Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I ajusted the smoke screw. Just alittle puff of smoke now. Once it hits about 10 pounds of boost the smoke really comes on. Should i slide the plate back #10 or the housing. Boost from 0-10 is better but really picks up around 10#. Im trying to get it to p/up quicker from 0-10

· So God Made a Farmer..
2,042 Posts
fiddle with the AFC......

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fine tuining

I thought the smoke screw was for course ajustments and the star wheel was for finer. Wouldnt it be of more benafit to ajust the course ajustment,until close and then fine tune with the star wheel. Its more of a haze untill 10 psi right now
Thanks

· Registered
81 Posts
Smoke screw is the fine adjustment. Coarse adj. is the housing location. Put that FF. Do NOT loosen the starwheel as far as it will go, that is not the way to good power, it will only smoke like hell = too much.

What pump do you have? If it's a 215 then don't do AFC mods but if it's any smaller pumps the search the forum or go to Comp Diesel and find the instructions.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
Always leave the housing full forward.
Turn the top of the starwheel towards the engine as far it will go.
What? why would you do this, to much fuel to early= lag and heat.
Smoke screw is the fine adjustment. Coarse adj. is the housing location. Put that FF. Do NOT loosen the starwheel as far as it will go, that is not the way to good power, it will only smoke like hell = too much.

What pump do you have? If it's a 215 then don't do AFC mods but if it's any smaller pumps the search the forum or go to Comp Diesel and find the instructions.
Why not on the 215? Just adjust the timing accordingly. The people youve actually put a mack plug on their 215's all did it with success.

· Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is the 215 pump. I guess I need to look into the mod and at least so I understand what people are talking about. I understand tha tt he smoke screw needs to be lightly seated againt the diaphram (sp). For the life of me I could not feel it. May have to back the lock nut off more. Maybe Im not fully understanding the funtion of the star wheel? (thought it was for fine tuinning pre boost)
Thanks

· Registered
9,927 Posts
The 'smoke screw' adjusts the zero boost fueling, as does adjusting the AFC housing location. starwheel adjusts when and at what rate the fuel comes in at.

Now, that being said, its one big jumble on how you can adjust them, especially because all 3 settings effect each other to some degree

· So God Made a Farmer..
2,042 Posts
well said ykdave.....

· Registered
157 Posts
If you take the afc off the truck and rig up regulated shop air to it you can really learn how it works. I did some trimming on it to get full travel and then adjusted star wheel to see what happens at what psi. There are some great write ups over on Competition Diesel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.