Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well me and the shop owner pulled the tranny cover a while back(was clean been rebuilt when i dont know) after some thinking on rather i should take it to a tranny shop and see if its a modded tranny or stock. but i dont know whats all involved with checking what would be involved in checking it if yall can help me out on that i would like that so i dont have to worry as much

been wanting a 4gsk, with the fuel to get me there maybe a 100 plate but want to make sure the tranny can handle it(with the extra power and right foot. (i do have that low 10-15mph problem) and get on it every now now then.

hit 2,700rpms (got stock gsk fueled good through all the gears)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm not sure you can tell if a valve body has been upgraded by just peering at it, unless there is a manufacturers tag attached.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I am hoping I could find out what I got like I said. its been rebuilt but the previous owner didn't say so I am hoping that it has some decent parts in it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I'm not sure how you could tell by just pulling the pan.

You could pull the inspection plate under the bottom of the bell housing and see if you have a billet converter. That would be a good sign that other work was done.

You might also get a peek at the front band to see if it is stock or aftermarket in style, but after that, you have to do a complete disasembly to find out what else might have been modified.

Another way to tell is in the driving. How did it shift? Snappy and tight or loosey-goosey with low shift points?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I'm not sure how you could tell by just pulling the pan.

You could pull the inspection plate under the bottom of the bell housing and see if you have a billet converter. That would be a good sign that other work was done.

You might also get a peek at the front band to see if it is stock or aftermarket in style, but after that, you have to do a complete disasembly to find out what else might have been modified.

Another way to tell is in the driving. How did it shift? Snappy and tight or loosey-goosey with low shift points?

It's a stock converter..

Seriously man no offense, but the odds you have any performance type of trans part is nill, and continuously making threads trying to find out if you do isn't helping. Don't you think the PO would've mentioned if it did when you bought it?

·
Registered
629 Posts
It's a stock converter..

Seriously man no offense, but the odds you have any performance type of trans part is nill, and continuously making threads trying to find out if you do isn't helping. Don't you think the PO would've mentioned if it did when you bought it?
I agree... If it has a stock converter than it is not a built transmission. That's why I made that my first item to check.

Sounds like the OP is hoping that he doesn't have to build the transmission first, but like everyone eventually discovers, yes -- YOU DO have to build the transmission FIRST! :hehe:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I havent taken the truck to a tranny shop yet
It shifts firm when running through the gears

I am hoping to at least have some parts in it I will be happy to find a single disk

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Didn't you already post a picture of your converter? It looked exactly like mine, stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.