Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hung onto my Rokktech crank sensor when I sold all my other 5.9 stuff. I was told that the crank sensor for the 6.7s had the same part number as the ones for the 5.9s. I asked if anybody had tried it on their 6.7 and got no response other than several people wanting me to let them know how it worked if I ever did it. Well, just as it was when we started doing all the crazy stuff to the brand new 03 3rd gens, I have decided to be the guinea pig and I put it on today. The truck starts and runs just fine and I noticed no real power gains of any kind (exactly like it was on my 07 5.9). I will give it a few days and see if the mileage looks like it might be up. My over head has been hovering between 13.3 and 13.5 mpg for the last few days and if anything it would have gone down a bit as the next week goes on. That's just typical of how the truck has been since I've owned it. This Rokktech gave me no increase in power in my 5.9 but when I pulled it off my mileage dropped one full point. I am hoping to see at least a 1 mpg gain but I will accept more if it's possible.
Anyways, I'll post back in a few days......:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Now must admit being somewhat a newbie to the Cummins pick-ups, and only the 6.7 at that. So I don't know anything of these Rokktech sensors. What was they suppose to do on the older 5.9's anyway???

Please do keep us posted on how this works on your 6.7 dude, thanks

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an adjustable crank timing sensor which generally gives a bit more bottom end power and also a bit better fuel mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
So, just how adjustable are these and I guess you to be adjusting it messing around with it to see where and if you can get any help with the fuel mileage and certainly any hp gains???

Also, are these still available new and if so how much are they dude?

Thanks

·
Banned
2,613 Posts
hey zilla even though im not in a 6.7 yet thanks for trying this out.. are they cheaper than a so called 6.7 sensor? is there a good benifit to buying a sensor for for the 5.9 and using it on the 6.7 is what I would like to know.. now we know we can pull it off of a older rig for sure but money wise if you where to walk to the store is the 5.9 cheaper.. your the guinee pig so you must KNOW THESE QUESTIONS :lol3: :rof :lol3: :rof

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Heck, if it fits the 6.7 and it adjusts anything like the timing and much at all, I want one if its not to expensive. These new engines and nothing adjustable on them, to keep our Gov't happy is for the Nazi's, not this old Texan and big time real American that votes and pays taxes...

Geterdid,

I guess its about time I contact you to see how I need to proceed to join the members here as a paying poster and reader here. I have burned off more then a few reems of paper here and not once has anything been deleted, like the last place I paid to be a member. I paid what I felt was quite a bit too, but figured it was worth the cost. Couldn't have been any farther from the truth with my budget and where it has sank to with all my growing debt of fuel bills and such from the high price or diesel and how much I burn everyday LOL... Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for allowing me to be a free loader for quite some time now, till I was more certain than the last mistake I paid for$$$
I will PM you if I can and figure out what all I need to do to pay up. Thanks again

EDIT:

You know I might should ask Geterdid, if they will allow me to join first??? I got ahead of myself a little there dude, sorry...You guys might not want rif-raf like me in "Members"

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rokktech does not show that they make one for the 6.7 so I doubt they are even looking at it. It is exactly the same part and it works just fine though. I will have to wait a couple days but mileage looks to be up so far. I never tried power braking the truck with the stock sensor but I can tell you that the truck will easily powerbrake these new 285s.
The Rokktech sensor runs around a modest $60. You could also do the Tone Ring Mod for free and it does the same thing. I have my sensor adjusted as far advanced as possible. If I had gotten any kind of rattle then I would back it off but I heard nothing. Bottom end power seems a bit better too. Me Likey...

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Tone Ring adjustment?

And i think after reading the Rokktech website it will adjust timing up to 1* in either direction in very small increments. If it helps at all the $60 pricetag is nothing.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sprocket looking wheel that the Rokktech reads off of is the tone ring. You pull it off and hog out the dowel pin hole and that gives you the ability to adjust the crank timing.

I'm not sure if the truck would powerbrake with the stock crank sensor but it will easily turn the tires loose now. I even have 285s on it too!! Mileage appears to be up but I will wait a couple days before I post the results....

Seems good so far...

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For $60 it is well worth it if I can get even a 1 mpg gain. I got mine used for about $25 shipped about 3 months ago. They are always for sale in the classifieds on these boards...

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I don't know if it would do this before the Rokktech, and I don't plan on doing it anymore, but lookie!!!!!!

Can anybody do this with a stock truck with the auto trans? Just wondering....

·
Registered
383 Posts
my dmax did when I had 285s on it. It wont do it as much with the 315's that are on it now.

So your only gettin around 13mpg around town? how many miles you go on it? Im lookin at buyin a new truck and have been eyeballin the 6.7s.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup. About 13.5 in town and 16 hwy, normally. I only have 3500 miles on it though. Some guys say it will get better with miles and some say it won't. I've had several CTDs and they always get better mileage around the 10,000 mile mark. I'm hoping for that but I'm gonna try and make it better before then....

·
Registered
689 Posts
Is this something that you can use with a timing box (Edge) or would that be too much?

Never mind. I checked out there website and yes it is compatible with most boxes, but its only for common rails?

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
How about a hyperlink to their web site guys??? I did a search and they didn't come up

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Thanks dude,

I was hunting this like Rockktech, not the Rok***** Just one letter off and the search on yahoo never found it LOL... I got me one of these coming if for nothing else to be able to adjust the timing on mine to just see if I can help this motor any at all... I know this sucker of mine has always had issues with the timing and I had no way to adjust it either. Now if this thing will just move it in the right direction and enough to do any good at all??? We will see soon as I get this thing.
Thanks guys for sharing all this info

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I initially thought the mileage was up but it looks to be about the same or even slightly less than before. I have it advanced all the way forward too. I don't think I want to turn it back because I don't get any timing rattle at all. If anything I probably need some more advance.
I may pull it off to see if I can still powerbrake it or not and then I will decide if I will keep it on the truck.

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update......

I must have been going through a regen cycle before I made my last post and that brought my mileage down. After another 60 or so miles the mileage is back up and over the number it was at before I put the Rokktech on. That's good news! I have learned that you cannot judge your mileage over one or two days though because regens really kill your numbers. I will go through this tank of fuel and post again later. It looks like the Rokktech may indeed be good for a small mileage increase afterall....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts