Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted earleier that I installed a new turbo on the truck today and at idle the EGT's where 500+ and if i just tapped the throttle the gauge would go way over 1200. So, I let the truck sit for 1hr and the Pyro still read 300 degrees, ipulled it out and looked at it, ande everything seems fine, so I went back and looked at the gauge and the needle was just moving up and down ever so slightly but still read 300 degrees.
I then checked the power source, when I removed the fuse for it the neddle finally moved down to almost 0 degrees. Whats up with that?????:thud:

I looked at the power source and determine to hook straight to the ignition wire for the key, thinking maybe I was not always getting the right power. I also rechecked the ground wire as well and retightned it.

Does any one have any suggestions? I think this is why my gauge was reading funny!! what do you think!!:popcorn:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone have any suggestions!!!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
It sounds to me like it's not wired properly. What brand gauge?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Diciprol gauge, it clearly states the red is for ignition switch power, grey and black is ground, white is lights then you have your 2 prong plug for the pyro. It has been on the truck for a while and have not had any issues until i put on the new turbo, maybe coinsedental. I do appreciate the feed back.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Diciprol gauge, it clearly states the red is for ignition switch power, grey and black is ground, white is lights then you have your 2 prong plug for the pyro. It has been on the truck for a while and have not had any issues until i put on the new turbo, maybe coinsedental. I do appreciate the feed back.
Pyro could have just died.

I have seen that before.

Check the pyro with a ohm meter to see what you get.:thumbsup

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will have my check it tomorrow with a meter to see wht I get, I started it a few minutes ago and seems to be working now. The whole thing is wierd!!

·
Smells like Bananas
7,244 Posts
i had a auto meter Pyro die after only four months. I thought it was the gauge but the fellow at Autometer told me that if i disconnect the pyro from the gauge. Power up the gauge, if the needle is between 0 to 100 degrees the gauge is fine and the pyro was bad. so it ended up being that the pyro was bad and they sent me a whole new pryo gauge set.

But the needle was all over the place when it went bad. Also the gauge would read fine until i pressed on the accelerator. the added heat on the probe would through it off but when i let off the needle would read fine.

·
SC Chapter President
1,024 Posts
This might not be helpful, but I have an autometer pyro and mine was doin the whole jumping around going crazy thing and I took it out, wiped it off and put it back in the manifold and have had no problems since.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
95cummins12valve, I did the same thing, it seems to be working good for now. I think I will call the dealer I got mine from and see if he will send me a new probe just in case it happens again. You know this site is really awesomw for all of us guys who are do it yourselfers!!! I really appreciate everyones input to make this :peelout happen!! :lol3:

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
If you soldered the wires for the pyrometer, this may cause fluctuating temperature readings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts