Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at buying a Ram 3500 cab chassis, it has the aisin trans, was wondering if the dealership would program the truck as a truck instead of cab chassis since the cab chassis's are detuned from factory. Has anyone been through this ordeal? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
361 Posts
Dealership, probably not. Maybe some custom tunes, either delete or emissions compliant are most likely your better option.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Dealer can't and won't load any tune other than what comes on it, they can't legally do anything like that.
I read somewhere that it was possible to custom order a C&C with detune delete, ie, a standard tune. If that's possible, than the "legal as long as that configuration was available in the same vehicle with the same drivetrain in the same year" rule applies.

Has it ever been possible or is it still possible to custom order a C&C with a standard tune?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Dealer can't and won't load any tune other than what comes on it, they can't legally do anything like that.
I read somewhere that it was possible to custom order a C&C with detune delete, ie, a standard tune. If that's possible, than the "legal as long as that configuration was available in the same vehicle with the same drivetrain in the same year" rule applies.

Has it ever been possible or is it still possible to custom order a C&C with a standard tune?

Wouldn't that throw multitudes of warranty issues since the detune is for a reason?

Also, sounds like OP is looking at buying a used truck.

Good idea though if it can be done.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Wouldn't that throw multitudes of warranty issues since the detune is for a reason?

Good idea though if it can be done.
I believe that any non-stock tune installed by anyone for any reason would void powertrain and emissions warranties. There's no escaping that, legal or not.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was referring to your part about the custom ordered C&C with P/U tune, I pictured it coming from ABC RAM dealership with a warranty. Probably a pipe dream.

·
Registered
812 Posts
It doesnt hurt to ask their service guys. It's not unheard of up here for the odd dealer to actually do the delete for you.

·
Registered
13,740 Posts

Never heard of anything like that being possible.

You can get a pickup with a box delete to make it a chassis cab.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Never heard of anything like that being possible.
Well, I certainly don't see it as an option on any of the online configurators, either. You'll get no argument from me. (But I read it on the internet! It must be true!)

This has all been discussed before, including some dealer comments. Not sure how much is relevant to OP's problem -- did he list the truck year?

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2013-2018-general-discussion/2324385-tuning-de-tuned-4500-factory-3500-tune.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is a 2016 3500 cab chassis.I may try to ask the local dealership and see what they say. Thanks for all the info

1 - 11 of 11 Posts