Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 5.9L 2500, but I am on the hunt for a MC dually. I have heard mixed opinions about the 6.7L, but I really want to give it a chance.

I know fuel mileage can be an issue, but that is true for all the new emissions regulated diesels as far as I can tell. I hear horror stories of mystery problems that the dealer can't figure out. In gerneral, I am always leary of a first production year engine, hell the first 3 years are scary on a diesel, especially one that seems to be having the life choked out of it such as the 6.7s.

What should I look for when shopping a 6.7L diesel? What are the major problems, pitfalls and shortcomings? What are the good things, the positives and the praises.

Any info is helpful. TIA.

· Premium Member
124 Posts
Miine is an 07 the only problem that I have with mine since I owned it was the stupid emitions junk getting cloggged up and throwing the check engine light and every since I put the XRT and exhaust on it I have not had any problems and that is going on a year now! Other than that it has been an awesome truck and I have nothing else bad to say about it. If you get one the first thing I would do is get a Smarty or XRT and delete the DPF and you will be happy.:thumbsup:

· Registered
560 Posts
Mine is an 07.5 as well and I never had any issues with the dpf untill I ran the edge juice then I got the dpf full message deleted the dam thing and that was the last of that its never given me a problem knock on wood and hope it stays like that

· Registered
274 Posts
I have an 08 DRW and have had zero issues, 13,000 miles. Knock on wood. Tremendous engine and tranny!

· FUEL
645 Posts
great transmission if left stock. great transmission for a couple weeks once modified haha

· Registered
351 Posts
I,ve got 80000 km on my 07 and it showed 80% full once last summer and I had just came off a 380 mile trip.I drove it for about 20 miles at hyw speed and it went out and has never came back on.This might have been a fluke thing because there was no idling just 60 mpg on the road and no reason for it.

· Registered
150 Posts
i have 13000 on my 09 and aint had a porblem with it

· Registered
42 Posts
6.7 pros cons

I have a 2009 4x4 mega with 30000 miles. Only negative I can give about it is the DPF crap. Its just a liability as far as I can tell. I took it off with the DPF delete and my mpg went up and my egt's went down. Other than that great truck. I would buy another when this one has about 200000. Happy hunting!

· Registered
15 Posts
i drove my 07 off the lot with 100 miles on it and now i have just passed 41k it is all stock no deletes or programs being in town and idleing for about 4 to 5 days my catylist full will come on drivei it down the road 5 or so miles and back problem solved left it ideling one day for a good 4 to 5 hours and it showed 100 percent full a trip down the road cleaned it out and check engine lite went out the only thing that realy gets to me is the oil condition it stays black i know its a diesel but my 02 5.9 used to stay clean for 3k after oil change this 6.7 is black after you crank it. i am going to delete the dpf when i get a round to it. as far as the performance you cant beat it in my opinion it is a beast! i pull a 30' travel trailer and realy do forget its back there on the highway!

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the comments. all sounds good. i have great faith in Cummins as a company to build a solid engine no matter what restrictions the govt throws at them.

so why do people bag on this engine? why are 5.9s gaining value and 6.7s dropping? the word on the street is almost like Ford's 7.3 vs 6.0 scenario.

· Registered
548 Posts
thanks for all the comments. all sounds good. i have great faith in Cummins as a company to build a solid engine no matter what restrictions the govt throws at them.

so why do people bag on this engine? why are 5.9s gaining value and 6.7s dropping? the word on the street is almost like Ford's 7.3 vs 6.0 scenario.
It's purely due to the emission equipment, namely the DPF. The engine itself is rock solid but Dodge/Cummins really f'ed up the assimilation of the emissions eqpt. With GM's Dmax you don't know it's there but with Dodge it seems about 1 in 3 have to remove it all (voiding the warranty) just to keep the truck out of the shop.

Now, if you get lucky or are prepared to do the deletes the 6.7 is the way to go. Something to remember is guys with older trucks love to think of reasons why their older truck is better. Fact is the 6.7 produces more power stock than the 5.9 and is capable of producing more power when modded too.

Overall, I'd go for the 6.7 and if it gives you any issues then do the deletes. Problem solved.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's purely due to the emission equipment, namely the DPF. The engine itself is rock solid but Dodge/Cummins really f'ed up the assimilation of the emissions eqpt. With GM's Dmax you don't know it's there but with Dodge it seems about 1 in 3 have to remove it all (voiding the warranty) just to keep the truck out of the shop.

Now, if you get lucky or are prepared to do the deletes the 6.7 is the way to go. Something to remember is guys with older trucks love to think of reasons why their older truck is better. Fact is the 6.7 produces more power stock than the 5.9 and is capable of producing more power when modded too.

Overall, I'd go for the 6.7 and if it gives you any issues then do the deletes. Problem solved.
That pretty much sums it up for me. Good post. It just seems like there is a lot of bad info on the street.

FWIW, I can't remeber the last time I didnt void a warranty on any car I have ever owned. :thumbsup:

· Registered
5,245 Posts

Not true, the 2004+ trucks produced 325HP, and the 08's C&C's are 305 stock.:shock:

But that isn't apples and apples, LOL

Jokes aside, i agree, the 6.7 is a great motor well built, its the emissions that destroys it. Although until the warranty is up im not removing anything, not even unplugging the EGR.

Now my older 98.5 is a different story.

· Registered
161 Posts

I'm happy with mine. When pulling hard, the fuel economy seems to be the same as my previous two 7.3 liter Fords. But I LOVE the flat torque curve from 1500 to 2800 rpm. It just quietly and calmly pulls like a freight train. Unloaded fuel economy is about 2 mpg worse than non-DPF equipped trucks due to the whole regen thing.

I just went 2000 miles round trip in the mountains (up to 8200' elevation), up/down steep hills, pulling a camper and snowmobile trailer at 24,000 lbs GCVW, in 20 degree weather, 62-65 mph, and averaged 10.0 mpg. Totally stock. That ain't too bad as far as I'm concerned.

In my opionion, people "bag" on the 6.7 because they don't like the EGR and DPF. And those that have had problems are obviously the most vocal and make their voices heard on forums such as this.

· Registered
1,340 Posts
I have an 08' when I had about 12,000 miles on it I started having problems. Dealer replaced 2 turbos and 2 full DPF systems in 2,000 miles after numerous flashes. Soon as I got her back I ordered an XRT and all the deletes. Haven't had a problem since after 25,000 miles and a year later. Truck run the way it should have from the factory. Of course that was just the start of the mods. Crap is addicting!:banghead:

3,313 Posts
Not true, the 2004+ trucks produced 325HP, and the 08's C&C's are 305 stock.:shock:

But that isn't apples and apples, LOL

Jokes aside, i agree, the 6.7 is a great motor well built, its the emissions that destroys it. Although until the warranty is up im not removing anything, not even unplugging the EGR.

Now my older 98.5 is a different story.
lets compare apples to apples.. i do believe the 04s had a 305 h.o. option too didnt they? mines not a C&C but i have 350hp well did before the smarty. now maybe around 420 or so

3,313 Posts
the 6.7 will out tow a 5.9 stock for stock.. they just have more power and seem to have a better torque curve in my opinion i cant wait till dodge cranks up the power a lil maybe 400hp 800ftlbs

· Registered
415 Posts
There are mixed emotions on the auto tranny from some people on this forum, I for one am not a big fan. coming from a 04 ford PS which I loved the tranny. Interior is the worst out there out of the big 3 IMO, and the seats are the most uncomfortable POS I ever sat my in. But overall I do like the truck, I didnt buy it to have a nice interior I bought it because I always had a soft spot for a cummins and because I already had a ford and that was a POS so I figured I try the Dodge. I am still completely stock and am one of the lucky ones that has not had any problems with the emmissions crap still intact.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.