Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, need some advice... I had some fault codes on my 2017 3500 tradesman CC big box, mainly regarding mass air-flow leak. I took it to the dealer and they voided my PT warranty because of a K&N air filter. I made a lot of noise and Chrysler sent a couple tech's to scope my turbo. Sure enough there's slight damage to the fin's due to silica getting thru the filter, past my turbo and into my cylinders. Soon as I got my truck back I did an oil and filters change and my oil was thicker than normal and about 2 quarts low (a sample is on it's way to Blackstone). Chrysler says if I choose to replace the turbo I should have a bore-scope done at the same time, Due to possible dust-out, to check for cylinder damage, none of which are going to be covered under warranty.

What is the likelihood that the cylinders and rings have been damaged? 99% of my driving is highway and I don't take my truck off-road accept to get my 5er/ toy hauler off the highway. A reliable source is telling me I should sell my truck and buy a new one because of this. Are there any mechanics or gear heads that could advise me about this likelihood?

Thank you in advance,

·
Registered
241 Posts
You could try the old school blow by test mentioned on here. Take the oil cap off and set it up side down on the oil fill hole. If it gets “blown” off then the consensus is you have excess blow by. It’s going to dance a little due to engine vibrations but should generally stay on top of the hole.

just my $0.02

Reactions: Electrojake

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used the filter because the Mopar was $40 each, I like the reusable aspect and I run K&N on all my high performance vehicles.
I've reached out to K&N and they are really interested. Say they'll stand behind their product but that's yet to be seen. I'm waiting on the video from Chrysler and test result from Blackstone before I start asking K&N for anything

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is what the head of service for California said.

Our Tech Advisors Paul and Art who are both former technical trainers for FCA found that we do have traces of oil and damage to the turbocharger. Attached are some images of the turbocharger showing oil that indicates an internal seal damage caused by the K&N aftermarket air filter. The oil around the turbocharger is a sign of debris passing through the K&N air filter and damaging the turbo charger, these are signs of what can also lead to a dust out condition. Ultimately, the seal and screen of the turbocharger will not repair itself. If it does get worse over time the turbo will fail and it can also take out the engine if added levels of oil starts to pass through. There is no information we can provide if or when this will ultimately happen. As goodwill and for customer satisfaction FCA approved 3 hrs of dealer diagnosis time to be covered under the factory to analyse these non-warrantable repairs without charging the customer. Ultimately the best scenario would be for the customer to also get a borescope image of the cylinder walls as well but requires additional hours of tear down. Dust out conditions can affect the cylinder walls with ring damage. If the customer were to have the turbo replaced it would be highly beneficial for the rings to be inspected prior to replacing the turbo. Just a precaution.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just paid off this truck and was looking forward to free of that. This sounds like there's a little damage but cause for a new truck???

·
Registered
307 Posts
I wouldn't guess much if anything would make it all the way to a cylinder. Your intercooler probably is a mess with a good oil soaking in the very least.

Check your blow by as mentioned with the oil fill cap. If it doesn't dance, I wouldn't worry about it. There is enough crap sent back through with the EGR that I don't think you have any problem.

Though I doubt there is much you can do about them denying warranty on your turbo.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
For the last 15 years, I’ve been under the impression to not use K&N filters, and especially on a turbo vehicle, which I have had a lot of. The oil from the K&N along with his dust the K&N lets in is a nightmare for turbos. Sorry that you got burnt, hopefully you can get it fixed soon.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,898 Posts
K&N filters are widely known in the community to provide subpar filtration. their claim to glory is to allow more airflow, which they do by filtering less. On NA vehicles that is generally not a problem, or vehicles running in sterile environments. But in Forced air vehicles the lack of filtration is a major issue. I'm sorry you had to learn about it this way, but their filters are not up to snuff. I will be very impressed with K&N if they actually step up, but i find it unlikely. keep us informed of how this proceeds.

·
Registered
5,213 Posts
That $40 sounds like a bargain now, doesn't it?
you know... I was thinking it, but didn’t want to be that guy who said it. I’m surprised you would be the one. You are usually so sensitive to people’s feelings.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,898 Posts
I think Jimmy senses people's feelings, more so then is sensitive to them. Like a spidey sense of sorts

·
Registered
14,471 Posts
you know... I was thinking it, but didn’t want to be that guy who said it. I’m surprised you would be the one. You are usually so sensitive to people’s feelings.
It's good to have you back.

Reactions: mattswaggs

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
i'm interested to see what happens. i mean if i owned the company or the dealership i'd probably be hard pressed to do anything under warranty knowing k&ns filtration. that's part of the reason i won't mess with the air filter. but in moreso interested to see if k&n is merely giving you lip service or if they plan to assist you along your journey.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts