Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin borrowed my grandmas truck to move and put power steering fluid in the master cylinder! now the front calipers lock up on it and the lug nuts burn your hand when you touch them. les swchab told me to just replace everything brake related, even the metal lines. Is there anything else i can do that wont cost her thousands to replace it all? O her truck is a 99 2500 ctd by the way

thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
you could start by changing the calipers and rubber parts. it might fix it but you will probably have to go further.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
1st, replace the calipers, and rubber hoses. Front and rear. 2nd, While they are off, FLUSH, FLUSH, FLUSH. until all is clean brake fluid. Bleed everything out and it should be ok. Be sure to replace the rear wheel cylinders too. (if it's drum brakes).

·
Registered
408 Posts
whats all this "you" stuff. Take it somewhere and have this brainsurgeon cousin pay for it all!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha the "cousin" does no wrong, thanks though kansas. thanks for the help guys i'll see how it goes today........

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is why no one (including my wife) drives my truck.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Ok, your cousin didn't do anything wrong. The master cylinder is assisted by the PS system on these trucks kind of the same way that vacuum helps in a conventional power brake system. That means the PS fluid goes back to the master cylinder and puts a pressure charge on it. Obviously the thing broke somehow. You are definitely gonna need to flush your system out, but THAT ONE part is what's bad. Take a look where the lines go, you'll see what I mean.

Unless your cousin topped off your fluids and is a complete moron.

Oh, and the flush won't be quite so simple. The PS fluid is a petroleum product, and won't readily be flushed out. I don't know enough to tell you what to flush with, but I know enough to tell you brake fluid won't do it. I don't THINK the ps fluid will hurt the seals. I THINK they are viton. Brake fluid is usually alcohol, and very caustic, so resistant materials are used to survive it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If he opened the top to the brake master and added PSF then you WILL have to flush the brake system and replace the rubber parts. If he added PSF to the PS pump then you are correct that the PS provides the boost needed to the brakes (CTD's dont make vacumme, thats why they have the vac pump in front of the PS pump).
Now, if the brake fluid is contaminated and G'ma has insurance, call in the claim and have the entire system repaired professionally. Yes Virginia, this is a valid use of your NO FAULT insurance. I have an Uncle that did this to his Lincoln.
BUT! if you are only interested in seeing G'ma off to the great beyond so you can inherit the farm... flush the system and let her drive. The problem is you may be with her when she cant stop and drives into a tree!!!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I guess I should clarify what I mean. I am assuming no one would be dumb enough to put PS fluid in the brake reservoir and not immediately stop and try and fix it. The reason I am thinking the hydraulic booster could be the problem is that the brakes are locking up. The way I am seeing it is that the PS pressure may be finding it's way into the brake system under pressure.

I still kind of doubt the PS fluid can hurt anything due to the materials used in the brake system. Unless the 1200 psi of the PS pump bursts something. I just see no reason everything should be replaced. Professionally flushed, yes. I would guess brake cleaner would be a proper solvent in this case, followed by a thorough flush with brake fluid. But this is a guess. But if the booster is bad, it will just pump more PS fluid into the system.

And anyone wanting to replace the metal lines brings the term "fleeced" to mind.

PS I just looked at the assembly again, and the way I am seeing it, if a seal lets go on the booster, it would push towards the rod in the master cylinder. I just don't see why the brakes would lock up just from liquid contamination. What do they feel like? Are you sure he did it? Did he say he did? Either way I have been wrong before, so this is just my opinion. I have also not had the booster apart.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If the seal goes in the booster then the fluid leaks between the booster and the master. The brake and booster systems are sealed and seperate, kind of like the engine and transmission. They are bolted to each other but don't share liquids and can be replaced seperately. The reason the brakes are locking up is the fluids are not compatible and it is swelling the seals and not allowing the pistons to float in their bores. So, when they move out toward the rotors they get stuck there. There is more than one type of rubber.
Replacing the metal lines is the safe bet. If there is ANY PSF left in the line, you will run into all this again. Maybe not right away but it will effect the system.
The brakes will feel REALLY hard and it will also feel like the booster isn't working at all. Again this is because of the seals in the system swelling and tightening in their bores (master cyl, slave cyls, calipers). You can try it with your truck to see how it feels, but I wouldn't recommend it :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the brakes kinda pulse.... do you think i should have it bled by a shop? my boss is a chemist and gave me something he said will work and will flush out anything in the line.(methanol or something i'll go ask right now) im thinking calipers, hoses, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, anything else? if i get all of the psf out and switch those parts then i'll see where to go from there?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If he opened the top to the brake master and added PSF then you WILL have to flush the brake system and replace the rubber parts. If he added PSF to the PS pump then you are correct that the PS provides the boost needed to the brakes (CTD's dont make vacumme, thats why they have the vac pump in front of the PS pump).
Now, if the brake fluid is contaminated and G'ma has insurance, call in the claim and have the entire system repaired professionally. Yes Virginia, this is a valid use of your NO FAULT insurance. I have an Uncle that did this to his Lincoln.
BUT! if you are only interested in seeing G'ma off to the great beyond so you can inherit the farm... flush the system and let her drive. The problem is you may be with her when she cant stop and drives into a tree!!!
the last part was pretty funny

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Beware of methanol. Wood alcohol is really nasty stuff. May ruin things. Before you start playing with chemistry, I would advise you to consider talking to a knowledgeable parts clerk. Acetone would be a good choice probably, but better to stick with chemical cocktails DESIGNED for the system in question.

A pulsing pedal doesn't sound like stuck seals to me, and I again contend I don't think the parts in question are "rubber" (like neoprene or buna n) I think they are probably nitrile or viton. If my pet theory is correct, you should be able to see a rise in the level in the master cylinder. I am aware of the systems being seperate, I am speculating that the booster could be broken. Either way, these are some ideas to look at, and the person actually looking at them will probably have a much better idea.

Another thing to consider is that bleeding the brakes on these things properly can be difficult, due to the ABS/RWAL system.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hate to resurrect such an old thread but what did the op end up flushing with?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts