Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,776 Posts
Well, aside from the the damage the K&N did to my turbo, it's going to be interesting to see the how the companies involved will react. A turbo is only $4,500 but how K&N handles it is going to be worth millions. Chrysler has already stepped up at their expense and proven to me why they voided my warranty and though the void is only specific to this issue, meaning they won't repair anything that can be related to air-flow damage, they have built a strong enough case to convince me they shouldn't have to repair damage caused by my decision to use a K&N. NOW! K&N on the other hand is on the hook. They need to repair the damage, as stated in their claim I have in writing, or the cost of this is nothing compared to the cost that social media can inflict on a company. Even this conversation has risen enough concern with you guys that if K&N won't stand behind their claim or product you'll most likely choose another filter media. If they blow me off, I'm the kind of guy that will make sure my voice is heard. $4,500 comes and goes quickly but negative reviews are for ever.
IDK how much social media will do, but you might get a lot of simular opinions popped up there where K&N might realize their brand name is garbage in the actual market by people that know much about their quality of filtration

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
What he’s avoiding has much more of my interest than what he’s saying. He hasn’t addressed the oil consumption, thickening, or tested for blow by? His ccv wasn’t full for nothing. Something isn’t right here.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
OK... I just went and started my truck (hot from 50mi trip) popped the hood and took off the oil fill cap. It sits steady on the hole upside down and nothing but a slight hot air current is coming out. No white smoke and if I were to be critical of what I see, I would say "steam" that is barely visible is present.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
As for oil consumption... I when I emptied the catch basin to retrieve my oil screw, I poured what looked like 8 or 9 quarts into a bucket and there was 1 quart or so in the oil filter. That would leave me a couple quarts low after driving 13,000 miles. I see what you're saying J and sometimes I need to be refocused on the situation and not get caught up in the politics. I appreciate that.
As for thickness of the oil. I didn't have a Blackstone container so I used a clean Tylenol bottle to catch the oil 1/2 way through the drain (oil was warm). When I went to pour it into their container the next day I shook the bottle and no matter how tight I held the cap, the oil was still thin enough to shake out... But when I poured it into BStones bottle it just seemed thick compared to new synthetic.

·
Registered
215 Posts
maybe this will work
That oil on the turbo is nothing unusual the CCV goes right there in front of it in fact if you take out a paper air filter from any stock Cummins it’s gonna have a black oil on it no matter what I think it’s a bunch of bs and they’re just using the filter as a scapegoat.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
As for oil consumption... I when I emptied the catch basin to retrieve my oil screw, I poured what looked like 8 or 9 quarts into a bucket and there was 1 quart or so in the oil filter. That would leave me a couple quarts low after driving 13,000 miles. I see what you're saying J and sometimes I need to be refocused on the situation and not get caught up in the politics. I appreciate that.
As for thickness of the oil. I didn't have a Blackstone container so I used a clean Tylenol bottle to catch the oil 1/2 way through the drain (oil was warm). When I went to pour it into their container the next day I shook the bottle and no matter how tight I held the cap, the oil was still thin enough to shake out... But when I poured it into BStones bottle it just seemed thick compared to new synthetic.
Looked like is not a measurement. Likewise for “ seemed thick”. When you state things in a declarative manner people assume its factual, not a guess. It all makes a difference when diagnosing a failure. Tell us what Blackstone says when they send in the facts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Sorry... I still had the oil in my catch basin and there is 9.51019 quarts plus what ever was in the oil filter and that's long gone. I'm fresh out of viscosimeter's so unless there's a home hack to check viscosity, I'm just going to say it's thick. Blackstone got my sample today...

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
You came here looking for answers, provided no real facts, didn’t do what was requested for us to assist you, and now you’re a smart ——-. You’re on your own as far as I’m concerned.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Well, aside from the the damage the K&N did to my turbo, it's going to be interesting to see the how the companies involved will react. A turbo is only $4,500 but how K&N handles it is going to be worth millions. Chrysler has already stepped up at their expense and proven to me why they voided my warranty and though the void is only specific to this issue, meaning they won't repair anything that can be related to air-flow damage, they have built a strong enough case to convince me they shouldn't have to repair damage caused by my decision to use a K&N. NOW! K&N on the other hand is on the hook. They need to repair the damage, as stated in their claim I have in writing, or the cost of this is nothing compared to the cost that social media can inflict on a company. Even this conversation has risen enough concern with you guys that if K&N won't stand behind their claim or product you'll most likely choose another filter media. If they blow me off, I'm the kind of guy that will make sure my voice is heard. $4,500 comes and goes quickly but negative reviews are for ever.
I am with you 100%.
Unfortunately, when someone shares their negative experience with a company, other people just assume they are just whining. You need some backing to be heard and taken seriously.

they are like biden, pander, saying what they need to to keep you happy but have absolutely no intent on doing anything
Is there a ‘Double Like’ button?

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I'm with you Matt but J's negative, unhelpful and unrealistic help... wasn't. If you look back through what he says there was no helping. I'm waiting on the results from the analysis. To ask me what the viscosity was of my oil was ridicules and when I go out and measure the oil, I'm a smartass.... good riddens.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I'm with you Matt but J's negative, unhelpful and unrealistic help... wasn't. If you look back through what he says there was no helping. I'm waiting on the results from the analysis. To ask me what the viscosity was of my oil was ridicules and when I go out and measure the oil, I'm a smartass.... good riddens.
Yea some people are odd, others get in odd moods. Part of the problem with forums..
Don’t mistake what I said as I think you are whining. I was more referencing the ‘social media exposure’ to K&N, if they don’t back up their claim that they warranty their product. All I am saying is to calculate your response so that you don’t come off as a whiny disgruntled customer..

·
Registered
231 Posts
OK... I just went and started my truck (hot from 50mi trip) popped the hood and took off the oil fill cap. It sits steady on the hole upside down and nothing but a slight hot air current is coming out. No white smoke and if I were to be critical of what I see, I would say "steam" that is barely visible is present.
Seems to pass the home school test of blow by based on what I've seen and heard. I honestly think you are worrying far too much. I had a similar problem with and AFE CAI. I popped a code and Chrysler said blah, blah, blah CAI is the reason, CVV needs replaced yadda yadda. So I had them reset the code, replaced the CAI with factory stock intake and Fleetguard filter and motored on. My Blackstone reports showed no noticeable difference in silicon between the CAI and stock...

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Well... I'm not here to make enemies or try to turn someone into a mechanic and if this was a forum of mechanics I wouldn't say anything without hard facts but what I thought we were doing here was bouncing things off each other.
I know it's a fat chance K&N will take responsibility and looking back I could see how it could sound whiny. I should have kept my mouth shut about what I "will do" and focus on what I am doing.
Thanks tnt that's the advise I need to hear until I get all the facts.... Speaking of facts my last Blackstone analysis show 3X's the average iron but BlackS says not to worry it's probably "lingering wear-in" 94ppm compared to 24 universal average. The truck was only 14,000 mi into its journey (about the same time I bought the K&N)

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic nor do I claim to have a home automotive shop. No supporting references shall be provided upon request and anything discussed here call be deemed chit chat.

·
Registered
231 Posts
XY Here is my latest oil sample from Blackstone. Truck had a new short block installed by Ram @ 57K when I bought it. I had the AFE CAI on it from ~63K to 88K. My truck has had high iron as well. I feel this is based on the new short block.

Rest easy bud I think you will be fine!

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
tnt thanks buddy, our oil analysis sheets look almost identical. Question do you have a paper filter in your CAI?

·
Registered
231 Posts
tnt thanks buddy, our oil analysis sheets look almost identical. Question do you have a paper filter in your CAI?
No I had the oiled filter. When I removed the AFE CAI I went back to the stock OEM system with a Fleetguard. The oil sample above shows ~3K on the OEM system and you can see no difference really in silicon...

61 - 78 of 78 Posts