Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok me and my friend are strongly thinking of getting into the logging business and we dont want to get a log truck we will have a guy come and haul them for use so my question is do you think a dodge 3500 srw and GMC 2500hd both with goosenecks pull a 22,000lb skidder and 18,000lb excavator?? and do you think it is a big deal it is over weight for the trucks leagel limits??

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
based on what Ive seen on that ax men show it looks like logging is quickly becoming a tough way to make a living

·
Buck Ofama
1,343 Posts
I got rid of my 01 2500 because of the single rear wheel and only pulled 15k with it. Couldn't imagine 22k especially off road. By the way I'm from Mercer county origanaly. My dad got pulled over last month with a load of sawdust because PENNDOT thought he was over weight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well we would like to do that, but if we cant pull with the trucks we will stay with our construction company driving dump trucks! keep the posts coming though

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
well if your dodge has a cummins it will pull it :lol3: :thumbsup my step bro has a 94 2500 dodge cummins all stock and he had a load of iron he was at 28,000lb thats a bit havy but it pulled it down the hwy at 65mph:thumbsup

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
Sorry to much weight for your trucks IMO, go medium duty or stick with what you are doing :thumbsup

·
Registered
99 Posts
HEYThat should be no problem. I have a CAT 245 and I pull with my 2500 with no problem. More than enough power. Yes it is very close to limits when I carry more than what I need But we all need toys.
Mike b.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Just because the truck can pull it, doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
293 Posts
da beast,, did you mean the 245 excavator or skidsteer? if it is the excavator i would love to see a video of that lol.

·
Registered
8,732 Posts
16' landscape trailer and bobcat

i have 06 dodge 2500 that I pull a 5400lb 16ft landscape trailer and put a 272C Cat that weighs almost 10,000lbs and the truck pulls pretty decent for over 15000 lbs...:thumbsup

·
Registered
192 Posts
ON normals roads you can do it. It is illegal, but out in the woods you need to be stupid and very lucky to not get kill!! Or know how to drive in any codition. LIKE HOW TO BEND OVER AND KISS YOUR GO BY GOING DOWN A 10% GRADE AND YOUR BRAKES FAILED ON TRAILER ON GRAVEL AND A 15MPH CORNERS COMING FAST ECT.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i pulled a CAT 446B backhoe with my 98, that truck sure hated hills with that baby on there, after that we pulled it with a dump truck that had a C-15 caterpillar, no pulling problems then:lol3:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Pulling is the easy part. Stopping is a whole other issue!
I just love my 2007 Dodge, beats my old 2004 F-550 in every way, except hauling, and stopping. That F-550 had a set of brakes on it you wouldn’t believe, if you haven’t ever seen them.

But of course it also had a 6.0L :thud:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was looking at fords and they can pull more and they have better brakes, just not sure of that motor!

·
Premium Member
2,348 Posts
that 6.4, 7.3, 6.0 will diffenetly not hold up like the cummins will. They may have better brakes, but thats all.

·
Premium Member
718 Posts
Get an exhaust brake it will make a huge difference and in PA if your hauling over 10,000 pounds commercially you need a class A CDL. But on the other hand my friend has an 05 3500 srw and he got pulled over just over 30,000 pounds his fine was $2,000. The truck can pull it and it does have an exhaust brake. I definatly would be doing it on a regular basis thats for sure.

·
Registered
172 Posts
that 6.4, 7.3, 6.0 will diffenetly not hold up like the cummins will. They may have better brakes, but thats all.
But that may not be the case now! ;)
I’ve yet to see a Dodge 4500 or 5500 class truck in person. Dodge just might have Ford on the ropes in all categories now. :lol3:
Soon as it was confirmed Dodge was coming out with the 4500, and 5500 I couldn’t get rid of my F-550 fast enough! I figured soon as the 4500, and 5500 hit the street I was screwed! :ah:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ive seen a 5500 dump truck its nice lots of power with the dpf on, but for the logging thing it was just an idea, so he is going to stick to his dump truck and when I get out of high school Im going to go have classes to run bulldozzer and excavator!:peelout

·
MI Chapter President
5,687 Posts
Hey fellas, a SKIDDER and SKID STEER aka "bobcat" are 2 different beasts!

Id say NO way on a regular pick up, dont forget you would then apply for DOT stuff on your personal rig and Im sure if your over the limits of the rig they will nail you to the wall

Get a low boy and a day cab. You can find them cheap if your patient :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 25 Posts