Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally posted in non powertrain... sorry :spank:

So NW PA got ~2ft of snow since yesterday and I got hung up going out of the driveway. No problem I thought but I put it in 4WD and the truck wouldnt budge (should have saw my dad trying to pull it with a reg cab short bed dakota ). Before I describe my issue the previous owner installed a manual push-button type throttle cable (similar as on old fire trucks) to I believe control the vacuum for the 4WD. 4-HI acted as though it was not there and the transfer case (I think) was popping the truck out of 4-LO. Could it be the vacuum switch or when the previous owner had the auto tranny rebuilt ~30k ago could the linkages have been adjusted incorrectly? Does anyone know what is causing this problem?

I plan on checking the vacuum lines tomorrow when i have some daylight and ill try to spin the front drive shaft if i can clear enough snow from under it....

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Mine had a grinding, popping out in lo and nothing in hi and I ended up rebuilding it because a clip popped off inside. It chewed up the clip and the shift fork but wasn't bad to fix.

·
Registered
210 Posts
hey I have this same problem...I am hearing a grinding and popping noise while in 4wd, could this be the same problem and how expensive was it to fix if it is the same?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I did all the work myself, download the manual from here and it's very easy to follow! I think I spent less than $100 in parts and it shifts smooth as butter now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.