya there pricey I’ve been quoted anywhere from $1000-1500 depending on options. Nothing beats a quality set of projectors though. Hell I payed $750 for these simple headlights on my 2ndgen. Nice work though bud.
One day when i get my 2nd gen going, I'll do a retrofit to it as well. But i like the look of the OEM housings and fluted lenses on the pickup.

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
Just a simple retrofit is difficult?
the space for the projector isn't as big resulting in a VERY odd cut on the shroud. It's a tight fit on a quad beam setup. I scrapped the shrouds because you couldn't even see them due to how small they were. Just looked funny.

the 3rd gen housing nicely supports dual projectors

1 - 20 of 41 Posts