Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys im completely new to the cummins scene. ive had an 03 ford with a 7.3. and looking for a 06-07 dodge mega cab 4x4 dually with the 5.9. i know with my ford, you had the off the shelf tuners and chips that were ok but you also had the custom chips and tuners that were a lot better. what is the best route for the 5.9 cummins? im not looking to make it a race truck. just add a little power and mainly fuel mileage. i know there are off the shelf tuners for these trucks but are there custom ones that are better? thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Smarty Jr. on level 1 and you will be set.:thumbsup: Might think about some guages just for insurance though its doubtful you will need them.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I would say a Bully Dog Triple Dog (wait for the haters....) or a Smarty either one would be a good choice. I have had and ran Bully Dog since 05, so I have chosen to stick with it w/o any problems. But I know there are alot of guys out there running Smartys and praise the ground the truck rolls across:hehe: So I would say whatever you could find a better deal on used or new. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is the smarty an off the shelf tuner? i know with my bully dog stuff on my ford the egts were alot higher than the custom tuner i ended up with. the custom one also gave me a lot better mileage and power... id like a few tunes to play with. economy, towing, street, and some sort of a play tune

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
You can get a Smarty off the shelf. There are also quite a few different programs floating around for the Triple Dog Downloader.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bully dog is really good to the gt tuner is a one stop deal. It already has gauges and they have some updates out for it. I have mine and like it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Smarty has different "Tunes"

Revo
Revo TNT
Revo TNT/R

each tune can be downloaded from Madselectronics.com and loaded onto your smarty. One "tune" at a time can be loaded on the Smarty.

Each tune has nine levels, so if you download the Revo tune onto your smarty, you can then program the truck to run

revo tune /power level 1
revo tune /power level 2
revo tune /power level 3
etc..

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
it really depends on what year CR you end up with... some programmers work better on different years. Smarty works well on all of them! :D

if you get an 04.5+, the Triple Dog is a killer bang for the buck... if you get an 03/04, the PPE is a good bang for the buck.

FWIW, I ran the big bully dog crazy larry tune on my 06 Mega Cab and the biggest Smarty TNT tune. The smarty had higher exhaust temps, BUT the truck also ran stronger

until you do a big clutch or a built tranny, a used triple dog for $250 out of the classifieds is going to be killer bang for the buck IMO

·
Registered
7 Posts
This could turn into a hot topic.

I, in my humble opinion, think you should ask yourself some questions.

First identify what your goal is with the truck. Then do some research and find out which one fits best.

Are you looking for something you can adjust on the fly or do you want to use a downloader.

There are a ton of options bully dog, banks, edge, smarty, super chips and the list goes on and on. And all of them are pretty spendy. Some have built in failsafes that will back down if they sense clutch or torque convertor slipping, any of them if abused will burn up trannys and erode injector tips or crack the bodies of the injectors.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
i have a few questions too..

my truck is gonna be used for just daily driving right now and i wanna roll some coal on people who piss me off.. lol and im looking for some MPG...

later down the road i might be towing a buggy after i build it.. but only thing i really haul with my truck now is my bike which sits in the back of the bed..

i was thinking of just being smart and buy once.. the Smarty s06 POD.. or should i just save some dollars and get a smarty JR... i hear so many bad things about the bully dogs on here and im scared i will buy something that will do harm to my truck..

·
Registered
263 Posts
i have a few questions too..

my truck is gonna be used for just daily driving right now and i wanna roll some coal on people who piss me off.. lol and im looking for some MPG...

later down the road i might be towing a buggy after i build it.. but only thing i really haul with my truck now is my bike which sits in the back of the bed..

i was thinking of just being smart and buy once.. the Smarty s06 POD.. or should i just save some dollars and get a smarty JR... i hear so many bad things about the bully dogs on here and im scared i will buy something that will do harm to my truck..
If you're not looking for huge HP go with a smarty JR or or bully dog triple. Both can net you some good gains and increase mpg if you can keep your foot out of it. However, I'd suggest getting some gauges and thinking about building up the trans a little before throwing more HP at it.

Reactions: dixon700

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
I've heard bad things about every downloader... as long as you have everything on the truck powered down and good battery voltage, you really shouldn't have any problem

I've loaded bully dogs on probably 50+ trucks and never had an issue... If there is an issue, they have recovery files built into the unit. If you load the truck during M-F business hours, Bully Dog tech support is a phone call away.

Smarty is the best IMO, but most people will do FINE with a Bully Dog... I often recommend a used Bully Dog because if you buy one for the right price, after you do supporting mods like a tranny, turbo, etc and want to step up, you can throw the thing up on craigslist and sell it for what you've got in it (or more) to a Cummins guy, a Powerstroke guy, or a Duramax guy!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i pull a 42ft enclosed race trailer a few times a wk. the main usage would be for the extra mpg and the ability to mess with a couple friends. my current truck stays on the same setting 95 percent of the time. do they make an "on the fly" style (6 pos chip) like my ford has? im just new to the dodge scene and i dont wanna make a bad choice due to lack of knowledge like i did with the ford...

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
you could use something like a TST or and Edge and you can adjust different parameters on the fly, plus you have a display that will act as "gauges"

I prefer TST as it is more powerful and more stackable than the Edge because you can adjust the timing levels

a bully dog triple dog is adjustable on the fly between four different power levels.

a Smarty POD (all Smarty Jr's are POD capable) is adjustable on the fly with 100 different increments (00-99 power levels)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
excuse my stupidity but what is TST? im just doin minor things to the truck. intake, exhaust, gauges, and programmer. the basics. im really not sure what all there is to do to the cummins though. i just dont wanna get too far out with it. im after the fuel mileage deal and a little more power. i watched a friend go through 3 motors in a new 5.9 dually. it would fly though haha...

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
TST is a plug in module with all sorts of adjustability... it really is a slick little box. and it has a readout that shows your boost and exhaust temp. but there is something to be said about a programmer that has a 5 minute install time vs. a module setup like the TST that might take you an hour or two

I know everybody does intake, exhaust, and all that, but man, if you're on the stock automatic tranny? there's only so much power you can make... the stock intake and exhaust work pretty well... I'd rather buy a Smarty and run it on about 100hp for daily driving and about 70hp for towing than buy a used Bully Dog for $250 and spend an unecessary $1000+ for gauges, intake, and exhaust :eek:

don't get me wrong, there's NOTHING wrong with doing gauges, intake, exhaust, etc. In the past I was always quick to do all of that. But after 15 dodge diesels, I'm all about getting the best bang for the buck :eek:

the '03 I just bought... I didn't spend $1k+ on gauges/intake/exhaust, I put it towards the transmission and I put a Smarty on it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i know on my ford the egts went down with the exhaust and intake and the mileage went up. plus i like the sound of the cummins haha. does it have the same effect on the dodge? explain the hr or 2 deal of the tst. is that between tunes like say hp settings?

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
no, that's the install time... it's extremely adjustable on the fly... hp levels tq levels timing setting rail pressure setting, etc.

a Smarty will net you 2mpg on a bone stock truck... an air filter and exhaust might net you .2mpg... like I said, I'm all about bang for the buck! :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i take it that it isnt plug and play then? you have a link to where i can look at them? .2? it gave me a full 2 on paper with my truck. then i went and killed it with tires and wheels.. haha! bang for buck is always a plus!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts