Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead:Looking for some fast info on the 6.7l dodge cummins
Have a 2007 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab, bought used with 193000km on it
Ran great for 14 months, could not be happier.
Then Regeneration instructions came on, new with Diesel so did not know what this was.
Took to dealer and he said he needed to Regenerate it, took him 3 days to do so.
I got it back and 24 hours later needed to take it back, had no power and puffing black smoke.
Dealer then cleaned the EGR valve, soaked it over night and 2 days later got it back, and in 24 hours had no power.
Took it back to dealer, he said he needed to clean the EGR again and clear code. Could not clear code and the Dodge tech said to replace the EGR to the tune of $800 dollars part cost.
Been at dealer for 3 days.
My question is, should I just delete the EGR and what problems would this create? Also what would all be necessary to do so?
I am not too knowledgeable with these engines and the problems that are created by taking things off, but I tell you I am frustrated with this run around with the dealer and am just about to take the EGR off as well as the CAT.
Would this be advisable? Can anyone advise me on this?????:S::S:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
It's blowing black smoke and he's claiming it's the egr valve? It should blow black smoke. Your dpf is cracked. The egr valve could be messed up but why would he clean it again two days later after cleaning once already? I would just get rid of the garbage it will only cost about 1000 bucks for the dpf delete and the egr delete. Plus you'll get 3-4 mpg extra. I would just get it away from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Reading your post I would say that the truck is out of the factory warranty, correct? You also live in Canada ?

If that is the case then I believe you can do the deletes and not worry about the EPA emission rules.

If so I would recommend the following things to do.
1. Delete the EGR and Cooler.
2. Delete the DPF, cat and Nox filters in the exhaust system. Buy a new 5" or 4" TBE for your truck.
3. Either buy a Smarty or a Black Max programmer you will need that in order to keep the truck out of limp mode. Follow the directions supplied by either Smarty and or Black Max programmers installation instructions.
4. Do a search on here under looking for information on deletes.

I have done my over a year ago and my truck has better fuel mileage and no issues the engine or CELS.
Jim

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
:banghead:Looking for some fast info on the 6.7l dodge cummins
Have a 2007 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab, bought used with 193000km on it
Ran great for 14 months, could not be happier.
Then Regeneration instructions came on, new with Diesel so did not know what this was.
Took to dealer and he said he needed to Regenerate it, took him 3 days to do so.
I got it back and 24 hours later needed to take it back, had no power and puffing black smoke.
Dealer then cleaned the EGR valve, soaked it over night and 2 days later got it back, and in 24 hours had no power.
Took it back to dealer, he said he needed to clean the EGR again and clear code. Could not clear code and the Dodge tech said to replace the EGR to the tune of $800 dollars part cost.
Been at dealer for 3 days.
My question is, should I just delete the EGR and what problems would this create? Also what would all be necessary to do so?
I am not too knowledgeable with these engines and the problems that are created by taking things off, but I tell you I am frustrated with this run around with the dealer and am just about to take the EGR off as well as the CAT.
Would this be advisable? Can anyone advise me on this?????:S::S:
Take it to a diesel shop to find out exactly what is wrong. Yes deleting the EGR and DPF will fix if it is just the EGR that is the issue, or plugged DPF. Doing the deletes will keep you from sooting up the engine and turbo. Deletes are a good thing for these engines.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
This reminds me of one of the times I took my truck in to get warranty work done. I didn't even get out of the parking lot and CEL came back on after he replaced the o2 sensors. He apparantly missed the egr cooler servo motor code that was also in the computer. I thought that was odd when that's all he said was wrong with it. I said to myself people actually pay these idiots out of their own pocket to work on these things?

·
Registered
13,691 Posts
Reading your post I would say that the truck is out of the factory warranty, correct? You also live in Canada ?

Jim
Depending on where he lives in Canada he could still need emissions testing with a sniffer so deleting the stuff is not an option.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got the run around when my truck had problems with no power. Dealer did not believe me due to no codes. Final after almost getting hit at intersections several times got a code. Dealer had it over night and replaced O2 sensors. Didnt get out of the parking lot and code was back. With out even looking at my truck they said it was the turbo. Why this time they trusted me saying it was broke and not last time. I left the truck over night so the could "clean the Turbo". Went to pick up the truck second time with new sensors and a so called cleaned out turbo. I didnt get 2 miles away and no power again. Took it back and they said they would have to drive it to confirm problem. Waited for a mechanic so I could drive him around so they could believe me. They ordered a turbo and a long week later I got my truck back. Truck runs fine now. Sorry for long story but my point is I was told by a friend who used to work at dealer in sales that They have to follow procedures thats why they first change O2 sensors then clean turbo to finally change what the problem was all along. The turbo. I cant wait till warranty is up or its paid for which ever comes first so I can let my truck do what it was intended to do from cummins no dodge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts