Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my truck used with no FOBs. A friend of mine had an old one for a Dodge truck he totaled that he gave me and I want to program it to my truck. The manual says how to program extras if you already have one but says to call a dealer if you dont already have a programmed one. Does anyone know how to do it?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To do it yourself, yes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I went by the Dodge house yesterday to see about one for my son's 98 4x4 Durango. They said $47 for the fob and oh yea, you have to bring the truck up here for us to program the truck to match the fob. $36. I was gonna pick one up for him, but geesh. When I told him how much it was gonna cost him, he said screw it, wasn't that important.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ehhh... Thats kinda high. Maybe Ill take it by the dealer I juts bought the truck from and see if they will program mine for free.. Worth a try.

·
Registered
830 Posts
just dropped the truck off at the stealership for a tranny tsb. they charged me 346 for that and wanted another $215 bucks for a new programmed key:thud: my truck only came with one key. guess it's gonna stay that way. i could break a damn window out if i lock my key in the truck and it would still cost less.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just get a key cut at Wal-Mart or hardware store and keep somewhere on your truck. It will open the door but not start the truck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have an uncle who is a mechanic at a dodge dealership. He told me they have to get in there with the scanner and enter the VIN number, and whole bunch of crap to program the FOB. I'm still waiting for the chance to try programming an old FOB for my '06.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Just buy an aftermarket alarm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sir, do what I did when I lost one of mine--had a transponder-less key cut--it gets you back inside, with the alarm blaring until you turn the transponder key in the ignition------lot cheaper than playing along with Dodges scam on these keys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like the "7500" mile oil change span advertised but never allowed on the 07-the key crap is a total rip off---last adventure with Chrysler for me!

·
Registered
374 Posts
when I bought mine after losing one(had 2 when i bought). I went online and bought one for 25.00 it think and i came with directions for programming the "new" Fob with the "old" one. worked great and no stealership..

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
the key crap is a total rip off---last adventure with Chrysler for me!
If you think that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, you may be in for a surprise.

At least Chrysler is making the tools available for locksmiths to purchase that will allow them to cut and code replacement keys. In Europe, immobilizers with coded keys have been in place for 10+ years, and just in the last 2 years the US court systems finally forced at least one European car manufacturer to make the tools necessary for cloning keys available to non-dealerships.

Looking in the crystal ball, you can expect the next "improvement" from all car manufacturers to be anti-theft EVERYTHING. When your car leaves the factory, every component will be electronically coded to the VIN number. If you go to a junkyard and get a replacement alternator, the VIN number won't match so the new alternator won't work! Buy a rebuilt starter at Napa? You'd still need to have the dealership code it for your vehicle...assuming that Napa can even rebuild it and clear the coding.

I'm surprised that nobody has started a class-action suit against Chrysler over these keys yet. I've received notices of class settlements for all of my other vehicles.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts