Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to advance my timing today for the third time and I must be nuts. I adjusted the three bolt that hold it to the pump, the bracket bolt, every hardline but the injector lines, and i think some bolts i probably shouldn't have touched. What am i doin wrong?! is there some kind of trick to it. Am i just not being forcefull enough with the pump. I thought i was being pretty mean.

·
1ST GEN
15,573 Posts
Mine will not move eather. Don't worry about it unless you really want to take it completely off.

What it most likely means is the gasket is glued down on both sides real bad. If you force it enough it will move. But it will probably leak real bad from the gasket afterwards.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Various Options for Moving the Pump

Some guys have used a ratchet strap to pull it in towards the head. You can also make a tool to fit the holes on the bracket behind the pump head by welding some short bolts to a bar and use that for leverage:

1stGen.org :: View topic - IP moving tool

It won't leak after doing that, either way.

·
Registered
214 Posts
when you do the timing will it smoke more or less? help or hurt mpg?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from what i hear it will smoke less and help mpg. This is because the fuel is injected earlier and burns more completely inside the cylinder. On the flip side your cooling system will run a little hotter. As long as it is in good working order i wouldn't think it would be a problem unless you have heavily modified you engine.

Ps: I've heard it lowers egt's too.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
It gives you top end performance in exchange for bottom end performance. Pull a little bit less on the bottom end, more on the top. And everything else spoken is true too.

·
Registered
214 Posts
i just put a 92 rad in it is about twice the size and holds about twice teh water of the 90 rad i had so i should be fine on that!!!!! so where are the instutions on how to do this?

on a side note i pulled 37 psi today in 2 gears, thats a lot for stock injectors is it not?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts