Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I have an '04 and I think the seats are just great. Maybe 'cause it's a 'Laramie'
w/ lumbar support, 6 way p. adjust. :confused013:
On a 10hr. 800km trip down to NYC in the truck it is all good, in the JETTA not so much. :doh:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I love my 03. The not so ugly steering wheel, and I like the seats. My butt doesn't hurt on long trips. The newer seats are stiff and kind like sitting on plywood in my opinion. personally i like the zero emissions BS being stuck here in Cali.No monitors with 6spd. I almost bought an 05 that had less miles on it with an auto trans but went with the 03 that was lifted on tires and rims and a 6 spd and it was about 6 grand less at the time. Motor was bone stock so I knew I couldn't go wrong.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Some of the 03's had the 47re vs the 48re. In theory the 48re is better but in the real world, I'm not sure there is a lot of difference.

I have an early 04 and I'm not sure when they changed the headlight design, 06? Either way, the headlights suck. I put in the better bulbs (Silverstars?) and re-aimed them and they went from really crappy to just poor.
Agreed. Stockers are terrible, I did the fog light relay jumper wire mod, then silverstar bulbs, and still sucked. Then I put in Putco LED bulbs in the headlights and fogs. Thars the solution, something like 2800 lumen on high, and 2500 lumen on low, and the fogs are 2500 lumen. I bought the nitelux bulbs, the supplier I got them from says they have been having problems with the ones with the cooling fans.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Better mileage is about the only benefit over the later ones. Everything else is a draw really, except the later ones make more power with a simple tune, every time.

No real major "issues" or areas of concern, just standard used pickup stuff to check. Make sure the AC/heat works and changes position when you move the dial; goes to defrost, dash, floor, etc.
WHY ?? Please more info

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Some of the 03's had the 47re vs the 48re. In theory the 48re is better but in the real world, I'm not sure there is a lot of difference.

I have an early 04 and I'm not sure when they changed the headlight design, 06? Either way, the headlights suck. I put in the better bulbs (Silverstars?) and re-aimed them and they went from really crappy to just poor.
The SO's had the 47re's with the much lower hp. A co-worker bought a 2500 2wd 47re and could never get more than 18 mpg. HO's are a different animal. Lots of California guys bought HO's from out of state with 7500+ miles on them for legal registration here.
Some fan issues with the mounting brackets being loose causing the fan to sever the electrical line along with falling into the radiator.

·
Trying to learn
5,847 Posts
Easy now 5-year-old thread and MoparProud hasn't been on in over a year.

WHY ?? Please more info
People are biased to the year truck they own, they all have some issues.
You can learn a lot just by reading some of the threads.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
16 Posts
What’s a 5 year thread to a 03 dodge? I was just curious on WHY to make shure the AC works and the controls. I don’t know everything and I’m not to wealthy so I need to learn anything and everything about my machine so I can keep it maintained.. I can’t afford to go get a new rig.. so why not try to make this one last longer until then..... if this is THE 5 year thread for 03 5.9. Also. We MUST learn from somewhere. Expesh if your a guy that had to buy a used “not maintained” rig lol anyways. It’s cool. Keep it tite, I hope you never have to use a old thread lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m not nobody, a guy mid 20s. With a 03 5.9 300thousand miles that been throwin my 98.5 5speed 1ton in and outta gear with no clutch past 2 years wap wap wap gggrrrr ah yeah there we go. I hope you have it all lol anyways sorry to rant. It stressful out here mechanicing under a shade tree. Hot too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
sound like a guy who only knows how to take the silencer ring out of his turbo that tells everyone he can grease up but really he payed a buck 25 for someone else to do it....zz

·
Trying to learn
5,847 Posts
You joined 1 day ago and ask 1 vague question and then start judging and ranting.
The "Easy now 5-year-old thread" was for everyone to realize the fact to not respond to people that haven't been on in 4 or more years.

Yeah, I would have guessed you are a mid-20s kid. I was there about 40 years ago and still drag my self under the truck to repair and change the oil. No one but myself ever worked on any vehicle I have owned until about 12 years ago when I became physically disabled and couldn't do the clutch in my '03. Hell, I still rotate the tires with 2 hyd. jacks in my driveway.

Your WHY pointed in no direction, If you had mentioned AC, I would have told you it is a big job to fix those mentioned things and would be a reason to pay less.

Unlike you, I looked and read for almost 2 years gaining info and the knowledge to do the repairs to my used but only 50k miles truck, (the newest and least mileage vehicle I had ever owned) before ever asking a question I couldn't find an answer for.
If you want to know something take the time and effort to create a direct question and not expect people to try to figure it out for you.
You are so wrong.
I rebuilt my 1st engine, a ford truck 302cid at the age of 16, At 18 I bought a '56 Ford pickup with a straight 6, picked up a 289 from a crashed '66 Mustang, then swapped it in with a Trans-dapt part to match the old transmission.
Maintained and drove that truck for almost 8 years.
From my 20s thru my 40s, I always had 4-6 people that I maintained their vehicles in my driveway while working as a mechanic at a Tow company.
I learned wrenches and what to do with them at the age of 8 while helping my Dad repair cars to flip.

Oh ya, it is better to leave the silencer ring in the turbo, more efficient airflow.

So now you jumped in with an attitude and make it so some will shy away from wanting to help

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I just have to imagine people with those kinds of attitudes are the ones buying 6 injectors off ebay for $500. lol. I mean someones buying them, sadly.

Reactions: rghavana and tryNto

·
Registered
16 Posts
mopar proud seemed so sarcastic, lol like a prep would tell me at a fuel station lol but just for the record. Sorry for my post lol I just seen mopar proud and Didn’t see your other comments lol my phone screen is so cracked and service is bad. Just trying to learn and sometimes for some people it’s frustrating lol later sorry for inconvenience, I am mopar proud tho. m, I know where a couple 69s are but I wishhhhhhhsed lol sorry.

·
Trying to learn
5,847 Posts
Sorry made you feel that way, sounds like pops taught you well, and 500 dollar injectors lol
The only way you made me feel is "Damn another 23-year-old D.A. that thinks he knows how life really is".

Also, the attitude spoken of is you.

Reactions: rghavana

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’ve just been criticized for what I have and its appearance by people my age that have had there vehicles gave or payed for Lol I’m shure you know how life really is, but don’t think I don’t lol like I said it’s frustrating lol have a good day and take care. Sincerely.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Priorities in life seem...confused.

"not wealthy"
"cracked phone"
"mid 20s complaining about being judged by vehicle appearance"
"purchased expensive to maintain truck with high miles"

Don't have to be wealthy to own a cummins, but if you're living paycheck to paycheck you're going to have a bad time.

Reactions: rghavana and tryNto
21 - 40 of 51 Posts