Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My truck was having issues this morrning and i had it towed to the local dealership. Supposed full warrenty.
They tell me that the particulat filter is over 80 percent full and they have to run a shop regen to the truck at a cost to me of 500-600 dollars.
the truck never told me of the regen needing to be done at all.
When i asked about why this has happened and why it is not covered under my supposed gold coverage this is not because it is the oil i am using??????

Well i phoned the only shop that sold me oil to do my last change that was shell rottel t6 full sny. 700 miles ago
Up till that it has been mr lube primum pacage all the way and i belive that is moble 1.
Any input?:banghead:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
how much oil can i be burning to clog the filter up?
He also talked about needing oil with a low ash content and the oil i have been using a high ash content?
He failed to answer the quetion of what they use.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I call bullsh*t. You know how they force regen? Hook up computer and press few buttons then drive it for about 30 min to hour. The truck should easily keep up with dpf needs.

Find new dealer. They are gunna make ya take it where it hurts......the pocket.

The oil should stay below the cylinder rings and diesel above the rings.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
It is very important to use the proper oil in these trucks. I would be claiming the repairs against the place that did the oil change. Get an analysis of the oil that the dealership drains out of the truck. If it is NOT CJ-4 compliant, they put the wrong oil in your engine! Just because it is Synthetic, does NOT mean low sulphur. CI-4 plus oil will reak havock with your particle filter.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ok ignore me. I still thought the dpf could keep up. Change oil and drive it HARD. It should clear itselfs. You are at 80% you got a little wiggle room yet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the shell t-6 bottle says cj-4 approved. that is the one change i did myself. the last one.
Goes on about how it is aproved for todays after treament exhast systems blah blah.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also talked to mr lube and they have the bottle to take to the dealership and show them what i am using.
He is also going to phone them tommorow morning and talk them. their bottle says all the right things as well.

·
Diesel Filled Veins!
5,376 Posts
These guys are right, the CJ-4 oil is correct and the dealership knows nothing about the oil without an analysis including ash or soot content! These trucks produce tons of soot due to the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and make the oil black within a short amount of time. The colour of the oil does NOT indicate it's ability to function ie lubricate and suspend ash/soot from the EGR.

I know you have the dreaded AirCare BS down there in the lower mainland, but if you can, punch out the CAT and DPF, and run either a Smarty or an H&S programmer (can't remember which one) and when you have AirCare testing, set the programmer at 1/2 power to pass. I don't know what emissions testing the AirCare does on a diesel but I'm pretty sure you have the exhaust system inspected for compliance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
45,000 miles 91 000 kms,
the truck was not going when you step on the throtle. idle was going down to 400 then jump to 1100 and stink like fuel.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
i am willing to bet, that the dealers next move will be the cold air intake. it dosnt allow the PROPER air temp for complete regen. i have seen them try to use this excuse......

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
My truck was having issues this morrning and i had it towed to the local dealership. Supposed full warrenty.
They tell me that the particulat filter is over 80 percent full and they have to run a shop regen to the truck at a cost to me of 500-600 dollars.
the truck never told me of the regen needing to be done at all.
When i asked about why this has happened and why it is not covered under my supposed gold coverage this is not because it is the oil i am using??????

Well i phoned the only shop that sold me oil to do my last change that was shell rottel t6 full sny. 700 miles ago
Up till that it has been mr lube primum pacage all the way and i belive that is moble 1.
Any input?:banghead:
Show them the oil. Should put that to rest.

First of all, a regen burns out the carbon, not ash. The reason we use low
ash oil, is that the ash doesn't burn out - it accumulates. If your DPF is full
of ash from wrong oil, a regen isn't going to fix it.

If your DPF is full of carbon, then a regen is appropriate, but it probably
isn't due to oil burning. Probably due to driving habits. In this case, should
be covered by warranty.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yesterday after finding this out i called everyone that had anything to do with my truck.
was getting mr lube to call them, had the parts store where i bought the shell oil get in touch with shell canada about the claim.

i was told to get thier claims in writing to send to the oil companys.
I got off work mad as hell as i have been fumeing since the call yesterday.
going to mr lube to get a bottle of the oil and my cell rings.
hi this is dodge. we have run the numbers and my truck is now under warrenty so no charge. the oil claim has been dismised as well. yeeha:party018:
It dawnd on me today that i have no choice but to fight about the oil claim if i want the rest of my warrenty to be valid. If the motor was to break they could always just say you were using the wrong oil.

As far as driving habits yes i live in the city and do drive in rush hour traffic. but i do hwy driving more than abit it is not always stop and go. I also tow a drywall trailer around that is 5000 pounds empty.
I have to say that i don't drive it hard though. is that what it takes to keep these filters clean?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ya the cold air kit.
I think they were hoping there was a tunner in it so they can blame that.
The only reason all this crap is on my truck is for warrenty purposes and air care. i have stuck to just cosmetic mods up untill i hit the 100000 km mark.
then i raise the gvw skip aircare and go tear this crap off.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
As far as driving habits yes i live in the city and do drive in rush hour traffic. but i do hwy driving more than abit it is not always stop and go. I also tow a drywall trailer around that is 5000 pounds empty.
I have to say that i don't drive it hard though. is that what it takes to keep these filters clean?
The fact that you live in the city and you admit to not driving your truck hard is irrelevant as far as warranty is concerned. It does not say in your manual to drive the hell out of your truck to help fix the emmissions system that dodge didn't get right or you won't be covered. Otherwise they wouldn't be selling the trucks to people who live in Manahattan or San Francisco where there's no room to stretch it's legs. I have 32K miles on mine and haven't towed yet, so you're driving harder than I am. But I live in a huge city with plenty of highway driving all around.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.