Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to towing anything heavy so I am really looking for a yes/no that I am going about this safely. I bought a used 3 axle 18,000 pound 16'+2' tail deckover equipment hauler. If I use the factory hitch which if I am correct is a Class4 on my 2006 Quadcab, can I adapt that to a pintle hook style? I think that this plan works as long as I add the trailer which I am guessing weights about 4000 to the load weight and keep that under 10,000 for the hitch rating.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
993 Posts
As long as your tongue weight doesnt exceed the manufacurer spec.

·
Diesel Junkie
4,683 Posts
Get a Class V for that kind of weight. I got a Reese Class V tow beast. It bolts right under the stock hitch....about two hours in the driveway on my back and it was on.
Getting the spare tire out after the hitch is on has proven to be a challenge though....:thud:
You can wiggle it out,but its a chore.

·
Diesel Junkie
4,683 Posts
If I was going to convert it I would go gooseneck.
That was my intention , but with the MC and short bed...transfer tank and tool box , I didn't have room. I didn't trust the stock hitch to hold up for as often as I tow. My main trailer is 4500 lbs......about the same as the one he just bought...16+4 dual axle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Thanks for the quick responses. I didnt know that you could get a Class5 add on. I dont plan to use it alot, and the price was right for the trailer but I will look into it anyway.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
yes it will work we have two

1 - 8 of 8 Posts