Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put a motor in a 02 3500 with an AT. (motor came out of a wrecked 00 5speed). I am having some wierd driveability issues. When I first start it and take off it has no power I mean nothing RPMs come up but very slowly sounds like some one plugged my exhaust. This only happens in the first mile or so. I stop at the store on my way to work get a red bull start the truck and it runs like a bat out of hell. Also sometimes when I put it in gear it starts to lope sometimes bad goes away as soon as I hit the pedal this also happens when i put my foot on the brake after i start it. I put upgrade injecters in the junkyard motor before the install and have upgraded the lift pump. I do get a p0216 code that wont go away are these problems due to bad IP? Recently I drove it about 370 miles and only used 1/3 of a tank of fuel thats better than 23 mpg in a dually. any help would be greatly appreciated this is my first 2nd gen truck had a 96 12v 2500 that has hauled everything and is at 380,000 and still get 20mpg. Thanks

·
Registered
623 Posts
you called it, P0216 is the VP44 death code:doh: but 23 MPG? was that hand calculated? for 23 MPG I would almost be willing to swap pumps even if that one is dead:shock: :lol4:

·
Cummins Whisperer
797 Posts
I've had similar problems in the past. One time was injector pump, the other was apps. With the 0216 you're probably looking at an injector pump issue.
However I seem to remember seeing an apps for auto and another for manual. Possibly a 5 speed apps in an auto truck causing the problem???? Just fishing here.

Oh, btw
:welcome:

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Was there a varation in the sensors, like a missing crank or cam sensor between orginal and replacement. Did you leave all the 02 electronics?? Check lift pump pressure and figure on replace of VP44. Of course you can limp along until it finally quits tomorrow or two years from now. JMHO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I wasnt getting killer mpg's like I thought. found that out when I ran out of fuel today. I'm gonna switch IP's as the with the original motor (the one on this motor has had a tap into one of the wires comimg from under the cover on top of pump)hopefully it will work better. Has anyone had a problem with the motor loping when you put it in gear or even just step on the brake? when i was driving today after I got some fuel it had no power and then it kicked in all of the sudden. is this all due to the vp44? Fuel gauge worked until i filled tank now it goes down to 1/4 and your empty?

·
Premium Member
12,068 Posts
Suspect VP44 issues with internal electronics as you also suspect. The 216 is almost 100% IP code IMO. The good news is still have orginal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts