Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys see where in some vehicles they have the push to start button or the switch where you flip the red thing up and flip up the little metal switch?

How would I do that if I wanted to do my engine like that? Flip switch it?

·
There is no spoon
657 Posts
AmT,

If you are handy with the 8w chapter of the FSM, all you would need to do is find the Red from fuse 10 (feeding the ignition switch start circuit) and the yellow wire leaving the ignition switch (positive for the start relay) and connect your pushbutton "around" (paralleling) those. In that way you would keep all the normal start prevention safeties, and actually could start it with the key if you wanted. (if you didn't want it to start with key any longer, just disconnect the yellow from the switch, but not the red, it would then only start when you pressed the button.)

You could totally remove the function of the key if you so chose, but it would require a couple toggle switches.

HTH

Hag

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to sure what any of that is haha, I just think it would be cool to have it installed. If you know a place with directions on how to install and can point me that way it would be great

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
There is no spoon
657 Posts
LOL,

Sorry, no that pretty much sounds like a one of a kind. You MIGHT be able to find a small starter/alternator shop that would be willing to try it. You definitely want someone that is well versed in wiring.

GL

Hag

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have done that to a few vehicles and is very easy to accomplish. Best way I have found would be to use a relay and actuate the relay by switching the ground with the push-button. If you want details just ask and when I get a few minutes I will write it up.

·
Diesel Head
2,692 Posts
i did it for a guy that his ignition went out and couldn't afford a new one so i rigged up a push button and a switch that was 2 years ago he said why fix it this works great

·
Diesel Head
2,692 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes like that and if you could write me up something on how to do it that would be great

·
PA VICE PRESIDENT
4,650 Posts
Pretty cool idea but seems like a easier way to steal it(idk maybe not) My dads challenger has it and it is pretty sweet but totally different setup.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
yes like that and if you could write me up something on how to do it that would be great

The aluminum boxes are from radio shack as are the switches the lights and covers I got from work. 1 power wire gets divided to all switches then the switched power gets divided 1 leg for the green indicator light the other for what you want to power. I used it in my 77 power wagon to pretty much replace the harness so I can't be of any help to put it in our trucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts