Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Programmers and Modules

610 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Sandaholic
How many miles on your 3rd generation with a progammer or module? Does anyone think a power adder considerably shortens the life of your engine, especially when pulling a heavy load?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
183 Posts
My 06 has 125k miles and it is stacked with the diablosport predator/extreme power puck. I also pull a 24ft x 8.5ft enclosed trailer a couple times a month. I have had no engine problems what so ever. The tranny crapped out a long time ago though.

· Registered
416 Posts
I have an 06 Mega Cab with 49,000 miles and the Smarty TNT-R. I now have to rebuild. 3 melted pistons and the head is cracked in 5 places.

· Bangin' through the gears
5,521 Posts
I've only had a tune in mine for the last 30,000 or so miles maybe 20-25% of those pulling 14-15,000 lbs. I have no allusions though. I understand that a programmer or any other power adder (for the most part) is going to shorten the life span of this engine. We can't expect these things to last for the same amount of miles turning higher rpm's and making 1.5 times the stock power. Or in some of these guys case 2, 3 and 4 times the original output!

I used to be really concerned about the question you pose. I would say man I want my rig to last 300,000 plus miles before a rebuild. Now I just want it to last as long as it can. I'm willing to play the game to get some more from my cummins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.