Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure that i want to put a set of fogs on my truck...my problem here is that my bumper isn't set up for it...no factory holes for them which i think was pretty stupid. so my question is has anyone done this, and what route should i take to go about doing this the right way???
I'm fine with not having the stock fog light switch i can live with a push button or flip switch so that's not a big deal to me. any info is appreciated!:stirpot:

·
Registered
769 Posts
I just put some in. The bolt holes are there. You have to remove the plastic from the top of the bumper to see them.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so...what are the necessary steps in doing this ..I guess you're all I've got on know how on doing this

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
I used a hole saw to put these in.
Projector type with a lens over an inch thick, no rock breaking problem like lots of fogs.
Plenty bright for a small easy to install size. I bought the factory switch from the dealer for $30, installed in the blocked off hole in the dash where it's supposed to go.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks billflem. i think i came across that pic in another thread but I'm looking to put them in the bumper unless there's a better way. aren't they too close to the road to give the best light? maybe just deceiving to me

·
Registered
769 Posts
Any after market OEM lights should work. You will need a left and a right. I got the ones for a 99 because they had a smooth lens and were brighter. They were also a little bit bigger and didn"t want to cooperate so I removed the bumper and took the grey plastic piece out that they mount thru and trimmed the hole untill they fit and then put it all back together. My lights did not come with and bolts or wire. You will need 4 3/8" carrage bolts about 1" long. The wire (pig tails) I found at the junk yard. They weren't exactlly the right ones but they worked. The switch I got from the dealer and two relays from the parts store. All the wires were there, So it was just plug and play. Look in your power distribution box under the hood and see if there is a spot for two fog light relays. If there is. Pull a horn relay (they are the same) and see if it will pop into place and is tight. If it does, Then the wires should be there.

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
aren't they too close to the road to give the best light?
For fog lights the lower the better.
That's why if you walk through a parking lot you'll see a lot of the fogs have cracked lens.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well i took a peak at my bumper today and looked inside near the top where the black step part is and i didn't see anything to mount them to?
also i don't have an air dam on my truck due the retardedness of previous owners basically cobbing together a plow with whatever was lying around and welding it to the frame, they took the dam out and effed my front bumper in the process

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
My dam was damaged in an accident, replacement was $36 from LMC Truck.
On the TDR forum a few years ago a long term experiment was done with and without the dam.
Truck with dam averaged 1.6 better mpg over a 16,000 mile with and without test.
Not sure but think the dam may have been an option that most trucks came with but not all.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Any of you guys know how to do this with the 2010s?

·
Registered
206 Posts
you'll need a bumper that came with the holes man
Any idea of where to find em? I would try junk yard but the truck is so new. And would the bumper mount and fit right? And any idea on how much to get the lights put in and wired?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wouldn't the guys from the 6.7 area know this better???

also i guess i'll have to look into that air dam as i could use an extra mpg or 2 if it's possible. what exactly did you mount the lights to bill, maybe i will go your route

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
what exactly did you mount the lights to bill, maybe i will go your route
I bent a piece of 1" wide X 6" long 1/8" flat steel in half to a 90 and drilled a hole to match an existing hole on the frame then attached the mounts that came with the lamps to the flat bar.
The lamp's mount had a lot of adjustment, they just needed a surface running crosswise to the truck to attach to, none there.
That's where the flat bar came in.

Don't even try to use the stock fog light wiring even though it's there.
I racked my brain trying to find out where it was under the dash for couple hours before it took me 5 minutes to to run a single switched ground wire from the dash to a relay trigger terminal.
Relay was connected right to the + battery terminal with an inline fuse.
Few feet of the switched by relay + to the lights and a ground to each lamp and they were ready to go.

My projector lights were around $40 and came with wire, relay, inline fuse and switch I didn't use. Stock switch was $30 from dealer.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Subscribed

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
Any idea of where to find em? I would try junk yard but the truck is so new. And would the bumper mount and fit right? And any idea on how much to get the lights put in and wired?
haha, chances are if a fourth gen was wrecked already, it would already be scoured for parts anyway....and yeah i'd think if you could find one she'd mount right up, and knowing dodge, the wiring would already be there, you'd just need a headlight switch w/ the push button for the fogs

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so i think I'm going to put off putting the fogs in until spring unless i really decide i NEED to have them. got my new headlights in and they are too dark so I'm putting in some HID's to help things out.
this has been put on the back burner but i do intend on doing this in the future

·
Registered
607 Posts
I know this is an old thread but hopefully my post will come to those who subscribeded last winter.
I went to a local wrecking yard and bought the factory fog lights and factory switch (neither of whick came in my truck) I expected to find the factory wiring laying in the dash waiting for me but I didn't see it. Can someone tell me is it in fact there?
I expected it to be easy to find with as big as the factory switch's plug looks.

Are the plugs out front for the lights this well hidden too?

Unless someone can tell me where to find it I will go the same route as illflem did and just wire them to a relay myself.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
I wasted a few hours trying to find the dash end of the factory wiring.
If it's there I couldn't find it.
Only took about 15 minutes to run my own new wiring.
Hardest part is figuring out where the connections on the factory switch go.
I figured it out on the bench with a voltmeter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts