Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a good controller? Looks to be the fanciest. Wanted some thoughts from those that have it. And does it have a lever thing to manually engage the trailer brakes? thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have the P3 and use it when pulling my 40' 5th wheel. I can easily say it is the best brake controller I have ever used.

·
Registered
35 Posts
:agree2: I have used the reese activator and activator 2 which worked well (about $70 and $90 respectivly). My last trailer I bought has electric over hydraulic brakes and the P3 would do both electric and electric over hydraulic. I picked mine up for about 130 on ebay with the cord to plug right in. This thing totally rocks!!! It brakes you proportional to what the vehicle is, so you don't feel the difference between your truck brakes and trailer brakes. Money well spent!!!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have it and love it. if something happend to mine I would buy another one tomorrow without even looking for something else. That says something to me because I am always looking for something different. It is that good.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would agree with everyone else. I have towed my 5th wheel using the Prodigy for over 4yrs now and it is the best controller I have had. As mentioned it has the manual slide and also has 3 boost levels for increased braking. I like to run boost level 2 while at highway speeds.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The Prodigy and P3 are different, on the outside anyways. I think they are the same otherwise. The Prodigy is the first pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the P3. Until this last weekend it worked perfectly. I couldn't have asked for better operation. This last weekend for some reason it stopped working. I had to unplug the plug-in from the back of the unit, then plug it back in to get it to work. I have had to do this twice in the last 8 days. Hopefully someone on here can explain this to me...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I have the P3. Until this last weekend it worked perfectly. I couldn't have asked for better operation. This last weekend for some reason it stopped working. I had to unplug the plug-in from the back of the unit, then plug it back in to get it to work. I have had to do this twice in the last 8 days. Hopefully someone on here can explain this to me...

There is only one thing to do in this case. Take it to your local Tekonsha dealer and have them replace it. tekonsha is great on there warranty stuff!!

I have had my P3 for about 6 months and made a few trips with it and love it!! Like the extra little features over the Prodigy I had

chris

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have had differant controllers, and I can say that the old vehicles without ABS had the best control, using actual brake line pressure. I have seen other companies using a pressure sensor in the brake line for trucks with ABS. There is no better way to get info for the controller to brakes. With my prodigy I adjust it to where I feel good that it will stop on a freeway at a pretty good distance, then when I get off the freeway and do around town driving, the brakes are way to sensitive {grab}. The controller has no way to tell how how much your braking when going real slow, it just sees that you have applied the brakes through the brake switch. I never had this problem with a controller that uses the brake fluid pressure to adjust power through the controller. LOOK FOR A CONTROLLER THAT USES BRAKE PRESSURE SENSOR. I wish I could tell you wich one to use, hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about. If you want to buy my prodigy, I would sell it. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I think it is called braketech or brakesmart or something like that. It does still have a pressure switch that works on the brake lines. I have seen it and it is pricey though.

BrakeSmart - 877-338-7373

try that and see if I am not just imagining things. I tend to do that.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a prodigy in my truck and I love it.

I used to use the voyager made by the same company, and the prodigy is a night and day difference.

I will never use anything else!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have had differant controllers, and I can say that the old vehicles without ABS had the best control, using actual brake line pressure. I have seen other companies using a pressure sensor in the brake line for trucks with ABS. There is no better way to get info for the controller to brakes. With my prodigy I adjust it to where I feel good that it will stop on a freeway at a pretty good distance, then when I get off the freeway and do around town driving, the brakes are way to sensitive {grab}. The controller has no way to tell how how much your braking when going real slow, it just sees that you have applied the brakes through the brake switch. I never had this problem with a controller that uses the brake fluid pressure to adjust power through the controller. LOOK FOR A CONTROLLER THAT USES BRAKE PRESSURE SENSOR. I wish I could tell you wich one to use, hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about. If you want to buy my prodigy, I would sell it. Just my .02 worth.
Something was wrong, must have not been set up right. I have over 300,000 towing miles with a Prodigy and its never done the grab thing. And thats with over 200 different trailers.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mine has just started doing this. I've had it for about 5 years and love it, but recently when I have it adjusted for towing on the freeway, if I exit and start coming to a stop it will grab and lock the brakes even with very slight pressure. It is very annoying. I'm not sure if something is goin bad inside or what.
I'm thinking about trying the P3.

David

·
Registered
706 Posts
I agree with Powermizer

The most direct and best way to measure how fast you want to stop is to monitor the brake line pressure - it will tell the controller instantaneously how hard you are pushing on the brake pedal.

Years ago (early 80s pre ABS) I had a brake controller that worked off of the actual brake line pressure - the manual handle would actually move when you stepped on the brakes - It was simple and the best controller I ever had. The Brakesmart and the Maxbrake now use electronic sensors to read the brake line pressure. I have a Brakesmart and do not hesitate to highly recommend it.

The P3 is less expensive, easier to install and obviously has a lot of satisfied users. It would be interesting to hear the opinion of someone who has used both the P3 and the Brakesmart.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Its probably not a very good comparison but I have an old Kelsey Hays pressure activated controller in my old chevy dually and it doesnt work near as well as my P3 in the Dodge. But the Kelsey Hays is about 18 years old.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have the Prodigy P3 and if you adjust it the way the manual tells you it works excellent. As the trailer brakes wear you can compensate a little bit with the controller but there is apoint where you may actually have to adjust the brakes on the trailer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Install

Will this wire up to the factory plug in harness that came with my 02? Is it that simple other than initial setup after install? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
228 Posts
i have one and love it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts