Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PPE, Bully Dog and Hypertech test on 07 Cab & Chassis

With the help of Keven @ K2 Diesel Performance I've been able to do something testing of performance products on my C/C this week. Like most guys with the C/C trucks I'm looking for MPG, drivability and performance. As most of you know these three are hard to find in one package.

The products used in my test are as follows.

Pacific Performance Engineering, Diesel Performance Technolgies
PPE Xcelerator
Part# Dodge 03-08 5.9/6.7
MSRP $629.00
Setting and Power and Options
Tow 65hp 125tq
Performance 115hp 205tq
Extreme NA
View and Erase DTC's

These findings are based on my driving style and my specific truck. Results my be different with your truck and driving style.

Tow setting:

Truck appeared to drive as if it was stock until approximately 2500 rpm and above. When the truck hit 2500 rpm it did seem to drive fairly smooth and had quick acceleration. EGT's seemed very manageable and stayed well under 1300 deg. during normal driving. I done a mix of hwy and city driving and had no increase or decrease in MPG empty or towing.

Performance setting:

I could not get any specific information on this setting. As soon as I started driving the clutch immediately started slipping in 3rd - 6th gear. I had to maintain 1/2 throttle or less in order to drive it reasonable. For being as aggressive as this setting is, I was surprised at how smooth it was in the lower rpm's. I did however tow approx. 4K with this setting as reasonable as I could and went from 12.0 to 10.7 mpg. With a dual disc clutch I think this setting would be a blast to drive.

Bully Dog Site | Home
Bully Dog Power Pup
Part#42573
MSRP $599.99
Setting and Power and Options
Tow 40-50hp tq NA
Performance 75hp tq NA
Extreme NA
View and Erase DTC's
Speed Limiter
Tire Size
PTO
Mobile Desoot
Internet Update (cord not included)

Tow setting:

Same as PPE

Performance setting:

Same as PPE

My opinion:

I drove around for three days playing with both of these programmers. Both programmers drove the same (EGT's smoke everything) on both the tow and the performance setting. I even had a friend drive the truck and he had no idea I was changing the programmers. He said quote: I can't tell, did you change anything. What I found to be odd was everthing from start to finish, the screens, wording, prompts and the time to download seemed to be identical.

Hypertech, Inc.
Hypertech Max Energy
Part#52009
MSRP $512.00 :thumbsup
Settings and Power and Options
Stage 1 29hp 46tq
Stage 2 68hp 115tq
Stage 3 129hp 223tq
These power ratings are for the C/C trucks only: 3500-5500 series
View and Erase DTC's
Tire Size Correction
Internet Update (With Cable):thumbsup

Stage 1:

I did not drive very much on this setting. I did notice the power gain but thats about it. Keep in mind it's only 29hp and 46 ft. lbs.

Stage 2:

I drove this level around for two days towing around 4K. This setting was ideal for my driving style. EGT's stayed well in the normal, even on the hills. The power curve on the Max Energy is so much better than the others. The power curve comes on very smooth and ramps up with the RPM. I'd say it starts around 1,700 RPM and buy 2,300 RPM you really feel it. Oh yeah and very little smoke if any under WOT. This will be the setting I will be towing with daily. Great work Hypertech!

Stage 3:

Going to need a clutch boys! This setting is not as rough as the others but the clutch still won't hold. Very nice power curve and I did see 35 lbs. of boost a couple of times. EGT's did climb pretty fast but never got out of hand ( stayed under 1,300 deg.). Oh yeah and very little smoke on this setting too. I did tow the same weight on this setting without a problem until I went past 1/2 throttle. I'm looking forward to getting a clutch so I can play a little more.

My opinion:

I really like the Max Energy! This will be my choice until something else comes along. This programmer is very driver friendly and the power is nice and smooth. The only thing I don't like about it is the 18 minute download time. For you guys wanting smoke I would not buy the Hypertech. On the other hand, you guys looking for something to tow with and have good performance this is the one. Plus you won't get soot on the side of your trailer. I'm not sure on the MPG increase on the Max Energy. I hope to report back on this in the next couple of day.

This test is something that I did on my own and not for anyone directly. I wanted to see what worked on my C/C and pass that information onto other C/C owners. As you well know performance options are slim for us C/C guys. I am not bashing either of these products, they just didn't fulfill my needs as far as a programmer goes. Both PPE and Bully Dog are respectable companies and offer great products to all of us diesel guys. Sorry for such a long thread.

You can purchase any of these from Keven at K2 Diesel Performance. Just shoot him a PM!

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Excellent write up Chris:thumbsup

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yes indeed nice write up, I want to hear some news on the hypertech programmer and see how that works out, thanks for the info Chris.

·
Registered
867 Posts
good write up...wana do some stuff to my truck re better gas milage and feul and oil filter set ups but am afraid l;ll get screwed...guess l'll start with basics...amsoil for fluids and look into air filters

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! There are not a lot of options out for the C/C trucks right now. I run through about $400.00 a week in fuel and its past getting old. With the help of Keven @ K2 I'm going to try and narrow down what is the best all around towing and performance programmer/module for the C/C trucks. Most of us do not buy these trucks to hot rod, we buy them to work. I am looking forward to testing the Hypertech Max Energy as well. Hypertech has always been on the conservative side as far as power. With the three levels on the Max Energy it just may be the ticket for towing and performance.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
great info, thanks for the write-up! I want to hear what the Edge with Attitude will do on the C/C

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
great info, thanks for the write-up! I want to hear what the Edge with Attitude will do on the C/C
It's not currently compatible with the C&C.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It's not currently compatible with the C&C.
good to know, I was just about to buy one! Thanks for saving me a costly mistake. Ok, so I guess I will be coming to you for a hypertech programmer in the near future. And where can I get a double disc clutch to prevent slipping?

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
good to know, I was just about to buy one! Thanks for saving me a costly mistake. Ok, so I guess I will be coming to you for a hypertech programmer in the near future. And where can I get a double disc clutch to prevent slipping?
I can help you with a DD as well:D:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
1 stop shopping, that's what its about. Let me save some pennies and I will be calling you soon! :$:
That'll work:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Awesome write up. I'm going to show it to the tuning department so they can answer your concerns about the stock clutch holding up to stage 3.

Hypertech's dyno room while the CC tunes were being developed :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Awesome write up. I'm going to show it to the tuning department so they can answer your concerns about the stock clutch holding up to stage 3.

Hypertech's dyno room while the CC tunes were being developed :thumbsup

Great pics, glad to see you guys are developing parts for our C&C trucks

·
Registered
35 Posts
Darnell, in the near future what other tunes will be avaliabe for us without dpf and egrs who just use our trucks offroad? Thanks for the hard work.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I won't be sending mine in to be de-tuned :lol3:

Actually I'd like to see a little more fuel on the low end (leave the timing alone) on stage 3. This would not help the clutch! :rof

Thanks for the comments guys. Keven at K2 had a lot to do with this as well. Thanks again Keven :thumbsup

When something else comes out I would like to add it to the list. Hint Hint Keven

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I won't be sending mine in to be de-tuned :lol3:

Actually I'd like to see a little more fuel on the low end (leave the timing alone) on stage 3. This would not help the clutch! :rof

Thanks for the comments guys. Keven at K2 had a lot to do with this as well. Thanks again Keven :thumbsup

When something else comes out I would like to add it to the list. Hint Hint Keven

Don't worry...I gotcha covered Chris:thumbsup:beer

1 - 20 of 35 Posts