Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 3500 Dually 4x4 8 foot bed Patriot Blue AT 48re Torson LSD 3.73 gears
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still dont have very much floor air coming out the floor vents, which is one of the mode 2 doors I think has broken.
I do get Panel AC full air, full defrost, and the hot and cold selection works.
I thought about tearing out the dash and buying a 5 door set from Blend Doors USA.
But I think I will wait on that big job. I can live with little air out the floor vent for now.

What I did do was remove the cowl and block the outside air coming in, that way the truck is always on air recirculation. Simply put aluminum tape over that slot.

Other thing I read is the actuator motors will run continuously with no door to stop them from turning. The computer senses amp load on the motors, and when the door stops against its stop, the computer turns off power to the actuator. Does that mean that actuator motor with a broken door continuously turns?

I also have premium sound, so that amp is in the way of getting to the recirc motor, which really forces a complete dash teardown, whenever I get into this someday, maybe.

It is very dirty under the cowling cover
And it was difficult to remove, any tips on doing that?

When you remove the blower, you can reach in there and get the door out intact.

Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Computer keyboard Input device Office equipment Bumper Rectangle

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, found the solution to get the plastic cowl loose, tear it off with your hands. What happens is there are these plastic hooks the lock into square holes right under the windshield and they dont come loose. There is one on the passenger side, and 2 on the driver side. So when you remove it, they break off or bend.

All of the cheap rubbery weather-strip supposed to seal plastic cowl to window and keep out twigs and leaves is cracked and hardened. I had several inches of mulch laying on the metal shelf, and an ant nest to clean up.

Remarkably, the wiper arms are easy to get off, slip the clip over, lift blade and rock it off the pivot.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cruddy fitting part, it also does not match the hood edge as viewed from sitting in the cab.
I just put it back on. Easiest way is preassemble both sides which also allows you to put the washer hose properly in the slots, then with hood up, slide it down window and over the wiper pivots. The lift up front edge and guide the hooks into the square metal holes. I found it has shrunk, or maybe was made shrunken, as it has to be pulled apart 1/2" to get the hooks and screw holes to line up. Lousy design is what I think.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here it is joined together, however on truck, the gap is more like 1/2" apart.

Bumper Automotive exterior Belt buckle Strap Tints and shades

Backside showing the hoses. There are many hose hold downs all along these parts.
I glued the rubber parts back on with Loctite PL roof flashing polyurethane
Sleeve Tints and shades Metal Fashion accessory Font

3,499 Posts
Siiigh,, that plastic cowl drives me nuts too.

The 2 pieces slip fit together. It's not a tight fit, 1/2" is about right and the same as my truck.
Tons of those are available in the autowreckers in 1500's though. Although those are all old and sun damaged also.

Reactions: Klausenheimer
1 - 5 of 5 Posts