Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have pics of their pyro gauge setup? (where they drilled for sensor and mounting in cab)

Thanks

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
I hope this link works. It is instructions on mount the pryo probe and where to mount it.

Gauge Install

I used a AutoMeter dual gage A pillar mount. ProPods makes a dual A pillar mount also. But the gages are at a steeper angle than the Autometer setup. I have heard reports of glare on the gages in daylight and poor viewing at night due to the steep mounting angle.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is the autometer pillar u have for the 94 because i can't find one for "our" trucks

·
Premium Member
2,544 Posts
I hope they have not stopped making them for the first gens.

My setup looks the same as Philips, right down to the tack except mine is one of the factory jobs I was able to get a good deal on. I also have a tranny temp and fuel gauge mounted in individual cups mounted on top of the dash right in front of the driver.

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
They don't list the 1st gen A pillar setup in the online store. You need to call them. I ordered mine years ago threw a local speed shop.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
here are mine

thermocouple mount

Pod, I got mine 4 months ago.

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
Richie you gotta do something about that intake. You feeding that S300 threw a straw. :rof

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Richie you gotta do something about that intake. You feeding that S300 threw a straw. :rof

Thats what I thought also but with it removed and nothing on the turbo, boost numbers were exactly the same. I was all worried that would not flow. I was kinda surprised.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thats what I thought also but with it removed and nothing on the turbo, boost numbers were exactly the same. I was all worried that would not flow. I was kinda surprised.
Put a differential pressure guage on it and I bet you see a lot of restriction compared to a larger pipe feeding it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
any reason to install the pyro in the middle of the turbo or would it be just as effective at the elbow of the down pipe? i have a pyro that i pulled out of a diesel being parted out and it was in the elbow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was also wondering about that.I wondered what the temp difference would be. I put my probe in the elbow of the DP for simplicity and was worried about the probe if it ever broke off. What kind of temp diffrence would that be?

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Manifold temps are ~ 350* higher than in the exhaust elbow.
But - I seen a lot there...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Here's mine from last weekend: [URL="http://
[/URL]

[URL="http://
[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

·
Registered
92 Posts
so in the manifold would be the best position? i dont understand how the manifold could be 300+ hotter than the exhaust elbow that is only 6" from the manifold?

·
Registered
905 Posts
It's closer to the internal engine componets which create all the heat and I thinks it's more important to monitor heat at that location rather than post turbo IMO. You don't want any head or valve damage to occur.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Initially, the cast iron headers absorb the heat, so the pyro will read lots lower than actual. Once the headers get hot, the heat internally and the heat at the header/turbo junction is nearly the same. Prolly not 10* - 15* diff. Since the pistons start to melt ~ 1400*, temp is critical.
When the exhaust exits the turbo, it is lots cooler because it gave up it's heat spinning the turbo - hence the ~350* diff at the exhaust elbow...

Hope my explanation is clear as mud.

·
Registered
92 Posts
actually for me it is clear as crystal, i hadnt thought about the exhaust "giving up hits heat" or transfering energy to spin the turbo....so since i can drill and tap anywhere where would be the best spot to put it right in the middle on the exhaust manifold?

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
You can't put it in the middle...There's a divider there.
Most put it in the middle of the back port. The rear cylinders get slightly hotter than the front ones so you're always reading a slightly higher temp..

Was just checking but can't find the link right now...Search for Gauge Install it'll take you through.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Check Richie Osgood's install a few messages back. Good pics.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts