Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to replace my water pump since my original already had 170,000 miles on it. It was good timing, because once I removed, I found that the bearing was feeling a little rough.

I bought one from O'Reiley's, (not Gates) MasterPro brand. However, the pump will not fit, I could not get the bolts to go in.

Has anyone else had this problem with (not Gates) MasterPro? I searched this forum, but the only thing I found is a couple of people complaining that their pump lasted only a few thousand miles. Now I'm wondering if I should return and get another brand. I saw some folks recommend Napa, but not sure what brand they sell.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Edit: the pump I bought was actually a MasterPro and not a Gates so apologies for getting that incorrect.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Gates are sold by genos it's odd that the bolts wouldn't fit. Did you double check the orientation of the pump? The napa pumps are bosh. I have been through three of them...thank goodness for the lifetime warranty and the fact that they are so easy to change.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, because of the different offset of the bolts, the pump can go in only one way. I tried putting one bolt in first and then the other. That didn't work. Then I switched, trying to put the other bolt in first. Still no go.

I know it would be strange to have pump not fit because they gotta sell thousands of these. But A defect is still possible, I guess.

What is it about these dodges that different things are so mysterious and so difficult to design for? Steering linkage, steering box, water pumps????

Based on your input I will try another Gates pump. Thanks.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well just to make sure I wasn't a DA, I tried to reinstall it once more. No go.

Then I tried to install the old pump, it falls right in, easy to install the bolts, etc.

Conclusion: the boss fit, just inside the o-ring groove, is off a little in terms of location, so it doesn't let the bolts go in the way they are supposed, makes them go in at an angle if you try to put them in.

I'll get another gates pump and try it again.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I wish I hadn't mucked up the Gates brand cuz they have always been good to me for over 30 years, so again, my apologies.

I ended up going back to o'reily's only to find that they did have another new MasterPro pump, however I could tell that it was a return since it had its o-ring installed on the pump with lube right out of the box (it's supposed to come in a bag). I also noticed that the master pro was slightly taller.

I asked what other options they had and they told me I could get a reman by Cardone. So I did. I installed it last night and it slid right in.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Gates are sold by genos it's odd that the bolts wouldn't fit. Did you double check the orientation of the pump? The napa pumps are bosh. I have been through three of them...thank goodness for the lifetime warranty and the fact that they are so easy to change.

I bought a Tru-flo water pump from NAPA, and it's a Gates water pump. Gates is the supplier of water pumps for NAPA. I ordered an extra water pump in the mail and the Tru-flow by NAPA is the exact same water pump as the Gates sold by Geno's and Rockauto. The Bosh water pump is sold by Pep Boys. Rock Auto has the best prices on the Gates water pump. The Gates water pumps are made in China. You'll probably not find a water pump that's made in the U.S. as these parts are being made in places where the manufacturing is cheapest.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I stand corrected. The last one I picked up from there was a tru-flo (just checked the receipt), but the the first one I picked up was a bosh..:confused013:..that was several years back though. After the oem pump went out I have been through three from napa going back about 5-6yrs. First one lasted 3 1/2yrs, next one lasted 2yrs, and the the current one has been in the truck since last June. Usually when I go exchange I just walk out with the pump in hand and leave the box for the core...didn't pay much attention to box in the store.

·
Registered
123 Posts
water pump on my 2005 just went sunday. my buddy is a dodge tech and priced out a new cummins one for me along with a thermostat and its just about 300 bucks. called napa and its about 85 bucks for their pump and thermostat. so do you guys still say the napa brand pumps are at least somewhat respectable? changing jobs right now and saving 200 bucks could help me out alot .

·
Registered
932 Posts
water pump on my 2005 just went sunday. my buddy is a dodge tech and priced out a new cummins one for me along with a thermostat and its just about 300 bucks. called napa and its about 85 bucks for their pump and thermostat. so do you guys still say the napa brand pumps are at least somewhat respectable? changing jobs right now and saving 200 bucks could help me out alot .

Mine went out and I need one quickly so I bought a NAPA water pump with a lifetime warranty. I then ordered an extra Gates water pump from Rockauto. They were the identical water pumps as far as I could see. The Gates from Rockauto was $28.xx, the napa was about $49.xx and the Gates at Genos was $34.xx-$39. I think all the Gates water pumps are made in China. I figured both Napa and Genos usually sell good parts. Geno's probably would not sell it if it were junk. Cummings sells a water pump that's made in I think Brazil for well over $100.

I am not sure how well the Napa thermostats will work for you.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mine went out and I need one quickly so I bought a NAPA water pump with a lifetime warranty. I then ordered an extra Gates water pump from Rockauto. They were the identical water pumps as far as I could see. The Gates from Rockauto was $28.xx, the napa was about $49.xx and the Gates at Genos was $34.xx-$39. I think all the Gates water pumps are made in China. I figured both Napa and Genos usually sell good parts. Geno's probably would not sell it if it were junk. Cummings sells a water pump that's made in I think Brazil for well over $100.

I am not sure how well the Napa thermostats will work for you.

what thermostat would you choose to go with? just grab the oem one from dodge?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.