Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Diesel Head
1,560 Posts
I have water meth mpg and all I'm dying to know how it runs! MPG?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Nice write up :thumbsup:

Reactions: BoneSaw

·
Registered
749 Posts
sweet pics and awesome write up!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Cool man! Looks good!

·
Registered
289 Posts
so what results did you get?

·
Registered
203 Posts
The propane sprays pre-tubro??

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Safe...

Propane is Very safe... it has been used in diesel applications for Years. It is used as a catalyst to aid in a more Complete burn of the diesel fuel. all that equals in a more efficient running engine :thumbsup:
also it is not like you are spraying a Liquid into the turbo... It is fumigating the air flow with a vapor. and Pre-Turbo is really the only option. post turbo would be more pressure than the Propane Pressure, so it wouldnt work.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Propane is Very safe... it has been used in diesel applications for Years. It is used as a catalyst to aid in a more Complete burn of the diesel fuel. all that equals in a more efficient running engine :thumbsup:
also it is not like you are spraying a Liquid into the turbo... It is fumigating the air flow with a vapor. and Pre-Turbo is really the only option. post turbo would be more pressure than the Propane Pressure, so it wouldnt work.
I understand how it reacts in a diesel. I just wasn't clear on 35+ psi of hot compressed air and propane from the turbo to the intake...
I have learned quite a bit from this thread. I have never seen a propane injection system upclose.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I understand how it reacts in a diesel. I just wasn't clear on 35+ psi of hot compressed air and propane from the turbo to the intake...
I have learned quite a bit from this thread. I have never seen a propane injection system upclose.
Hot air and propane safe, add a spark not safe:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Hot air and propane safe, add a spark not safe:thumbsup:
Me thinks things could get exciting if a turbo grenades with the gas running...

Nevertheless, how was the power/MPG increase?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Very nice write up and also interested to know how it performs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just wasn't clear on 35+ psi of hot compressed air and propane from the turbo to the intake...
As for the gas getting hot, i would say the turbo system on the intake side dont really get hot enough to do any harm. Propane has a "autoignition" point of 1004 degree's. although i dont know what Intake Air Temps get up to, i doubt they get to 1000, probably more like a few hundred. also take in mind that the Propane going through the regulator is getting warmed to 190 degree's from the engine coolant that is also being pumped through the Regulator. so the heat isnt a prob for it.

so what results did you get?
also interested to know how it performs.
As far as performance and MPG...

I think if you set it up as the "instructions" say to, it defenitly gives you some power. Bully Dog claims 80 hp. maybe. and the Boost switch is designed to come on around 7 psi. this one comes on a lil higher tho. i think if it is going to be used for MPG (which is what i want it for) the boost switch needs to turn on at a lower boost level. there is a rubber plug in the back of the boost switch that can be pulled out to access the alan head adjustment. my plans are to turn down the propane level a little and also turn down the boost setting to where it turns on at a lower boost pressure. my truck being a 2wd reg cab short bed is pretty light, so it does not produce enough boost to turn it on at normal driving situations, unless of course you get on it a little. but like i said, i want it for Better fuel mileage.
It will proly be a week before i can do any real testing with results, due to the fact we are getting this blizard tomorrow. but hope to see some great results!

·
Diesel Head
1,560 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Bonesaw,
I was wondering if you have taken some hand calculated measurements when it comes to keeping track of your MPG. It would be interesting to use that as a baseline and then take a couple hand calculated tankful's after you get the propane kit installed and working the way you want it. I'm really considering getting a propane kit. I just seen $3.63 for a gallon of diesel. :doh:

·
Out There, Savin' Lives
521 Posts
BoneSaw,

When you take the rubber cover off, to open the Hobbs switch, I think you need to turn it counter clockwise in order to get the 'turn on' pressure lower, it might be easier to set it by using a 3/8" pipe tee, reducers, large pressure gauge, graduated in 1 lb increments, and a schreader valve to adjust the pressure setting to what you want it to be. I think it uses a 3/32 allen wrench. I have my propane system turning on at 2 psi of boost and get about 4-7 mpg increase. I get about 80-100 miles per gallon of propane, depending on use.

Also, if you use that setup to 'dial in' your usage, make sure and get a D.O.T. approved tank from an RV, so if you happen to get checked by law enforcement, you are in compliance. You can generally find the D.O.T. approved tank cheap on CraigsList. Besides, using a 20 lb bottle is actually more expensive than using a tank with a gauge. If a 20 lb tank is 4.2 gallons and takes $12.99 to fill, that is $3.09 per gallon, and if using a RV tank with a gauge is $ 2.30 per gallon, which is cheaper in the long run?

On a safety note, I used a second shut-off solenoid at my tank in case of problems, that way I wouldn't have to worry about shutting off the propane in case of an emergency. I have that solenoid hooked up to the switch inside the cab also. If you do have a second solenoid for safety, make sure and have it mounted solidly to the tank structure, that way if something does happen, there will be no propane leaking.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts