Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has tried to trade their truck in lately on a newer one... the dealerships in my area (Houston) aren't wanting to give me much of anything for my truck... I'm talking 5-6 thousand less than KBB trade in, I've gone to two dealers local and called one in San Antonio, and same story all around. I mean my truck has 148k miles on it, but it's mint and has every option on it but 4x4. they blame the low trade in values on the skyrocketing cost of diesel, and i can understand, but they're still selling their new and used trucks for a lot of money! Something has to give, either more trade in money or less expensive prices. Just trying to get some feedback here these damn dealers are frustrating me :ah:

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have heard of guys only getting offered 16K on a new Cummins. It's ridiculous :thud:!!! I'd sell it on your own if you really want to get rid of it. I'd bet you can get a little less than you want and much more than the dealer will give. From my selling experience eBay gives the best exposure, make sure you leave your phone # so buyers can contact you. This works well if it's priced right.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yea dealers are nutz

I went to planet dodge in houston, I live in schulenburg. They only offered me 19,500 for my truck and it only has 45,000 miles on it. look at my pics man and tell me it is only worth that. :peelout

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Dealers are a big rip off. They'll give you 19.5 and turn around and sell it for around 25. Bunch of crap.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I worked for a local Dodge dealer, you should see how bad they will rape you and some people just take it. I wouldnt take a price lower than KBB or NADA.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i wish i had a pic on my laptop so i could post one of my truck, i had to laugh at the guy when they were telling me 9 or 10k for the truck!!! I told him you could sell the motor alone for almost that, not to mention it has leather and infinity sound, etc, etc... just aggravates me i'm gonna go ahead and sell privately, just is annoying cause i have never had these kind of problems trading in before. Also thinking about just giving up and buying a cheapo 1/2 ton gasser for work and keeping my truck till it turns into dust :T:

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
your better off selling it on your own time and then just buying a new one

trading a car in is a joke and it always has been one

·
Registered
167 Posts
I heard somone tried to trade theres in and the dealer wouldnt even take it. Said they cant sell em

·
Here to learn
1,440 Posts
We were going to trade in my finace's 2000 Grand Vitara on a used car. Granted it's only work like 3k, they came out and wanted to give us $300 for it. I said no way in hell, it's only got about 60k on it. They will screw you anyway they can.

·
Where's my sparkplugs????
1,046 Posts
Wow. Maybe the value of Diesels has gone down. I traded in my Duramax w/ 123k for 21k which I thought was a deal. I'm glad I traded it in when I did!

·
Premium Member
19,810 Posts
i had the same problem a few years back on a GMC i had. the truck listed for 19 and they wanted to give me 8 on a swap on a cummins. glad i waited if found mine i have now after a long wait and paid cash. i have to say i'll ride a bike to work and get up a hour early before to ge there before i sell my truck. we have to draw the line somewhere right?

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
If you're trading it in, focus on the difference. Get the invoice price of the new truck you are looking at. Get the KBB trade in value on your truck and if the dealer can't get to a price difference you're comfortable with, just walk away laughing. They hate that. I've had them follow me to my car wanting to give me another price.

Dealers make their money on used cars and service. New cars are just the "point of conception" if you will for the business.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I heard somone tried to trade theres in and the dealer wouldnt even take it. Said they cant sell em
i had that problem when i was trying to get my cummins, i had a hemi ram fully loaded and they told me they didn't want my trade.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,446 Posts
when i bought mine, i gave 21k out the door. looked in the glove box and all service records were there for the life of the truck. had original owners name and phone #. i called and talked with him about what he had done, etc.. asked him what they gave him for trade ( he traded to an 06 same model as in my sig ) and he said 16k trade in. i was really trying to talk the dealer ship down to 18.5k, but they wouldnt budge, talking about only making 100 bucks on the deal. i told them that this wasnt my first trip around the block and to not b.s. me like that, i knew better.

they'll stick it to ya if you let em, and the dealers wont feel bad one bit.
now that i've put 5k miles on her since i bought it, the trade in has probably dropped to 10k.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Best thing to do is sell it yourself....when I sold my 01 I listed it on autotrader and a week later it was gone. Dealerships were offering 10-14 grand and I sold it for 18. It was in very good condition!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just bought a 03 dodge 4x4 with 90,000 miles:hyper:. I found the guy how traded it in and called him and they only gave him 15,000 for it:thud:. So you would be better of selling it your self. I paid 3,000 dollars more:$:. But trucks seem to be a little more pricey here in Utah:$:

·
Registered
42 Posts
ebay scams

I have heard of guys only getting offered 16K on a new Cummins. It's ridiculous :thud:!!! I'd sell it on your own if you really want to get rid of it. I'd bet you can get a little less than you want and much more than the dealer will give. From my selling experience eBay gives the best exposure, make sure you leave your phone # so buyers can contact you. This works well if it's priced right.
Be carefull, on EBAY. I have been burned selling vehicles on the site and know others that have as well. Price it right in the local paper, autotrader and advertise on the truck. This has always worked best for me. You can also try Carmax, if there is one in your area. They usualy give top trade in dollar and you don't even have to buy from them. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Be carefull, on EBAY. I have been burned selling vehicles on the site and know others that have as well. Price it right in the local paper, autotrader and advertise on the truck. This has always worked best for me. You can also try Carmax, if there is one in your area. They usualy give top trade in dollar and you don't even have to buy from them. Good luck.
If you do the deal in person there is no way you will get scammed. Just make sure the check is legitimate like you would selling from any other ad. Don't ship your vehicle, sign over the title in person. Safe as any other way. :thumbsup

1 - 20 of 24 Posts