Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching for this information but came up with nothing... Im new to the whole P-Pumped 24 valve conversion idea and I was wondering if after I put a P-pump on my 24 valve could i still program it with say an Edge Juice w/ Attitude? :confused013: OR would i then have to treat my engine like a 12 valve and continue to add power by doing things such as delivery valves and tuning the P-pump like a 12 valve? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Rescue Tower
10,813 Posts
If you search for it and come up with nothing... pretty good possibility it can't be done. Probably best to sit back and read a lot more about these pumps and the process of changing them out before asking any more questions. P-Pump is strictly mechanical. You have to understand how to tune them. No plug an play with them at all.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
TH147,

I don't see why not. I used an old style Smartchips programmer on mine.
It did a fine job of calibrating the speedometer for the tire size on my 98.5.

Shainer was dead on-Sit back and read more.

Filling out your signature in your User CP will help people help you when learn enough to ask more questions that aren't already answered here.

Welcome to the world of Cummins.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Haha too bad this didnt get asked on COMPD.. but no its all mechanical..

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Haha too bad this didnt get asked on COMPD.. but no its all mechanical..
My answer was a little tongue in cheek but you can still program the ECM. It just won't affect the P7100 operation.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I took it as he wanted to program an Auto truck with a p-pump swap so it would shift better/properly or adjust other minor things, turn off the MIL light etc.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me ask this..... If I did a P-Pump conversion could I use a smarty because it functions through the ECM? Or would that be pointless?

·
Registered
268 Posts
The P7100 is a mechanical pump. no programmer will effect its operation. The VP44 is an electronic pump that can be programmed.
Rick

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Once ppumpef the only use a programer will have is to calibrate speedo. You CANNOT gain ANY power from a programmer with a ppump.

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
I took it as he wanted to program an Auto truck with a p-pump swap so it would shift better/properly or adjust other minor things, turn off the MIL light etc.
there are none that will do any thing to adjust the trans, short of a PCS controller. also none will turn off the MIL light. easiest way........pull the bulb. lol

·
Registered
221 Posts
there are none that will do any thing to adjust the trans, short of a PCS controller. also none will turn off the MIL light. easiest way........pull the bulb. lol
With chevys and fords you can do those types of things. I should remember were dealing with stupid chrysler stuff.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys! I understand now! lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
With chevys and fords you can do those types of things. I should remember were dealing with stupid chrysler stuff.
if i wasn't mistaken, Cummins and Bosch are both their own companies. get your straight

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I don't care what y'all say. I still think I can put a programer on my p-pump.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Well than you must know magic! the VP44 which was designed for a 3 liter engine is electronic and mechanical, connected to vehicle ECM, The P7100 is 100% mechanical, unless your going to make little arms and solenoids to hook to ecm, it CAN'T be programmed!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts