Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mystery pull to the left (driver side) when braking....

So far I: replaced the swaybar links with Maxxlinks.
Replaced tires with stock size BFG AT KO's.
replaced track bar with a bigger Moog Problem Solver track bar. (this made problem worse & alignment off more)

Checked the front brake Calipers: replaced slider pins & greased both sides. Replaced Right caliper as piston was crooked....

Replaced brake lines because they were rusting & leaking.

Replaced front & rear shocks & steering stabilizer/damper(shock).

Now considering replacing the brake rotors or having them turned in case they are warped... ???? if so I'll also put on ceramic brake pads

I'm planning on getting the truck Alignment done soon.. Thats why I did all the shocks etc....

Any Ideas???? This is getting expensive... :confused013:

·
Rescue Tower
10,827 Posts
Why haven't you looked at the rear drums????

Warped rotors can be felt. Ceramic brake pads won't change anything either. Changing one caliper is not normally an accepted practice. Should change both at the same time. Stop throwing parts at it, unless you want to replace the entire brake system. Make sure your drums are set up correctly.

Put your truck details in your signature line.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's involved in "checking the rear drums/brakes" & I've heard folks say manually adjust them (like turn the star wheels?) I haven't played with drums in a few years.....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Once you have the rear wheel off, it's easy to pop the drum off and you can inspect the shoes and drum for wear and tear. Replace as needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I read the how to adjust the brakes on the sister site: CumminsDatabase.com :: Adjusting Rear Drum Brakes
I'll pull the drums & inspect as soon as I get a chance. Now that I think of it....
I got multiple truckloads of sand last summer (3700pds:headbang:) and thought I got some in the brakes at one point because I heard them dragging...... But I had the brake pull even before this - as long as I've owned the truck. I'll let you know what I find....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Replace The Front Brake Hoses

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wheel bearing, first thing that comes to mind. Thats what mine was doing when it was near shot, and it pulled pretty hard. Jack it up and see if ya have any play (back and forth) in the tire on the pulling side.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had this happen about 3 months ago I had replaced brake pads and right side line which underfed rightside rotor some how and ruined it Mechanic talekd to me about replaced rotor and it went away

·
Registered
193 Posts
my truck pulled when i first bought it. i replaced both calipers and still the same. When I went to get it aligned They told me the reason it pulled was because of my Ball joints. I replaced them and problem solved. but i still cant figure out how ball joints make a truck pull when braking.

·
Registered
740 Posts
my truck pulled when i first bought it. i replaced both calipers and still the same. When I went to get it aligned They told me the reason it pulled was because of my Ball joints. I replaced them and problem solved. but i still cant figure out how ball joints make a truck pull when braking.
if there is any kind of play in the ball joints the running toe can change while driving thhus ccausing you truck to pull or drift no matter how many times you do your alignment. running toe = toe while while vehicle is moving.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Why?

just inspect them to see it they are dry, cracking or bulging
I HAVE BEEN A MECHANIC FOR 35YRS-ABOUT ONCE A YEAR OR SO I GET A CAR OR TRUCK IN MY SHOP THAT HAS A BRAKE PULL. SOMETIMES THE INNER LAYER OF RUBBER INSIDE THE HOSE BECOMES LOOSE AND CAN ACT LIKE A CHECK VALVE OR RESTRICTION NOT ALLOWING FLUID TO FLOW FREELY TO THE CALIPER BUT WILL ALLOW IT TO RETURN WHEN YOU RELEASE THE BRAKE,RESULTING IN UNEVEN BRAKE FLUID PRESSURE TO THE CALIPERS. SOMETIMES IT WORKS THE OTHER WAY-FLUID WILL FLOW INTO THE CALIPER FREELY,BUT CAN'T RETURN AND THE BRAKE WILL DRAG-I HAVE SEEN THIS CONDITION BE VERY BAD,IF YOU STEP ON THE BRAKE HARD WHILE STOPPED THEN RELEASE THE BRAKE THE AFFECTED BRAKE WILL BE LOCKED UP,SOMETIMES YOU CAN WIGGLE THE HOSE AND THE BRAKE WILL RELEASE. I KNOW THIS SOUNDS FAR FETCHED-BUT BELIEVE ME I HAVE SEEN IT MANY TIMES!:thumbsup:

Reactions: motormayhem

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Heh, I'll be interested to see how this comes out. Mine pulls to the right when braking.. Never did figure it out until I was rotating tires and pulled the drum, planning to check the axles. Left rear hub was leaking fluid.. I still haven't fixed it, heh

·
Registered
182 Posts
I still think it could be the wheel bearing. Nobody agrees? Mine pulled like hell when it started to go. Maybe its because of the heat. As soon as I replaced the darned thing (the housing fused itself to my hub) it stopped pulling.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think it's a bearing? It only pulls when braking quickly.
And when it pulls it pulls a foot or too the goes straight again.....
So if I'm going 20mph & I let go of the steering wheel & jab the brake the steering wheel pulls to the left about 4 inches then stops & the truck goes fairly straight again (in the new direction but not pulling more).
If it was brakes or bearing wouldn't it continue to pull until I was stopped or off the road?
I'm thinking replace steering box & add brace next (a lot of play in steering regardless ) then try repalcing flex hoses to the brakes & maybe rotors.......

FYI- Tires are New & inflated...
Checked the rear brakes & they seem fine...
I'll keep you updated... Thanks for the input everyone.

·
Premium Member
16,224 Posts
Buy an inexpensive infrared temp gun and compare the wheel bearing and rotor/drum temps after a drive with braking.
You can at least rule out those components and will find many uses later on for the gun.

Your problem sounds exactly like a worn out trackbar.
I know you said you replaced it but you have to consider that sometimes new parts are bad right out of the box.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't think it's a bearing? It only pulls when braking quickly.
And when it pulls it pulls a foot or too the goes straight again.....
So if I'm going 20mph & I let go of the steering wheel & jab the brake the steering wheel pulls to the left about 4 inches then stops & the truck goes fairly straight again (in the new direction but not pulling more).
If it was brakes or bearing wouldn't it continue to pull until I was stopped or off the road?
I'm thinking replace steering box & add brace next (a lot of play in steering regardless ) then try repalcing flex hoses to the brakes & maybe rotors.......

FYI- Tires are New & inflated...
Checked the rear brakes & they seem fine...
I'll keep you updated... Thanks for the input everyone.
IF THE BRAKE HOSE IS RESTRICTED IT WILL PULL WHEN YOU FIRST STEP ON THE BRAKE THEN STOP STRAIGHT WHEN THE FLUID FLOWS TO THAT CALIPER. IF IT PULLS TO THE RIGHT IT'S THE LEFT HOSE AND IF IT PULLS LEFT IT'S THE RIGHT HOSE! YOU MAY THINK I'M DRINKING MY BATH WATER-BUT TRUST ME CHANGE THE BRAKE HOSES!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: Friday I pulled apart the rear brakes & inspected them. RR Drum was hard to remove until I put down the two 4 pound hammers and used the 16 pound sledge hammer .
Both drum surfaces look good- shiny. Pads look fairly new with a lot of life on them, all springs and hardware looked clean & everything moved well. The wheel cylinders looked rusty but no leaks. Didn't see any axle oil leaking. just some rust. Cleaned & lubed brake bits . backed off star wheel adjuster a lot, cleaned drum & brake shoe linings & reassembled. Put back end up on jack stands & ran in first gear / reverse to test - would not stop. I adjusted the brakes until I could hear them scraping / rub just a bit. Test drove it & it seemed fine... but pull was still there.

So I called the local diesel mechanic on the block & he said he'd look & help me change the rotors next week. (I read so many horror stories of rotors not coming off & ruining unit bearings & ball joints I'm apprehensive to even try it) Even though I've changed rotors an many different cars & truck over the years...

Saturday: Helped a fellow Dodge Cummins owner move some diesel storage tanks etc. Josh is a real diesel freak and a good wrench. I had him drive my truck & then we inspected it.
He noticed that going down the road, if you let go of the steering wheel it tracks straight... hit the brakes and it pulls left.... BUT- only for a foot or two to the left.. then stops pulling & goes straight. About as much as the slight play in the steering.... ah ha!

If this was brake pull wouldn't it pull me entirely off the road or keep pulling until I stopped?

So he had me work the steering & searched for play in the system. (I've been wanting someone to help me with this because I suspected I needed a new steering shaft).
Everything looked tight at first, ball joints, steering shaft... then we found it.. the sector shaft in the steering box/gear has a lot of play in it!! Side to side.

I'd already purchased a BD Diesel Performance steering brace but had not yet installed it. (got it late last week)
Now I've decided the next step is to replace the steering box.
After that I'll test drive before adding the steering brace. I think this is the issue + I think the alignment on the truck needs more toe in.. It looks like its toes out a bit.

I'll replace the steering box, add the brace & let you know if that's the cure!!! If not, I'll replace the front brake hoses.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have the same brake pull to the left promblem. replaced the left caliper because bleeder was broke off in it and replaced the left rubber front brake line. got a leak behind the brake line in the metal brake line were 2 brake lines go into a box and then one goes to the back brakes. going to fix that tomorow and hopefully gets rid of my spungy pedal. any suggestions on what to change next to make the pull go away?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts