Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Sasquatch
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little preview of what's under our sleeve over on the west side. Here's a linky to the album of photos.

This is a father son project, I found the truck on the internet when I was at school in Alabama and drove a good 15 hours to pick it up. If you saw my recent thread a month or so ago we found out the rings were bad :banghead: so we are going to drop the engine off at Haisley to bring it back to life and maybe a few extra goodies.

I'll add more to the description later.

s

· Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing more of the "work in progress".

· MI Chapter President
5,431 Posts
you dont really have to take the interior out to remove the motor... just a little tip

:hehe::hehe:

Gotta love projects! Keeping my eye on this one! good luck!!:thumbsup:

· Sasquatch
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you dont really have to take the interior out to remove the motor... just a little tip

Gotta love projects! Keeping my eye on this one! good luck!!
I should have known. Well actually we had to take the interior out because we had to cut up the floor board to get the transmission to slide out and then drop it. The shift tower in the service manual was removal while the one in the truck was part of the housing. I guess that's what we get for using a service manual for a '99 on a '97.:buttkick:

We haven't decided yet for engine mods but the motor will be built for around 500-550 hp, all the power mods will probably be done at Haisley when they rebuild the engine. We're having troubles deciding which turbo combination to go with but for the injectors we'll probably go with something like New Era 435s to help keep the cost down. Of course there'll be aftermarket head studs but I'm not sure if we'll go back to a stock gasket or an MLS gasket or something like that, what do you guys prefer for head gaskets?

This will be a dedicated tow vehicle that's going to spend most of its life towing fifth wheels. For the interior we are planning on putting a 7 inch clarion GPS with Sirius satellite radio and a 20 gig hard drive for music and stuff, it'll also have a backup camera that we already have mounted in the back of the fifth wheel that has a reversed screen so it'll be like looking into a rear view mirror. It'll also have a Jensen 1.5" din radio to fit nice and snug in the stock location. Also we will mount two monitors in there, one up front for the passenger and one in the back for most likely my niece who will be riding in the back seat so she can watch her favorite movie, Barbie as an Island Princess which I have to admit is not half bad at all.

We will be putting leather heated seats in the front possibly with some katskin custom seat covers with the Cummins logo on it. We will leave the back seat alone for now as a bench seat because my niece's baby seat works well on it, once she's grown out of the baby seat we will be putting freight liner seats with one facing sideways. I'll post a picture of how it will look like because it'll be the same as the setup in the '99.

We're also planning on changing the dash lights to blue to match the Jensen and Clarion players and to match the McNally gauges we are putting in it. This boost/EGT gauge is only going to cost around 180 bucks. We'll also have a dual oiltemp/pressure gauge.

For the tail gate we will make a custom towing tailgate out of the stock one, basically we just cut a nice chunk out of it with the saw and relocate the handle and do some fiberglass work and call it good.

I'll post some more pics later.

· Sasquatch
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lets buy it and tear it apart.If you need any thing fabracaited let me or BBRam know we will be glad to help ya out:thumbsup:.
Thanks man, I'll let you know when we need something. I'll get a hold of you guys later on when we try to relocate the tailgate handle or when we get into another snag. The biggest thing we'll probably need is advice because we really don't know what the heck we are doing and if it goes back together it'll be a miracle.:lol4:

The biggest problem(or problems) so far has been removing the transmission, which BBram pointed out the Dewalt which had the magic solution, and the actual removal of the engine. Here's an illistration of our problem because obviously I am horrible at explaining stuff.
:S:

So you can see we are running out of room with the chain and we haven't got the motor all the way out of that mount thing so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

So now here's the plan for the tailgate because the previous owner nailed it so many times with a goose neck we have to re work it. We were originally going to buy a towing tailgate but with us being limited on funds we will do it ourselves by cutting up the original one.

Please don't poke fun of my photo editing skills, the red is what we are going to remove, not exact on the measurements on that but you get the idea.

BTW, when's the next GTG?

· Premium Member
19,670 Posts
Loosen the rear cab mounts and remove the front cab mount bolts. Then raise the front of the cab slightly with a floor jack under the pinch weld on the rocker panel. That will give you the cowl clearance needed. Works like a charm.

· Sasquatch
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys, I'll give Brian's idea a shot first because that sounds more fun and if that doesn't work I'll try removing the motor mounts completely and if that doesn't work I'll give Gary's idea a shot and buy a Chev.....Nah, I'd get a Ford since they aren't bankrupt.
:hehe:

· Premium Member
19,670 Posts
Oh, and if you haven't already, take out the rear valve cover stud and remove the rear valve cover, that will give you more room as well.

· Sasquatch
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, and if you haven't already, take out the rear valve cover stud and remove the rear valve cover, that will give you more room as well.
Thanks Brian, I'll do that as soon as I get out of class.

I think after this project is done in a couple months(hopefully) I'd like to make a better organized thread with a list of what to do to restore a 2nd generation and how to do body work and what to do and not to do when pulling the engine and transmission. On the not to do list, don't use the Dewalt sawzall to cut out the floor to slide out the transmission.
:doh::S:

· Gone Fishing!!
2,398 Posts
Is it just me or do you all know each other? :lol4: I need to get out more:banghead:

· Sasquatch
3,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is it just me or do you all know each other? :lol4: I need to get out more:banghead:
What up man! I'll introduce myself since I don't think anyone knows my name yet, I'm David and I'm going on my second year of college. I'm big into photography and I'm the tallest photography enthusiast in Michigan. Here's a pic of my graduation for proof.

:hehe::lol4:

Edit: Man you can probably tell I have a lot of time on my hands.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.