Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
How many miles do you have? could be that your CCV filter is full. try changing it out. its about $50.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
OK?... So I am a hardwood flooring contractor... What am I looking at? new turbo tomorrow or next week or next year? How bad is this? Am I looking at cylinder/ring/piston damage? Somebody mentioned this may have only damaged myintercooler and didn't reach the engine. Now that you can see how bad this is, How bad is it... Mechanics please?

·
Registered
834 Posts
the blades dont even look bad.

looks like oil from the CCV.

is the truck running rough or anything? did you get your OA back yet?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Waiting on the analysis. Run's great. The CCV filter was black when I changed it out just before this all happened (67,500 mi. mark)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
But... come to think of it - when I changed the CCV filter it had excess oil on the underside of the plastic... enough to run if I stood it up on end. Is that normal? I actually wiped my finger in it to lube the new rubber rings.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Why haven’t you performed the test described when you first posted. What’s the blow by situation? Does it puff like a steam train out of the oil filler when the cap is removed? If so you have your answer. You’ve dusted the engine

·
Registered
199 Posts
Looks like ccv oil to me. We had a ram dealer try this on us too. Bought the truck used from a the dealer. After the first week we put an air intake on the truck. They got multiple codes a few days later and since the dealer was 2 miles away they dropped it off for a look. Dealer called and warranty voided because the turbo actuator failed and the air intake caused it. After a meeting with the ram dealer owner and the owner of the filter company it was fixed. Even know the filter company wasn’t at fault he paid half the price of a whole turbo with me telling him he Wasn’t at fault. Dealer waited till last min and fought like hell not to pay anything but they eventually paid the other half.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Somebody mentioned this may have only damaged myintercooler and didn't reach the engine.
If it did...maybe you can have K&N give you an “upgraded” one?!? Sorry...too soon?

Consider this, if you are hosed, what is the worry in holding off and waiting? You said the codes are no longer popping up and the truck is paid off. With the amount of emission related crap on these trucks, potentially some sensor was not happy. It might be unhappy again (future), but cash in your pocket now is never a bad thing. My opinion is no need to sell / purchase unless you WANT a new truck and you need an excuse for the Mrs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would never run a K&N filter unless you are a race car on a track and don't care about keeping engine wear to a minimum. Just hold one up to the light. You can see openings right through them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I personally would go by the Blackstone report. If it comes back fairly normal I wouldn't worry about your turbo or engine damage. The reason you had codes is because the oil from the K&N got on the MAF and messed with it. Very common especially if the filter gets over oiled. I wouldn't use a K&N if someone gave it to me. I really would be surprised if there's anything wrong with your turbo or engine. Just take a chill pill it will be fine. I wonder if the dealer wasn't trying to pull a fast one on you. As to your CCV filter, it looks normal. Every one I've replaced is usually very wet with oil. Actually have a 2016 coming to the shop for a filter tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Willyd, that's exactly what I was thinking, so I'm going through my bottle of chill pill's and I think you're absolutely right, If the analysis is relatively normal, I'm not going to sweat it. I read another post some guy wrote (very well I might add) that stated he changed his CCV filter at 112,000 not knowing better and said his turbo looked like the devil himself took a dump in it. Looking back, I've been driving a cummins for 23 years problem free... I'd be surprised if there's anything wrong either but Blackstone will be the deciding factor. F**king K&N and F'in me for falling for it! BUT THE STICKER SAID SO... rat bas'ters.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I’ve ran k&n filters with no problem. To me all reusable filters are made the same way and I personally don’t see a problem with them. Unless you’re off road all the time on dirt roads I don’t see anything wrong. Got a total of 1.5 million miles on them with zero problem.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
i think aside from the fact that they allow more dirt to impact the turbo/seals the oil needed to catch dust is no good

·
Registered
4 Posts
I ran a K&N air filter on my RAM 2500 w/5.9 Cummins from 2010 when I was at 75,000 miles until I traded it in 2019 with 250,000 miles. Never had any sensor problems, engine codes, or oil consumption. I only cleaned and re-oiled it about every other year or 50,000 miles. I probably won't put one on my new RAM2500 because I just didn't like the process of cleaning and oiling the K&N. I didn't save any money or time compared to using a replaceable filter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I replaced my filthy air filter at 5000 miles with a K&N. At 50000 miles the K&N wasn't as dirty as the factory filter was at 5000 that was pretty much all I needed to know about K&N filters. I've used an S&B paper filter for the last 70000 miles replacing it at 30k intervals.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Well, aside from the the damage the K&N did to my turbo, it's going to be interesting to see the how the companies involved will react. A turbo is only $4,500 but how K&N handles it is going to be worth millions. Chrysler has already stepped up at their expense and proven to me why they voided my warranty and though the void is only specific to this issue, meaning they won't repair anything that can be related to air-flow damage, they have built a strong enough case to convince me they shouldn't have to repair damage caused by my decision to use a K&N. NOW! K&N on the other hand is on the hook. They need to repair the damage, as stated in their claim I have in writing, or the cost of this is nothing compared to the cost that social media can inflict on a company. Even this conversation has risen enough concern with you guys that if K&N won't stand behind their claim or product you'll most likely choose another filter media. If they blow me off, I'm the kind of guy that will make sure my voice is heard. $4,500 comes and goes quickly but negative reviews are for ever.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts