Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
so just thought i would post this in the hopes it would help someone. so i bought a 2012 2500 G56 that was fully deleted with ppei tuning. in order to register in the great state of CA i had to put all the emissions on. i got a great deal (i think) on the truck so i decided to do myself and not the previous owner. well the truck was deleted for several years, so once i put all the emissions back and returned the truck to stock tune i had one code... P245B

P245B is EGR Cooler Bypass Circuit Range/Performance

So i looked all over and really only found a few posts on here or really anywhere on the internet and they all basically said i would need a new egr bypass assembly. ($700 new for just parts)

I got to thinking that since it has been deleted for so long but did not have egr blocker plate, there was probably a lot of build up around that bypass valve. so i try to manually turn the valve and couldn't, so i then put a pair of channel locks on it and turned it ( i know not the right tool lol) but i did get it to turn but it was super hard.

So that kind of confirmed my thought about it being built up with soot so i decided to take the valve off and clean. I followed the youtube part one video here and part two here from motorcity mechanic to take out.

i cleaned and scrapped with super clean and a screwdriver to get excess build up off until i could manually turn the valve by hand easily. then reinstalled and hoped for the best.

well i cleared the codes and went for a drive. i read that two starts will light the code again and sure enough it did. but i also read to clear code P245A the truck has to be drivin and started several times so i assumed it was the same for this (Hopefully!)

the outcome was that the code finally went away after 6 starts and drives. each drive was about 5 miles. i dont know if the distance matters but it took 6 starts. the engine light is gone and i don't have to buy a new egr bypass valve.

Hopefully this helps someone with the same issue. 馃

Registered
I have posted about this same exact issue.

When I am deleted I actually take mine off for this exact reason

I delete and return to stock yearly so this keeps everything from freezing up, which it did the first 2 years I had the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
Here is my post where you can see how I approached this issue

1 - 4 of 4 Posts