Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here looking to buy a cummins dodge for a general driver I figured this would be a good place on which year/ gen. to buy. This truck would be for daily driving and occasional hunting trip, ect. Not much towing at the moment, but would like the option in the future.

I want to spend around 20K give or take a couple grand so I am looking at 2001,2002,2003 with less than 100K. Questions I have for y'all.

Which tranny? I prefer manual, is this a bad decision? Which years are the NV4500, ect.

Any specific years I should avoid? I know that 2001 is the last year of the old gen. Is there that much difference?

Basically I am asking which truck would YOU buy. I would appreciate your input.

·
Registered
208 Posts
02 was the last year of the 2nd gen for the 2500 and 3500. you could probably get into an 03 or 04 for 20k with this market. just look around - they are out there. Great trucks too!

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,433 Posts
i bought an 04.5 with 114k miles for $19k.
this was my pick due to it having the nv5600 6 speed and the 325 horse motor.
also, it was a long bed qc that had a 6 speed, and i had to search long and far to find one here in tx.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
elephant rider:

Do you have any pics of that truck? Sounds like a bad truck!

Also, I am new to this...how do you know if it is a 04 and a half?

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,433 Posts
look on the side of the plastic valve cover it will say 325 horse if its a 04.5.

here's a couple of pics -

·
Registered
205 Posts
Autos are fine if kept BONE Stock... the NV4500 is prone to 5th gear issues if towed in 5th. The NV5600 WILL blow an output bearing if you dont overfill the trans by 1 qt. Other than that the 5600 is the way to go... Good Luck

·
Banned
2,615 Posts
ive got a 99 I would buy any year and be as happy as a kid with a match and a firework...

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Also, I am new to this...how do you know if it is a 04 and a half?
:welcome:

Check the valve cover on the driver's side of the engine if it says 325 horsepower then you got a 04.5. Also the majority of trucks with 1/04 and later build dates are 04.5

1 - 9 of 9 Posts