Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a pyrometer installed in my truck today. I took it to a very reputable place that is soly a performance type place and has been in buisnes for 15 years, never heard anything bad about them.

I get home left the hood and the probe is not in the manifold. He put it in the 1st elbow after the turbo. :mad:

So now how much do I need to add to what I'm seeing on the guage to be safe?

·
I wanna go fast...
3,471 Posts
I have heard 300-350* but not sure...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
got an aftermarket manifold? my ats was a snap to put in the pyro.... or you could take it on back to em and tell em whats up.

·
Registered
104 Posts
130* I have two one in the manifold and one in the elbow

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will definatley be going back tomorrow and tell them what I think.

Let them work on my truck again? I think not.

I'm looking at two options.
1. Leave it and add X degrees
2. Put a bolt in that port and tap the manifold.

Can someone else verify the 130 degree difference?

·
Banned
4,630 Posts
No, because it will vary...WOT it'll be around 300*+ difference and at idle it may be no difference...and at cruising it could be anywhere from no to 300* difference...or...or <=the uncertainty being the reason for pre-turbo....

I would prolly plug it and redo it...

·
Registered
35 Posts
that hole comes in the elbow, there is a plug in it from the factory, just put the plug back in it and put the pyro pre turbo

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
It can vary by - degrees, in other words, read hotter, or by as much as 500* at WOT...

That's not the "performance" place to put it, however, if you are going to stay stock, or not add anymore fuel, that's the best place to put it.

Merrick

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Plug it and put it in the manifold. Where it should be. Shoulda just done it yourself!!!

·
MI Chapter President
5,684 Posts
I agree, get a pipe plug and some JB weld for the threads and plug the hole then put it in the manifold youself :thumbsup

·
Banned
393 Posts
do you need to remove the turbo to do that? I always heard that if you dont, you can get metal shavings in the turbo.

·
MI Chapter President
5,684 Posts
put grease on your drill & tap when you do it, this will hold most of the debris You can also use a shop vac next to the drill & tap while doing so to "suck" the debris up. Some guys also drill and tap the manifold with the motor running to blow the shavings out.... just wear eye protection and dont break the drill bit or tap:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I would not drill or tap while the motor is running just because if something does happen and you break a drill bit or the tap, it is going to kill your turbo. When I did mine I put grease on the drill bit to help catch the shavings, and I also stopped right before I busted through and blew all the shavings out of the hole, then I went ahead and finished it out. Take it easy when you are tapping it, keep plenty of grease, and you can also start the truck periodicaly and let it run for a few seconds to help blow out any shavings, they wont be large enough to do any damage if they do get sucked into your turbo. Just take your time, it will be easier than you are expecting.

·
Registered
867 Posts
with a turbo involved wouldnt even consider drilling ahead of it..grease or vacums..your never gona get all the shaveings at the end and chances of fileings going through the turbo are pretty good lm thinking...in anycase not a safe aproach in my experience..
guy that put it in probally had same reservations about drilling before the turbo and put it after not knowing that thered be a temp diffrence...
if l owned a shop wouldnt even consider drilling unless turbo was off to enshure clean air intake...varibles of something going wrong are high and for the price of the sensor install compared to replaceing a turbo becuase you never removed it before drilling and some fileings got missed and went through turbo...no idea of the effects but even if they werent imeadiate could lead to probs down the road...just a bad idea in my opinion

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
It's fine to do it just as stated above with the grease. It works fine. No need to remove the turbo.

·
Banned
393 Posts
Thanks evryone...sorry to steal your thread. very helpful folks.

·
Registered
679 Posts
They probably put it there because thats where all the semi's, tractors, and other big equipment have them. I still haven't decided where to put mine post or pre. Its a tough call in my opinion. Sorry you weren't happy, they should have asked or you should have specified but I wouldn't say they put it in the "wrong" place.

·
Banned
393 Posts
No shop around here will do it, they either put it past, or not at all. Thats why i was asking how.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts