Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
My 97 was my first CTD and the truck sales manager told me how great K&N filters were but he must have meant only to save money. I tried a banks kit and it came with a K&N filter and I quickly learned to stay away from both of those companies. I had dust in the intake tube and in the turbo in just 3000 miles.
I would go back to the paper filter, watch oil usage and hope for the best. Trade trucks if you think it's worth it. Old truckers, like me, used to do a 'Bon Ami overhaul' but you've already had plenty of grinding compound in your engine! Craig

·
Go Packers
6,592 Posts
AF27684

This is the only filter I use.

Reactions: mattswaggs

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
It wasn't so much as the $40 bucks as the ability to clean and oil it. I like working on my truck. Changing out the turbo...mmm not so much. Their written claim to reimburse for damage is going to be tested. I'll let everyone know the outcome.
We race trophy trucks down in Baja for the 1k... if K&N screws me I'm going to have a 1000 shirts made up saying so and hand them out :).. everyone is looking for a clean shirt after a few days of wiping dirty snot on the sleeve. LOL

·
Go Packers
6,592 Posts
Like stated earlier, proving will be an uphill battle. But yes, do let us know the outcome. Average Joe owner does not have deep enough pockets to fight a corporation.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
well, I do know enough people to get my warranty reinstated, the head of Chrysler of Ca. to send tech's down from San Fran. and been in touch with the senior warranty officer of K&N... don't make me pull out the big guns :)

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
well, I do know enough people to get my warranty reinstated, the head of Chrysler of Ca. to send tech's down from San Fran. and been in touch with the senior warranty officer of K&N... don't make me pull out the big guns :)
Its nice to have friends.... too bad none of my friends like me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I'm sure it will be fine, Troy sounds like a responsible business person and from the talks we have had on this issue, K&N has an obligation to their product users... and besides the sticker says so... LOL
Sorry about your friends Matt

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'll be rootin' for ya'. Craig

Reactions: mattswaggs

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thought I would chime in on this. Have you checked the 4 cheap hose clamps that are used on the air duct? Mine was corroded at the turbo and was almost broken. Saw a YouTube where a guy was installing a "cold air" kit and found two of the four clamps severely corroded at 7k miles and 4 years. Mine was caught at 60K and 6 years in service. If yours broke it could have allowed dust and dirt into the turbo. BTW my max care warranty would not pay to replace the clamp. Said it was a wear part. Yea right they are not stainless steel either.

·
P2609 Fanatic
1,969 Posts
In motorcycle circles K&N is compared to laying a piece of cheesecloth over the top of the airbox. Their high performance oil filters are kinda' frightening too.

Take a look for yourself. . .
Remove the air tube that goes from the airbox down to the turbo. Put on a white glove (or a clean white piece of tissue over you finger) and run your finger up the inside of that air tube for about 4 or 5 inches, then look at the tip of your finger. It should be near perfectly clean.
A minute amount of dust is okay but dust in addition to any oil residue is bad, real bad.

Water under the bridge but. . .
OEM is always the best choice for longevity (and obviously) for any truck still under warranty.

Closing thought. . .
I'm not 100% convinced it was all due to simply using a non-OEM air filter. (credit @Sarge50)
Good luck & keep us posted! 🍺

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,744 Posts
A lot of that style of clamp might have a SS band, but the screw is not always SS. We use them in situations that require full SS, i would imagine some pencil pusher saw 2 prices and choose the cheaper one without realizing the entire thing was not SS

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
No clamps on my air box - 3 screws.
I know there's a bunch of crap in my turbo, my mass air flow sensor was filthy. I thought I was doing a good thing for my truck, more air means easier to breath and I know some of you are saying "more air means bigger holes", If that's the case then I was naive. I thought it had to do with the cotton filter flowing better than the paper pleat. F**K! Live and learn... Seams like the more I learn the less I know.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Dam you're not the only naive one here, i to have a k&N filter and elbow on my truck now for at least 2 years, i will definitely be pulling the piping to inspect my turbo when i get home. I have been to some serious dusty areas since installing this filter so i hope i may be in luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just to update this post... I was urged to replace the K&N with an OEM by Chrysler and while I was at it I replaced my MAF sensor. The original one was black and appeared it could be fouled even after using MAF spray cleaner. I have not received another fault code in over 900 miles.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
1) chrysler is absolutely going to "urge" you to use one.
2) there are plenty of good filters out there that are not oem, just not k&n
3) i believe more air is a sum of either bigger holes or more surface area. i also believe the factory air flow is good to like 600 horsepower?

·
Registered
14,296 Posts
Ick. Gives new meaning to "oil burner".

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Just get some rattle can silver paint and spray it with the engine running. It will look brand new!

(I am obviously joking, before everyone melts down)

21 - 40 of 78 Posts