Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So....funny story, I had to get towed in the other day for some tranny problems and not only did my A/C and tranny decide to take a crap on me at the same time, but the guys towing my truck tried to use the wrong key to start my truck several times, so instead of paying for my (3rd) $200 key (which I think is ridiculous) I now have ended up some how with a push button start just like them fancy European cars!! thanks to my companies equipment mechanic!!

Just thought it was a funny story and all though pretty trashy, it's kinda cool!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
thinkin about getting a go baby go switch like gone in 60 seconds haha........

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,375 Posts
If it's your personal truck, I think they could come good on making your truck and key situation good again. If it's a company truck you prolly don't have much say in how it's jimmy rigged. Pretty ugly install of that switch I must say. And it is funny how all cars WAY back in the day had push button start, then key start came around and was good for thirty or forty years and now push button is making a comeback.

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
So....funny story, I had to get towed in the other day for some tranny problems and not only did my A/C and tranny decide to take a crap on me at the same time, but the guys towing my truck tried to use the wrong key to start my truck several times, so instead of paying for my (3rd) $200 key (which I think is ridiculous) I now have ended up some how with a push button start just like them fancy European cars!! thanks to my companies equipment mechanic!!

Just thought it was a funny story and all though pretty trashy, it's kinda cool!

Hmmmmmmm... Pilot hole looks a little off to me lol.

·
Premium Member
2,732 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah definitely my daily driver and definitely not pretty. But a fingerprint start would be pretty cool. the sucky part is my original key still unlocks and locks the doors with the buttons, but won't start it, the grey key you can see in the ignition is the one that normally must be used to start it and the push button is what actually starts it.... A/C and tranny decide to act up also all at the same time.... needless to say, it hasn't been a fun week for me haha.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My old Dodge has a foot pedal starter. I wonder when the new trucks will come back to that.

Seriously, though, I presume you still need the chipped key to drive. If you don't, and all you need is the button and a conventional key, can you find out how they did it? I'd love to be able to use a $1.98 key and stop worrying about losing a $200 key.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My old Dodge has a foot pedal starter. I wonder when the new trucks will come back to that.

Seriously, though, I presume you still need the chipped key to drive. If you don't, and all you need is the button and a conventional key, can you find out how they did it? I'd love to be able to use a $1.98 key and stop worrying about losing a $200 key.
I agree I would love to have about 5 spares placed everywhere I normally go. Cause I'm the worlds worst or losing keys.

The only way I've heard of it maybe being possible is to jump together the wires involved with the security system and put a resistor in between them. If this will work I dunno? And you also have to have the perfect resistor for it as well. I wish someone who knew how to pull this off would chime in. I even tried taping my second key inside the plastic on the steering column right next to the ignition so I could use my original key. But it didn't work. The only way I can use my original key right now is to hold the new key right up next to the keyhole at the same time. It's a hassle.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And yes I still do have to have the chipped key. All they did is wire my starter right up to a button so even if there isn't even a key in the ignition it will still crank all day. But if it's the wrong key it'll just start and shut back off like normal.

Reactions: speycaster

·
Cowboy AKA Equality State
1,009 Posts
One of the first mods I did to my '09 was to ditch the hideous fob key.

I bought one of the chipped keys and followed the programming procedure in the owners manual. I then cut the rubber off of the key and dug out the chip and glued it inside the antenna thing that reads the key. It only takes a couple minutes to pop the steering column open and glue it in there. I have been using the "get the door open only" key the dealer gave me to start the truck since the truck was a week old.

Pretty simple mod and I have NORMAL keys that can be duplicated anywhere and I don't have to shell out a days pay to make another :thumbsup:

·
1,009 Posts
I think you could still do the same thing as I did.

The key in the slot just simply places the chip that is embedded in the key into a position that the antenna can activate and read.

Just take a screw driver to the column and you'll see the antenna receiver thingy I mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Holy ghetto, what a push button... If u told me that it started the truck id say BS, fearing that a trunk monkey would be deployed or I'd get a pie to the face.

I never laughed so much at a thread like this

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One of the first mods I did to my '09 was to ditch the hideous fob key.

I bought one of the chipped keys and followed the programming procedure in the owners manual. I then cut the rubber off of the key and dug out the chip and glued it inside the antenna thing that reads the key. It only takes a couple minutes to pop the steering column open and glue it in there. I have been using the "get the door open only" key the dealer gave me to start the truck since the truck was a week old.

Pretty simple mod and I have NORMAL keys that can be duplicated anywhere and I don't have to shell out a days pay to make another :thumbsup:
I had seriously thought about doing this but I was afraid I'd screw something up. What does the antenna look like? And I may try this. How small is the microchip?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I wish I could do that. The new trucks only take the fob as the key. There is a slot to stick a metal key, but nothing for it to turn...just a plastic hole.
That plastic hole is what an ST truck key without key fob goes into. The key has plastic on the top of it just like a key fob but a normal metal key that goes through it to unlock the doors. I went to the dealer with a key fob and they programmed it for me the first few weeks I had the truck.

ST keys look like this:

·
Registered
123 Posts
i like mine better :)

·
1,009 Posts
I had seriously thought about doing this but I was afraid I'd screw something up. What does the antenna look like? And I may try this. How small is the microchip?
It is a plastic ring that surrounds the ignition slug and the chip is about the size of 2-3 grains of rice squished together.

I just placed the chip in a spot that the truck would start and secured it there with some glue.

I did the mod with a Sentry key I bought from a dealer for around $40 and programmed it with the instructions found in the owners manual instead of digging the chip out of one of the $200 keys the truck came with.

Reactions: robinson2070
1 - 20 of 42 Posts