Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 4.5 inch Fabtech lift put on a couple of weeks ago with 35 toyo mt's. Had it done at Les Schwab (in my opinion a really good tire store). They have lifted quite a few Dodges and before I had the lift put on they advised me they have experienced some of the trucks pulling to the right after lifting the truck. They don't know why this is happening and Dodge has been no help to them. Just my luck my truck is pulling to the right now. It had an alignmnent after the lift. I would think a proper alignment would had avoided the problem. I called Fabtech and they have never heard of this happening. It's not a hard pull to the right, just a nuisance. Plus it shouldn't be doing it anyway. Has anybody else experienced this after lifting their truck?

·
Registered
541 Posts
My truck pulled right from the day I bought from the dealer. I brought it back and they siad it was due to the crown in the road, which is b.s cause not every road I drive on is crowned. Since then two of my friends have bought Dodge 2500s and their trucks pull to the right also. I rotated the tires, which helped a little but didnt cure it completely. Your best bet is to take the truck to a reputable alignment shop and see if they can get the pull out. If that doesnt work then do what I did and get yourself a quality, nitrogen charged stabilized. My Fox stabilizer from Don Thuren completely took away the pull. Now I can take my hand off the wheel at any speed and the truck goes straight. I think its because of the nitrogen charge. The stabilzer puts just enough pressure on the drag link to keep the wheels straight. I realize that the truck shouldnt pull regardless of the stabilizer, but I needed one anyway and now Im not anoyed every time I drive.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If the "Track Bar" isn't adjusted properly when they did the lift, then your axle will be pushed to one side of the truck more than the other. The front and rear axles won't line up and causes a pull to one side.

Another thing I heard on here, is that the Toyo MT's have a directional pattern that causes a pull to one side. I don't have Toyo's and can't personally speak on this, but have read it in a few threads here.

Rule out the track bar adjustment first, then tires. One way to tell would be put the stock wheel/tires back on and see if it pulls. If it doesn't, you know its the tires. If it does, its probably the track bar out of adjustment.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nearley all roads in the USA have a variable road crown built into it for drainage. A quality alignment tech should be able to compensate for this by adjusting the caster or camber angles. I am an alignment tech myself and have not had a problem lifting trucks. Poast up your alignment readings and I might be able to help you out.

You could also try to temporarily swap your front tires and see if it pulls left. Then you know that it is in the tires. Also check your tire pressures just to make sure.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My truck did this as well. I thought it was alignment, but it is not. It is your trackbar, combined with the crown in the road. All roads have a bit of a crown, some more than others.

I would also bet that your Toyo's are making the pull worse, as they grab exceptionally well. The truck is going to want to take the path of least resistance.

I'll bet another thing that you are encountering is a fairly sharp pull to the right when your suspension cycles over an angled expansion joint on the freeway.

What kind of stabilizer are you running?

·
FUEL
646 Posts
the bigger the vehicle and the heavier it is, the more the road is going to affect your truck. my truck is bone stock and the steering wheel stays cranked just a hair to the left when on crowned country roads,but then on the highway and on major streets it i shardly noticeable

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got the stock steering stabilizer on and have been thinking about getting another one. Maybe this is the time to do it. As far as the track bar goes - I will mention it to the shop that did the lift. You would think that they would know this! I'm at work now but when I get home I will try and post the alignment information. I sold my stock wheels and tires so I can't compare anything with them. Thanks for the input everybody.

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
My truck did the same after I had the level kit and Toyo's installed. The level kit was put at the dealership and the tires/ wheels were installed at Les Schwab.

That said, I've read on here that if you buy an adjustable trackbar, you can cure the pull to the right. I did not know this when I had the problem.

Les Schwab (in Lake Oswego, Oregon) knew exactly what the problem was and how they fix it. They installed some offset ball joints, problem solved. :thumbsup

·
Registered
177 Posts
I believe the toyo's are the problem for some reason. 4 of us in this area got Toyo M/T's & started having a definite pull to the right. All had our alignments checked. All Good. Here is the kicker to me it is the tires. I had my toyo's on an 06 & now my 07 both pulled to the right as soon as I put the tires on. I had my lift put on after the tires. I have an adj. Trackbar set back to factory specs. About a month ago I got a great deal on some 315 BFG A/T's. Put them on my truck for the summer. Now no pulling what so ever. I have read on internet boards of other people having issues with the Toyo's pulling right.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I Agree, It's The Tires! I Told My Front End Guy I Was Pullin Right And He Said "you Must Be Runnin Toyo Mud's"...damn! But They Sure Do Look Good!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
You'll get a large pull to the right with the Toyos unless you run an aftermarket S/S. My KORE 2" Fox completely solves the problem...Don Thuren has the same Fox 2" S/S for a couple hundred cheaper I think. Don's a great dude...give him a call.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's all very interesting stuff. Don't know where to go with my problem. I'm inclined to think it's the tires because you would think that Fabtech would know if there was a problem with their lift or not and would correct it because word travels fast. But you would also think that Toyo would be in same boat if they had a problem. If I get to the bottom of it you can bet I'll get the word out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My truck pulls to the right also. Might try a sterering stabilizer and see what happens.

·
FUEL
646 Posts
its b/c those tires cause so much friction that any pull is overemphasized. pretty simple. the bigger, the heavier, and the wider the tire the more pronounced any issue is going to be

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Toyo M/T's are an aggressive tire and a very good one on/off road. Most people just buy a S/S (Thuren/Carli/KORE) and solves the problem. Charge it enough so the truck tracks straight.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You'll get a large pull to the right with the Toyos unless you run an aftermarket S/S. My KORE 2" Fox completely solves the problem...Don Thuren has the same Fox 2" S/S for a couple hundred cheaper I think. Don's a great dude...give him a call.
Yep.. I have a KORE Prerunner system and after the install my truck pulls to the left. My truck pulled hard to the right with my Nitto TG's before installing the new kit, so it's really not the Toyo MT's... The Toyo's may amplify the pull, but they are not responsible for it.

Now with the KORE Prerunner kit, the race series stabilizer, and Toyo 35X12.5X17 my truck pulls left not right. I have noticed that when the front of the truck gets lighter as the suspension extends, the front will pull right, then as the suspension compresses it pulls back to the left.. This is a trackbar issue, not a steering stabilizer or tire issue.

The KORE S/S overcompensates for the pull to the right, and until the trackbar is addressed it's a tug of war throughout the entire amount of suspension travel.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Yep.. I have a KORE Prerunner system and after the install my truck pulls to the left. My truck pulled hard to the right with my Nitto TG's before installing the new kit, so it's really not the Toyo MT's... The Toyo's may amplify the pull, but they are not responsible for it.

Now with the KORE Prerunner kit, the race series stabilizer, and Toyo 35X12.5X17 my truck pulls left not right. I have noticed that when the front of the truck gets lighter as the suspension extends, the front will pull right, then as the suspension compresses it pulls back to the left.. This is a trackbar issue, not a steering stabilizer or tire issue.

The KORE S/S overcompensates for the pull to the right, and until the trackbar is addressed it's a tug of war throughout the entire amount of suspension travel.

Let some nitrogen out of your S/S. I believe Jeremy probably put 200 psi in it. You can run them down to 75 psi w/ effective dampening.

I never had an issue w/o an adj trac bar before I bought one. Steering just tighter and bump steer went away w/ head on encounters in the on/off road w/ the adjustable.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
My truck pulled right from the day I bought from the dealer. I brought it back and they siad it was due to the crown in the road, which is b.s cause not every road I drive on is crowned. Since then two of my friends have bought Dodge 2500s and their trucks pull to the right also. I rotated the tires, which helped a little but didnt cure it completely. Your best bet is to take the truck to a reputable alignment shop and see if they can get the pull out. If that doesnt work then do what I did and get yourself a quality, nitrogen charged stabilized. My Fox stabilizer from Don Thuren completely took away the pull. Now I can take my hand off the wheel at any speed and the truck goes straight. I think its because of the nitrogen charge. The stabilzer puts just enough pressure on the drag link to keep the wheels straight. I realize that the truck shouldnt pull regardless of the stabilizer, but I needed one anyway and now Im not anoyed every time I drive.
You need new off set ball joint on the front right!!! I had the samwe lift put on from schwabies and thats all that it needed!!! I love it but boy did it annoy the hell out of me when I first got it back!!!

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I Agree, It's The Tires! I Told My Front End Guy I Was Pullin Right And He Said "you Must Be Runnin Toyo Mud's"...damn! But They Sure Do Look Good!!
it aint the tires at all!!! Toyo has some of the strictest req's of any tire company out there!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts